Waterfalls display in Map Editor, but not in game

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
boru

Waterfalls display in Map Editor, but not in game

Post by boru »

I just noticed this.

"Lavafalls" or whatever you might call the effect of putting a lava tile next to a chasm tile, will display in the game, but not waterfalls.

I know waterfalls are cutting-edge new, so is this a "known issue" or a bug?
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Re: Waterfalls display in Map Editor, but not in game

Post by Eleazar »

laval falls are mainline included in 1.8 and long before.

Waterfalls are currently only in add-ons. The editor allows you to use any add-on terrain, but a scenario can't use special terrains unless they are included/referenced by the scenario/campaign WML.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Eleazar wrote:laval falls are mainline included in 1.8 and long before.
??
I don't see them in 1.8.2 map editor.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Anonymissimus wrote:
Eleazar wrote:laval falls are mainline included in 1.8 and long before.
??
I don't see them in 1.8.2 map editor.
They aren't a terrain type you place.

They occur whenever conditions are right, i.e. lava or lava chasm next to chasm, or lava next to lava chasm
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
boru

Post by boru »

Okay, that is what confused me because I didn't select waterfalls, they just "automatically" appeared when placing chasm next to water. I didn't realize it was because of an add-on.

Terrain WML is on my list of things to get familiar with ... still not up to it yet.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

That one is admittedly sneakier than most add-on terrains.
Attempting Lucidity
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Eleazar wrote: They aren't a terrain type you place.

They occur whenever conditions are right, i.e. lava or lava chasm next to chasm, or lava next to lava chasm
I know. Then where do you see a lava fall here ? There seems to be a very tiny one in the top midth picture which I didn't notice before. Lava <-> lava chasm is pure rock however.
lavafall.PNG
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Anonymissimus wrote:I know. Then where do you see a lava fall here ? There seems to be a very tiny one in the top midth picture which I didn't notice before. Lava <-> lava chasm is pure rock however.
Admittedly "lava fall" is an overly dramatic term for the graphics we currently have. I'm simply referring to the custom transition.

And it turns out my memory wan't quite right.

Top-left, Top-middle: That's the lava fall such as it is. It would be nice if it was more dramatic, but i'm not sure if i'll get around to that.

Bottom-left, Bottom-middle: The same transitions should be used here, but they aren't. I've fixed that in trunk.

If you want to see it, in terrain-graphics.cfg immediately below:

Code: Select all

#chasm/lava transitions always below castles/walls
Add this line:

Code: Select all

{WALL_TRANSITION_LF   Qlf              Qx*                               -90  ground  lava-chasm}
Top-right, Bottom-right: I was wrong. We don't actually have custom lava to lava transitions to be used here.
Last edited by Eleazar on July 7th, 2010, 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed code
Attempting Lucidity
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

It didn't work. Neither in core's terrain-graphics nor my add-on's. Never mind since it's not ideal anyway.

@boru
Where did you get your lavafalls from, then ? (add-on name ?)
projects (BfW 1.12):
boru

Post by boru »

Anonymissimus wrote: @boru
Where did you get your lavafalls from, then ? (add-on name ?)
No, it's just the trickly bit in your top middle screenshot. Admittedly, not much of a lavafall, but it was odd to see it there and the waterfalls absent.

Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Anonymissimus wrote:It didn't work. Neither in core's terrain-graphics nor my add-on's. Never mind since it's not ideal anyway.
My bad. The image path has changed. Previous post corrected.
Attempting Lucidity