Changes to campaign server

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

Changes to campaign server

Post by Dave »

I have made some changes to the campaign server.

Firstly, to make a campaign that is valid for uploading, you must now add a new file which has some information about your campaign. If your campaign is called 'MyCampaign', so the campaign config file is 'MyCampaign.cfg', this file should be called 'MyCampaign.pbl' and placed in the same directory as 'MyCampaign.cfg'.

This file is a simple WML file with name/value pairs and no elements. It may contain the following attributes:

author: the details of the author of the campaign. Might contain the author's email address
version: the version of the campaign
icon: an icon for the campaign. The icon must be available with the standard Wesnoth distribution.
passphrase: the passphrase to use when connecting to the server.

Campaigns are no longer uploaded from the command line. Rather, go to Campaign -> Get More Campaigns, choose a server, and any campaigns which are ready to upload (have a .pbl file, .cfg file, and directory) will be listed with an option to publish the campaign.

Choosing a passphrase is optional. If you don't specify a passphrase, a randomly generated passphrase will automatically be added to your pbl file the first time you upload. This means that you don't have to worry about passphrases at all unless you actually want to upload your campaign from a different computer/environment.

The campaign download dialog has been made more informative, giving information on the author, version number, and number of downloads a campaign has had.

The campaign server may not support these new features until miyo restarts it...

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
scott

Post by scott »

would this be an example of a valid .pbl?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Yes, that is a valid .pbl

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Dave, that 's a great idea, but I would add a couple of tags...

- description (so you know what the campaign is before downloading)
- number of scenarios
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

do the files have to contain spaces for them to be spaces on the download menu? i notice that when i look at the menu, it lists my campaign as "Saving Elensefar", but when asked if i want to publish my campaign it says it is "Saving_Elensefar".
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
jp30

suggested additions to .pbl information

Post by jp30 »

It would be helpful to have a mechanism for published campaigns to tell the campaign server which version(s) of wesnoth they are known to work with.

The simplest way to do this would be to have a line saying something like "wesnoth_version=0.8.5" in the .pbl file. This would be a recommended version and could be sent to the client with the rest of the .pbl information. Then clients could warn users if the recommended version was not an initial substring of the client's version; the client would also warn the user if the campaign did not specify a recommended version.

A more sophisticated approach would be to have "min_wesnoth_version=" and "max_wesnoth_version="; I suspect the payoff from that isn't worth it though, as it's hard to predict when writing a campaign just which past and future versions of wesnoth will work with it.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Bug: the version= key doesn't seem to update... i originally uploaded version 0.2.0, then later i uploaded version 0.2.1 (a new version...) and it still displays as 0.2.0. :(
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I've committed a change to the CVS which allows you to delete campaigns you made from the server. (There's a new option in the menu, 'Delete Campaign: blah').

This won't work on the official server until miyo updates it...
turin wrote:Bug: the version= key doesn't seem to update... i originally uploaded version 0.2.0, then later i uploaded version 0.2.1 (a new version...) and it still displays as 0.2.0. :(
It works fine for me...

David
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

turin wrote:Bug: the version= key doesn't seem to update... i originally uploaded version 0.2.0, then later i uploaded version 0.2.1 (a new version...) and it still displays as 0.2.0. :(
I had the same problem once, but it works now.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

MadMax wrote:
I had the same problem once, but it works now.
did you figure out what the problem was?
The World of Orbivm
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

turin wrote:
MadMax wrote:I had the same problem once, but it works now.
did you figure out what the problem was?
No. I just thought it was something loopy about Sithrandel's binary.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom