Where did you get your username from?

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Hulavuta

Where did you get your username from?

Post by Hulavuta »

I'm curious.

If you want to know mine:
My Wiki Page wrote: Maybe I haven't told you this, but I LOVE dinosaurs. Dinosaurs were a big part of the choosing of my username, for reasons I will now state. As a kid, we would always go to my uncle's house whenever there was a party or something, and we would always play on his Nintendo 64. (You can start to tell this was a long time ago.) One of the games we liked to play was Diddy Kong Racing, and my favorite stage, I could swear that the background music was saying "Hulavuta." Mix this with the fact that I loved Dinosaurs, and dinosaurs were plentiful in this game. As you might have found out from the forums, I like writing stories too. I was still around the age where I played with Lego dinosaurs and stuff, and when I played, I would play out the epic story of Hulavuta, the dinosaur that could transform into other dinosaurs, (Keep in mind I was a kid, and my stories were still really childish and cheesy.) and the name just stuck. My disability in creating usernames for websites led me to just use it, and then it became a regular thing. The End.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
AtemTheLightning

Re: Where did you get your username from?

Post by AtemTheLightning »

From Yu-Gi-Oh

Pharaoh Atem
Gilford The Lightning
Valkier
Art Contributor

Post by Valkier »

It was the last sound he made.
Win if you can. Lose if you must. But always cheat.
Speedbrain

Post by Speedbrain »

While my username might appear somewhat arrogant, it really isn't. A few years back I needed to get a new email account. I wanted it to be something a little unusual so that I didn't have to have numbers in it. I hate having numbers in a personal email address. So, I asked my friends and my wife for suggestions. I like things that go fast (fighter jets, sports cars, etc.) and I like puzzles, riddles, etc. we decided to merge the two into one name. So speedy things and things you have to use your brain for became speedbrain. And best of all, that email address was not being used, so I didn't have to add numbers to it.
I use it for my username on most things that require registration and it is very rarely already taken.

So, that is where mine came from.

By the way Hulavuta, it is nice to see your dinosaur avatar again. :wink:
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

(Meh, I figured I wasn't worthy of Calvin)

@Valkier: Who's "he"?
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Although I am absolutely not from these parts of the world, I eventually came to understand that in the american culture, "dixie" was meant to design the southern united states. Which actually makes much sense. I originally picked it after "dixieland" music, the early jazz, from New Orleans, a style which I especially like. Hence my use of Louis Armstrong as an avatar (for those of you who wouldn't have recognised him). It fits particularly well in that I play jazz trumpet myself.

For a side bit of history, dixieland music should really be called "new orleans". In fact, it came from a band of Italian chaps from New Orleans who had called their band "The Original Dixieland Jazz Band". They're also the guys who made the first jazz recordings, ever. Of course, the music's origins lay much more with black musician and is heavily derived from Scott Joplin's rag time (Joplin was black, for those who wouldn't know). The blacks called it "new orleans" but, of course, segregation being what it is, especially in those times and in the southern US, the name given to the style by white people stuck more than the one from it's original creators, the blacks. Same story repeats troughout most of the history of popular music in the US, btw. Note that at the time of choosing a user name, I didn't know all this. I dunno what I would've picked else.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

West is the first half of my last name, Westlund. I know it might seem more than a tad unimaginative but the thing is, I used to sign all my artwork "West" back when I was still into that sort of stuff, and some dozen years ago it seemed like an obvious choice for an online alias. I kinda regret it nowadays but I've used it for far too long to change it.
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

Well, my real name is Pedro, it translates to english as Peter, and my friends, teachers and familly have called me Peter since I was 10. Porty is poorly written party, since my friends suck at english. Since last year, I've started to go as Pete rather than Peter.
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Elvish Sovereign, in fact, was part of the name of one of my first units (Elvish Dark Sovereign), a lvl 4 unit with ridiculously overpowered stats (IIRC 15-5 melee magical, 10-3 ranged magical). It had the Elvish Marshal sprite, so when I signed up, that was the avatar I used. I sat for a long time trying to come up with a good nick, but I gave up and just used elvish_sovereign. I definitely wouldn't mind changing it now though, it's a looong name and very tied to Wesnoth, making it difficult (and sometimes strange) when using this nick for other forums.

Oh, and why lowercase? Because I thought this was the username, not the display name; but here, your username IS the display name. So got confused.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I made mine up for an NPC in a D&D campaign which I never used.

Turns out it's a fort somewhere though I didn't know it at the time.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Originally I wanted my username to be Arc, however a friend of mine used to be called Elf Lord Ark, so it seemed a bit unimaginative. I'd had the word pentagon stuck in my head that day (no idea why), so I just added 'arc' into pentagon and ended up with my username. Also it may or may not be a mathematical shape. I was also still playing a bit of Runescape at the time, so at the very beginning I was using Dang It 9000 (Dang It(I had tried about 20 other usernames and they were all taken) 9000(from my favorite Heroscape unit, the Deathwalker 9000)), but after reading the forums a bit before registering I decided it would be better to have a more serious username, since here half of the posts weren't either flamewars or whiners.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

It was given to me at birth.
Speedbrain

Post by Speedbrain »

Gambit wrote:It was given to me at birth.
:shock: Are you...this Gambit? :wink:
Mordocai
Code Contributor

Post by Mordocai »

Well, mines boring but... here goes.

I've always been kind've (unhealthily?) obsessed with the undead/necromancers side of games. When I started playing a lot of fantasy, I decided I wanted a name that (to me) sounded kind've evil and deathish. I knew that the syllable "Mor" was associated with death (mortis, mortem, etc) so I started adding random syllables. I eventually settled on Mordacai. However, I later decided I preferred the 'o' sound to the 'a' sound(more masculine[to me] and more death sounding [again to me]) and decided on Mordocai. Since then, I have used variations of this for all my online identities. Examples of other identities i've had:

Mors Morde
Mors Mortis
Mortis Mors
(Very original, i know :))
And for a bit: Voldain. Don't really know how I came up with that one.
johndh

Post by johndh »

Mine comes from my parents having no imagination. :P
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.