The User Art Topic

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SpoOkyMagician

Re: The User Art Topic

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

@spell: Reminds me of "The Sims gem above character heads" :lol2:

But, looks cool nonetheless. :)
"You don't have to understand me, I'm just there!" ~ SpoOkyMagician
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
Lx_121

Post by Lx_121 »

hahaha @ sims reference, & i liked that one too; no slight intended by commenting @ the previous upload :)
styles1005

Post by styles1005 »

Izzit just me or does it look like Spell was trying to do a portrait for the Sky Shard/Sky Crystal from the EoM Windsong?
*has nothing else to say*

Necromancy most foul! - Doc Paterson

All hail my new campaign, Lords of the North! Now on the add-ons server!
Spell

Post by Spell »

Ehm. No. I had completly no reference or something for that pic. (What is EoM btw?)
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Era of Myths...(I think)
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
styles1005

Post by styles1005 »

Yup, Era of Myths. Sorry, it just looks a lot like that. Also, that unit has teleport, and the runes reminded me of the animation used by the Watcher, which is a Dwarven unit in (I believe) The Hammer of Thursagan, when it teleports. I couldn't remember if the Sky Shard did a similar thing.
*has nothing else to say*

Necromancy most foul! - Doc Paterson

All hail my new campaign, Lords of the North! Now on the add-ons server!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Odd artistic observation relevant to animation - we all probably know the stereotypical "girly" walk or jog, with the hands much further away from the trunk of the body than the elbows. As compared with the forearms and upper-arms in a direct line, which is considered manly. I've always wondered why that's considered girly, though, because really - who cares if you flap your arms out, or do whatever when you run?

It just occurred to me that there's part of female anatomy that forces (many) women to flare their arms out whilst walking. Hips. If one tried walking like a guy, they'd be in the way of the arms going back and forth. They have to flare out slightly to move around the hips. (Which is exacerbated by how women not only have wider hips, but narrower shoulders, than guys.)

Or so goes my new theory as of a few minutes ago. :P Sound reasonable?
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I know exactly what you're talking about (and I have actually seen it... :roll: ). But there is probably at least some truth in your theory. Although I'm not quite sure what the point is in walking like that... but then, I'm a guy. :P
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Working again. Still something wacky at the hip joint. But comes along quite nicely I must admit. Though a premiere for me. A picture with some movement involved and more than one person though that is not final yet.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Jetrel wrote:Odd artistic observation relevant to animation - we all probably know the stereotypical "girly" walk or jog, with the hands much further away from the trunk of the body than the elbows. As compared with the forearms and upper-arms in a direct line, which is considered manly. I've always wondered why that's considered girly, though, because really - who cares if you flap your arms out, or do whatever when you run?

It just occurred to me that there's part of female anatomy that forces (many) women to flare their arms out whilst walking. Hips. If one tried walking like a guy, they'd be in the way of the arms going back and forth. They have to flare out slightly to move around the hips. (Which is exacerbated by how women not only have wider hips, but narrower shoulders, than guys.)

Or so goes my new theory as of a few minutes ago. :P Sound reasonable?
Jetrel: It's called the carrying angle. :) Much wider in women than men, with the same purpose, ie to clear the hips.
Take a breath.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

@anakayub: Wow, so it's already been documented and classified. :o Fascinating.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Jetrel wrote:@anakayub: Wow, so it's already been documented and classified. :o Fascinating.
I was skeptical of this, though anakayub went to med school and I didn't... Wikipedia says there is considerable overlap of carrying angle between women and men, which fits my experiences. I'm not sure animating female characters or sprites with a "girly jog" is necessary or even desireable. Maybe it just depends upon the context.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

The thing with the human anatomy is that it's more "art" than science; the normal ranges for females/males overlap, but the middle point (average/mode/median) is wider for women than men.
Maybe it just depends upon the context.
This is definitely key.
Take a breath.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

[quote][/quote]
Last edited by Blarumyrran on August 30th, 2014, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.