Era of High Sorcery

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: Era of High Sorcery

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

EoHS 0.3.12 released.

- You can now choose, in the picks-selection screen, to take random picks. This option usually picks a reasonable selection, and might make sense as a recommendation for beginners.
- Fire Ball and Corridor of Frost now have damage adjusted based on the victim's resistance to the type. Fire Ball has had its based damage decreased to compensate for its increased effectiveness against skeletons and woses.
- Liches' experience needed to advance to Ancient Liches has been made to equal that of Arch Mages advancing to Great Mages. (It had been the standard 100 before, and made it way too easy to reach Ancient Lich status.)
- Mud Touch works on undead again. (Although it still doesn't work on mechanical units.)
- Poison Ground now has a cosmetic effect on forest hexes (it makes them into the winter-deciduous version to make them look withered; this has no gameplay effect, but I had been annoyed by the forest appearing perfectly healthy on a hex that poisons all units)
- Various annoying bugs fixed. (Summon two Wolves once again can't summon any off-map or in cavewall; The "+2 picks" text now appears above the correct leader; The "wizard" ability description no longer breaks when you level up or gain more picks; etc.)

Ironically, I did much less work on this release than on most of the recent releases, even though it might seem to have more changes.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Elvish_Pillager

EoHS 0.4.0 released!

There aren't many major changes from the user end, but it gets a major version number increment because a lot has changed under the hood.

The most important difference is that the "Cast a spell" screen now displays every spell you know, not just the ones you can cast. If you try to cast one of the ones that can't be cast at the target, then it gives you detailed information as to why you can't.

Other updates:
- The "View your picks" menu item has been removed, now that players have had the chance to get used to the new way of viewing picks.
- When ice created by Blizzard turns back into deep water, units standing on the ice will now drown if they can't move in deep water.
- There's now a much more versatile system for having scenarios restrict certain uses of spells. I now use this in my High Seas engine.
- Various bugs fixed, as usual - Wizard swords and regen on reanimated units can no longer last forever, blizzarded hexes no longer sometimes stay around forever... Random picking can no longer give you impossible and/or really bad selections...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Elvish_Pillager

EoHS 0.4.1 released.

- Nature L10 now allows summoning Yeti for 120g.
- Dwarvish Alliance now allows you to recruit Dwarvish Runners.
- There's now a "Hide disallowed spells" option in the spellcasting screen, so that you can opt not to scroll through large numbers of spells you can't cast.
- The skill system has been updated in the same way as the spell system, and the messages for disallowed picks are more detailed.
- Disallowed picks are now shown by default instead of hidden by default, to match the new spell system.
- You can now view the picks screen even when you have no picks left.
- Some enchantments now give dummy abilities to the units that have them, so that you can see what the enchantments do when you look in the right side bar.
Elvish_Pillager

EoHS 0.4.2 released.

- The way the strings were handled has been cleaned up somewhat. This allows me to display the spell realm and level of spells on the spell list screen.
- Nature-6 now allows summoning Water Serpents. Gryphons have been bumped up to level 8.
- Balance change: Poison Ground now has a somewhat higher chance of affecting each hex. The spell hadn't been as overpowered as it was supposed to be, with the poisoned areas usually easy to step around.
- General cleanup of magic_system.cfg. There was a bug where wizards who had never trained skills could level up into Silver Mages. There was the entirely unneeded behavior of waiting until each player's turn to grant them their initial picks.
- Fixed a bug where poisoned units hit with Reanimating Touch would become poisoned undead.
Elvish_Pillager

EoHS v0.4.3 released (...already).

- The mouseover description of the "Red Mage" unit type now displays many of the EoHS rules. The "wizard" ability also contains more rules description now. (Unfortunately, both of those can be cut off by the bottom of the screen if your Wesnoth window isn't large enough.)
- The Sea Serpent unit has been added as a level 9 summon for Evokers, for 44 gold.
- The L10 summons are now L11 summons. Because a first-turn super-summon can no longer unbalance the game, their prices have been reduced to something more fair.
- Wolf Riders, Goblin Spearmen, and Troll Whelps have been removed from the "Orcish Mercenaries" recruits, to better suit its role as a 1-pick alliance with no prerequisites.
- Aberrant Growth's price has been reduced from 21 to 16, to keep it competitive with summons, now that they are are loyal and XP-sharing.
- The three touch attack enchantments now add dummy attack specials to your leader's melee attacks.
- Multiple major bugs with Dark Pact have been fixed. It should work properly now. It no longer attempts to restore hitpoints after the unit is hit fatally.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

paralyzed units fight back, for half of the damage.
Elvish_Pillager

That's true.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

those $holes :mrgreen:
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

poison on village does never disappear, poisoning my dwarf that took the vilalge the turn later for the second time in a row.
Valenwood

Post by Valenwood »

Hi, EP :)
Been a long time since I've been doing anything at all in the forums, but here I am! Good to see you're working on this mod and keeping us up to date with your updates :)

Anyways, I was thinking.. since you are adding new versions kind of rapidly at the moment, perhaps you could add a string in game, showing which version one is running. Maybe havint it show up in the right-click menu? Not a very fancy suggestion, but it might be nice to have :)

I'll be back with (more) comments, suggestions, bug reports and what-not, when or if I run into or think of any.

Best wishes,
Valie
Elvish_Pillager

Rigor: Nasty, innit? :)

Valenwood: It's actually in the right sidebar since 0.4.3. It's just that you can't yet tell which version an older version is, because I can't retroactively add it to THEM :wink:
Valenwood

Post by Valenwood »

Of course you can't retro-add them. I had not tried 0.4.3.1 yet, so I had not seen that at the right sidebar yet :) It just came into my mind. Oh well.
Elvish_Pillager

EoHS v0.4.4 released.

- New Nature-6 spell: Tailwind. Grants a unit +2 moves this turn and +2 moves next turn. Is cumulative with itself. Counts as an enchantment.
- You can no longer take Superb Summoner or Enchanter when they're useless for you.
- Aberrant Growth has been changed. The target unit now levels up into an Ogre and then has its percent-of-max HP and moves reset. This cleans up a lot of the problems with the spell.
- Giant Mudcrawlers no longer have upkeep.
- Grow Trees now works on swamp, desert, and sand.
- Meteor Storm now costs 150 gold.
Araja

Post by Araja »

Okay it just has to be said: The era is incredible! So many spells with so many effects...It feels like a fountain of potential, especially with the recent RPG era. My only regret is that I can't seem to find a use for it beyond teasing the AI in a local game. I should try a debug map and see what happens...

Oh, and I have a question: when used on the new terrains, would Grow Trees create a tropical forest?
Elvish_Pillager

Araja wrote:Okay it just has to be said: The era is incredible! So many spells with so many effects...It feels like a fountain of potential, especially with the recent RPG era. My only regret is that I can't seem to find a use for it beyond teasing the AI in a local game. I should try a debug map and see what happens...
The RPG era is generally intended for use with MP RPG scenarios (i.e. your leaders vs. the AI) and MP survival scenarios (i.e. the players, with normal forces, vs. the AI).
Araja wrote:Oh, and I have a question: when used on the new terrains, would Grow Trees create a tropical forest?
Grow Trees currently always creates evergreen forests. I intend to make this more nuanced in the future.