Mercenaries Era

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Golbeeze

Mercenaries Era

Post by Golbeeze »

Hello, this thread is for feedback and such on the Mercenaries Era created by PK. I haven't been able to contact him about it, but I helped a lot with tweaking, balancing, and bug-finding in the creation so I took it upon myself to fix it up for 1.8 and upload it. I will also hopefully get around to fixing up the two survival maps that come with the era which I created for it in early 1.6.

Some basic information for those who aren't familiar with Mercenaries:
16 factions: Avians, Blight, Cult, Emperor's Guard, Enchanters, Equestrians, Fanatics, Fiends, Highlanders, Hive, Holy Order, Mercenaries, Oracles, Refugees, Slavers, Tribe
Each has its own place in the story of the era, unfortunately I am unaware of where PK may have left a trail of that story. I lost track of my record where I had written down much of the details of the inter-faction rivalries and such.
The first faction was the Mercenaries and the last was the Blight.

Avians mostly fly, as they are birds
Blight are undead
Cult are freaks and mutants
EG are samurai and ninjas
Enchanters are a jack-of-all-trades kind of faction
Equestrians are all horses
Fanatics are another all-around faction, sand based though
Fiends are demons
Highlanders are mountain folk
Hive are all insects
Holy Order are a religious order, highly melee based
Mercs are all around
Oracles are magic based
Refugees are like Romans
Slavers are all around, almost like the Northerners though
Tribe are an aboriginal people who like forest

If you find any bugs post here. Any feedback, concerns comments?
My_Own_Minion: get rid of the scientist, i can take the blind guy

Talkative: You're like the Wizard of Oz, but evil.

Add-ons in 1.8: Golbeeze's Maps, Golbeeze's RPGs, Evolving Era
Contributor to and Maintainer of Mercenaries
PsychoticKittens

Re: Mercenaries Era

Post by PsychoticKittens »

PK Approves this message.
Creator of: Mercenaries Era; Modern Combat
Future Projects: Faunima: Land of Monsters
Temporarily Dropped Projects: Zombie Horde
IceAssassin

Post by IceAssassin »

Well I played with the holy order and it seems somewhat imbalanced. There is no healer which is a big setback. I will try to post everything I can about balancing and such. Also personally I think the paladin needs a new graphic, he doesn't look like a crusader at all.
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

The cleric is a healer. Do you have any other input on how you feel the Holy Order is imbalanced? I like playing with them... What seems imbalanced?

Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

Many units are oversized and several face a veryy strang direction-for example the Guard line of the Refugees turns to the other direction when fighting and the Agressor from the Holy Order only shoes us his backside.
I also suggest to add projectiles as they make it more easy to follow a ranged fight.
I feel quite uncomfortable with the Pope being the advancement of the Priest line although the description says there would be only one Pope at a time and that the new one is elected from the archbishops.
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
PsychoticKittens

Post by PsychoticKittens »

PK knows nothing about Religion. May it be known that The Holy Order is not a representation of Christianity. Just the Holy War ideal. So their religious leader type stuff is not the same as Christianity's would be.

And PK knows alot of his art was terrible. But I doubt I could ever re-draw or animate 500 units. I can barely draw the stuff for newer projects. I'm no artist. That aside, since I don't even have the .pbl for this anymore, I believe now is as good a time as any to say that Golbeeze can be the maintainer of Mercenaries if he so wishes, since he's more interested in this than I am :P

Edit: and most factions don't even have descriptions because I was too lazy to put what's in my head into text.
Last edited by PsychoticKittens on July 5th, 2010, 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of: Mercenaries Era; Modern Combat
Future Projects: Faunima: Land of Monsters
Temporarily Dropped Projects: Zombie Horde
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

@Drakefriend: As PK has stated, the art for mercs will not change. Mercenaries has unique art which is much better than many eras can claim. I will look into fixing the units that face incorrect directions, but beyond that don't expect any visual changes.
Also, think of the unit descriptions, backgrounds, and such as information for campaigns instead of individual random maps. Sure, the pope says there should be only one. If a campaign or scenario was created with mercs that would be a good time to read these descriptions and put them into action. However even with default factions, descriptions of units play little to no role.

@PK: I would be happy to take over as maintainer of Mercenaries! :D I still claim this as my favorite era.

tommy2teeth

Post by tommy2teeth »

Sorry for bringing this topic back but I made some new base and attack images and some slight tweaks to their cfg files for the Emperor's Guards. I tried to make the images more Wesnoth-like in style. I am not very good with sprites (I'm brand new to pixel art, so I am sure there are countless errors) but I think in some cases there are improvements (judge for yourselves).

Many of the base images (like Samurai for instance) came from another creator but I am not sure of his/her name to give them credit. Also I hope PK does not mind that I am attempting to update some images.

I plan on adding to many of the other ME era factions; specifically: Blight, Cult, Highlanders, Holy Order, Infernai, Tribalists, and possibly the Hive (although I don't think I can improve at all on the images due to my poor sprite work). I believe somebody is working on an Avian style team so I will leave them be for now.

All the other teams not mentioned I will not work on due to I think there are already teams in the Ageless Era that look-like or share a similar theme as them ie. Refugees = Lavinian Legion or Calydonians.

Feel free to slide these files into their respected place in your Ageless Era add-on (if you prefer them).

I would also like to encourage other artists to work on the Mercenary Era, its uniqueness is awesome and could use more talented artists then myself.
Attachments
Emperor_ME.zip
Emperor:images and cfg.
(626.53 KiB) Downloaded 449 times