How to overwhelm 3p-Survival

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

OOXX

How to overwhelm 3p-Survival

Post by OOXX »

I am noob for BFW.I have played 3p-Survival for about 100 times.I still can not overwhelm this map with elf.Can someone give me some advice so that I defeat AI?
Telaron

Re: How to overwhelm 3p-Survival

Post by Telaron »

OOXX wrote:Can someone give me some advice so that I defeat AI?
Sure. Learn the terrain's defense bonus. :wink: Some will be blatantly obvious, like a castle hex will have more defense than a grass hex. Also, it depends on the unit type. I know that dwarves have a lot higher defense on road and cave terrain. (By 'road terrain' I mean the stone type.) This is one big factor in winning a Wesnoth battle. If you look in the unit's cfg file, it should have what type of defense they are good at and where they defend well. Also, most Wesnoth have some type of Pierce, Melee, Cold etc attack. For instance, you may have noticed that Fire Wizards do well against undead. That's because undead are particularly vulnerable to Flame attacks.
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...
revenant

Post by revenant »

I find another important factor in how your scenario goes is gold and income management. Some people are overconfident or daredevils and go into a steep debt with buying too many units for the first couple of turns but I prefer to keep my income from going below 0. This way you can build a back up army and when the time is right you can unleash it upon the enemy overwhelming them. Granted, getting a lot of units at first can overwhelm your enemies but if is doesn't then your in trouble.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Telaron wrote: If you look in the unit's cfg file, it should have what type of defense they are good at and where they defend well.
You don't have to look at the config file (which usually only mentions the movetype, which is defined somewhere else), the ingame help ("d" while mousing over the unit) or the wesnoth unit list does it, too.

And after selecting some unit, you can mouse over any terrain and get the defense value there for this unit.
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

pauxlo wrote:You don't have to look at the config file (which usually only mentions the movetype, which is defined somewhere else), the ingame help ("d" while mousing over the unit) or the wesnoth unit list does it, too.
Yeah, I forgot about that useful tool. Though, I don't use it that often to be honest.
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...
Truper

Post by Truper »

The most important thing is to learn exactly what enemies spawn, and where they spawn, and to have a plan for dealing with each spawn as it occurs. Sometimes you will want to retreat, so that few enemies will have a chance to attack you as soon as they spawn. You will need to know this ahead of time, so that you do not pursue enemies for so long that you can't retreat.

In general, beating any survival is a matter of manipulating the ai. You need to make it attack what you want it to attack. You also need to use all the strengths of your faction. I'll give a couple of examples.

I found that the best leader to choose for the Rebels is a Ranger. The extra movement point and the Ambush ability can be very useful.

On the fist turn, recruit one wose. The ai likes to attack woses, and you can use this to your advantage. You must be careful with this unit, since some spawns can kill it easily, and it is slow. On the other hand, some spawns that cannot kill it will like to attack it anyway, and so you can use it to lure the enemies where you want them.

Recruit one shaman in the first turn or two. The ability to slow enemies is very useful. The extra healing is a nice bonus :)

Try and develop at least one mage. For spawns like the undead, a mage is invaluable.

Good luck!
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus."

Sure. But in that case, they had damned well better be called Venusians, and not Elves, Undead, or anything else.
OOXX

Post by OOXX »

Haha,I use Elven Ranger as leader.I hide it in the forest in the first turn.Finally I survived 39 turns.Needless to say,it's a better way to survive than fighting.