Campaign dialog log

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
uzytkownik

Re: Campaign dialog log

Post by uzytkownik »

Hulavuta wrote:But anyone could just write it down anyway...
I guess it is different between active cheating (I have to do some action - like find piece of paper/open notepad, edit file) and passive cheating (press button view previos conversation). Possibly it could be 'fixed' by conditionally switching off for one piece of dialog.
boru

Post by boru »

uzytkownik wrote:
Hulavuta wrote:But anyone could just write it down anyway...
I guess it is different between active cheating (I have to do some action - like find piece of paper/open notepad, edit file) and passive cheating (press button view previos conversation). Possibly it could be 'fixed' by conditionally switching off for one piece of dialog.
How could pressing a button to view a previous conversation possibly be cheating?
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
markm

Post by markm »

If you're using Wesnoth as a program for doing Computer-Aided-Instruction... To teach people things, even if merely things such as the history of a fictional world... Then maybe using notes instead of actually learning might be construed as cheating...

-MarkM-
Developing Between the Worlds campaign portmanteau.
Have you eaten today?
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

markm wrote:If you're using Wesnoth as a program for doing Computer-Aided-Instruction... To teach people things, even if merely things such as the history of a fictional world... Then maybe using notes instead of actually learning might be construed as cheating...

-MarkM-
While this and the Two Brothers point are valid, I would consider them niche cases. In the vast majority of Wesnoth cases, being able to scroll back through chat text is a valuable feature; I think we should include it.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
markm

Post by markm »

Oh yeah. As a player, of course I want it! It's some of my characters, as an author, that are big on BfW's usefulness as a Social Engineering tool... ;)

-MarkM- (A bad worker blames _______ ; a bad teacher blames what? ;))
Developing Between the Worlds campaign portmanteau.
Have you eaten today?
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Sangel wrote:While this and the Two Brothers point are valid, I would consider them niche cases. In the vast majority of Wesnoth cases, being able to scroll back through chat text is a valuable feature; I think we should include it.
Exactly.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
ImaginaryFriend

+1 for the idea of a Campaign dialog log

Post by ImaginaryFriend »

For the most part I just want to go on record as supporting this idea, but I also have some ramblings to add to the discussion.

First, is this something that could be implemented on a campaign-by-campaign basis, or as an add-on if the the primary devs determine that it should not go into core? Although I'm barely beginning to learn WML, it seems to me from the way core operates and from looking at other people's code that it shouldn't be too difficult for someone who actually has experience with that sort of thing.

In addition to considerations previously stated by others, it'd be cool (and this also falls under features, I guess) to be able to look back and see not just the text that appeared on the screen, but the points at which you had multiple choices--Like the scouting, interrogations, and Q&A bits in ANO. Perhaps something like, "Given the choices a, b, and c, you chose option b, 'Kill them all and let the gods sort them out.'" Could enhance replayability, as you'd be aware of where you branched and might play again to see what happens if you make different choices. It wouldn't tell you what the other choices would have led to; just that they were there.

There might even some cute/fun ways to implement the controls. Maybe a button or menu item that says, "check your journal," or "read your adventure log." Maybe, looking through the log, you could even have the option to mark certain things as important, so that when looking back later you could choose to only review info you'd marked as being important.

Anyway... If no one else does this, I may try try to implement it myself on at least a single-campaign basis once I learn a little more--Unless a more experienced hand explains that it won't work, in which case I'd be grateful to be kept from chasing my own tail.

And, uh... That's all I've got for now, guys. If I said anything stupid, please don't eat me. Just tell me to go sit in a corner with my dunce cap and make me bring cookies for the class.
;-)
-Rob
Warning: This is an experimental life. If it ever reaches beta, run and hide.
http://www.robhamm.com
Inarix

Post by Inarix »

What about a half-a-second-click-away-blocker when a dialogue apears?
In addition with a skip dialogue button -which would be great anyway- there shouldn't be any con-argument. Right?

Greez
Inarixxxzzzsss
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Inarix wrote:What about a half-a-second-click-away-blocker when a dialogue apears?
\
CABD in [message].
Inarix wrote:In addition with a skip dialogue button -which would be great anyway- there shouldn't be any con-argument. Right?
Press the escape key to skip directly to the fighting and ignore any dialog.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:
Inarix wrote:What about a half-a-second-click-away-blocker when a dialogue apears?
\
CABD in [message].
Doesn't matter, since no one will do it that way nor should they have to. It's still a good idea and the last time I checked it could go in if someone actually codes it.
Inarix

Post by Inarix »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:Press the escape key to skip directly to the fighting and ignore any dialog.
*banging my head against the wall*
Yeah... :oops: of course I knew this before... :wink: I was just testing you... Really. :lol2:
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

I want this feature of being able to see previous dialog. I miss the dialog the majority of the time when it occurs in the middle of the game, and occasionally the dialog is important. I play on a tablet pc, and maybe tap-tapping is faster than click-clicking, so maybe the problem is worse for me than for the majority, but now you've got iPad users too. I simply want to be able to press "<" and have it show the previous screen of dialog, with repeated presses going further back. I usually have a bluetooth keyboard handy, or I can bring up the onscreen keyboard, or I can bind "<" to a tablet button. Maybe an iPad owner could speak up about how to implement it for them. Horizontal flick?