MP Campaign: The 7 Seasons (Add-On) - Try it now!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rya

MP Campaign: The 7 Seasons (Add-On) - Try it now!

Post by Rya »

Hello. I made a multiplayer campaign for 2 players recently and need people to test it for balancing.

Gameplay:
The campaign doesn't have any gameplay 'specials' like shops and upgrading units. It just has the traditional "Battle for Wesnoth" gameplay. Pretty much like many of the official campaigns (just for 2 players). The difficulty starts at "normal" and then gets continuously harder. You will fully keep your units after each scenario and you can take 40% of your gold to the next scenario (but never less than 100 gold). So if you are playing well, the next scenario will be slightly easier. In the rare case that one of the two leaders dies but you still win the scenario (it's only lost of both die), the player who lost his leader will get a peasant leader as replacement (this is some sort of penalty for losing the leader without disabling the player from continue, you can still level the peasant to a stronger unit).

Story:
The campaigns doesn't have any written story. However, the beautiful scenery of the maps tells its own story. You venture through a land that has a lot of different themes: Summer, Autumn, Winter, Cave, Spring, Desert and Water. The behavior of the ai might also give away some background on the location. The next scenario always starts at the position where the previous one ended. So you could actually put all the scenario together to get an overview map of the world.

The reason why I made it is because I noticed that there are hardly any multiplayer campaigns and those that exist usually don't fully follow the official BfW gameplay.

I added it as an add-on now under the name "The 7 Seasons". Please try it. I really would love to watch you playing it... I can't watch at least leave me a replay.
Last edited by Rya on February 22nd, 2010, 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Re: MP Campaign: The 7 Seasons - Beta testers needed

Post by Yogibear »

Glad to see that there is work for mp campaigns. I'd like to know if this is for 1.6 or 1.8, as we are working intensively on removing mp-campaign bugs for the upcoming 1.8 release. If you want bugs to be fixed, the best way to go is putting them in the bugtracker. We won't be doing anything for 1.6 however, as that release will be soon obsolete more or less.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Rya

Post by Rya »

For now the campaign is for 1.6, but I hope it still works for 1.8. :-)

Unfortunately I couldn't find a single person to test it yesterday, I just wasted my day looking 15 hours for someone. *sigh*

The main problem is that the 1st player needs to be the host or the level advancing won't work properly because then the recall lists will get lost and host gets control on all players on the next scenario...
But that also means I need to find someone who knows where his campaigns folder is (not so easy). And find a way to send the files to him.

The only alternative would be to make it as an add-on, but I can't figure out how this works. I think I need to write some more WML files for it (right now it's only 7 scenario files linked together; I tried to keep the wml code to a minimum so it will be more compatible with the 1.8 wesnoth version).
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
Rya

Post by Rya »

Hmm, since I couldn't find any testers I just put it on the add-on server now.

You can find it as "The 7 Seasons Campaign".

I tried to update it again but it didn't work. :-/
How do I update it? I changed the pbl file a little (the title and the version), but it always uploads it with the old title and version number.
Any idea?
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
Rya

Post by Rya »

Ok understood how the add-on server works now. Some games have been played already, but nobody played further than the first scenario yet. Any challengers? Also I'll change the title.
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
Rya

Re: MP Campaign: The 7 Seasons (Add-On) - Try it now!

Post by Rya »

I uploaded version 1.0.2 now. Thanks for everyone playing the campaign so far. Not many got really far in yet. The furthest group with default settings is on scenario 5 now.

Changes in version 1.0.2:
- the bosses in scenario 4, 6 and 7 now need 105xp instead of 84xp
- changed an ugly part in the autumn part of the world
- changed the ai in scenario 4 a little to advance a little further instead of sticking to one part of the map

The changes should be backwards compatible.
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

sounds interesting, im sure ill check it out and tell u how i liked it.
to stirr curiosity for your doing, you should in any case put one of the many certainly beautifully designed maps you are talking about, online, for instance large or small images.

alternatively u can also work with

Titles

and italics / bold

to give ur thread a better structure

and of c dont forget to upload extra gimmicks, like replays from other players
Rya

Post by Rya »

Players are free to upload their replays here.
You can also get them from the replay server if you just sort by name and search for replays named "The 7 Seasons (something)", but they are damaged anyway because they don't work for save states yet...

Images of the maps would just spoil the campaign, I don't like that idea. Clear the campaign to see them. :-)
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

the images here not in the game
Rya

Post by Rya »

I updated this campaign to the 1.8.0 syntax now, it's available as an add-on again now. Since multiplayer campaigns still won't work with computer players, I couldn't get to test it yet, though. If you find any errors, post them here and I'll look into them.
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

I'm glad more people are making mp campaigns. That being said...
Since multiplayer campaigns still won't work with computer players, I couldn't get to test it yet
That's a really unhealthy attitude. You can certainly play all sides locally, and testing with the computer will never give you an accurate balance anyway.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Rya

Post by Rya »

jb wrote:That's a really unhealthy attitude. You can certainly play all sides locally, and testing with the computer will never give you an accurate balance anyway.
Well I didn't change anything about the balance, so no need to test that, and I don't like playing myself so much either, I prefer watching others. :-)
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
Nath

Post by Nath »

So undeads in 4 map doesnt have bigger mp? ;)
Rya

Post by Rya »

The movement point increase was already in Version 1.0.2.
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
Rya

Post by Rya »

I updated the MP campaign to 1.0.3 today. Because the AI is slightly harder in 1.8, I made the scenarios a little bit easier. Now they should be beatable again by above average players. :-)
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".