3P Campaign: The Haunted Woods v1.7.0 [Complete]

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

revenant

Re: (1.6, 1.8) 3P Campaign: The Haunted Woods v1.6.7 [Complete]

Post by revenant »

I think I remember that one, only I think that there are certain hexes which you have to move to in the caves. Not a good thing, I had to figure it out the hard way. (One leader almost dead.)
MrEPIC

Post by MrEPIC »

Groznij wrote:I have been playing a 2p game with a friend. We left the dwarves out of the game and only controlled one faction each. Awesome stuff, I like it alot, good job!

I know 2p games are largely untested and perhaps you want to leave it like that, but for what it's worth we eventually ran into a game-breaking bug. The problem is in the scenario "Escape to the caves" where you have to run your leaders into "the caves" while being besieged by 6 undead bitches; it says you have to "get all your leaders into the caves" and we did, only I suppose the third leader was required as well and he was not in our run at all.

I'll attach a save and hope you get a chance to look it over!

Either way, thanks for the ride so far. :mrgreen:

ps. 1st post, woo.
Sorry about this issue, Groznij, but I'm glad that it doesn't seem to have reflected your opinion of the campaign. This problem should already be fixed.
Changelog wrote:v.1.6.6
+Escape to the caves scenario no longer is unbeatable for less than 3 players
The version in your save game was 1.6.5.
Please download the latest version on the add-ons server and reload from this save game. It is from the start of the next scenario and should work fine. Also, I fixed the illumination halo for green's leader.
Attachments
Groznij_Road_to_Knalga.gz
(44.62 KiB) Downloaded 543 times
3 player co-op campaign: The Haunted Woods (v1.6.19)
1v1 campaign: Tug of War (v0.4.0)
Groznij

Post by Groznij »

MrEPIC wrote: Sorry about this issue, Groznij, but I'm glad that it doesn't seem to have reflected your opinion of the campaign. This problem should already be fixed.
Changelog wrote:v.1.6.6
+Escape to the caves scenario no longer is unbeatable for less than 3 players
The version in your save game was 1.6.5.
Please download the latest version on the add-ons server and reload from this save game. It is from the start of the next scenario and should work fine. Also, I fixed the illumination halo for green's leader.
Big thanks for the fast response! All is fine and dandy now. I'm not sure what was wrong with the halo, showed up and worked fine as far as i could tell but thanks anyway! :D
ozean

Re: (1.6, 1.8) 3P Campaign: The Haunted Woods v1.6.8 [Complete]

Post by ozean »

Still enjoying the campaign tremendously – thanks for your work on this!

We just finished “River of the Undead”, where we thought it would be fun if you could add a few nice death lines to the enemy bosses. (Something like “Aaarggh.” or even more creative?) ;)

And something more important: in several scenarios it says that there will be an early finish bonus and/or gold carry over- but the starting gold is always the same for everyone. It would be great if this could be fixed (either way).
MrEPIC

Re: (1.6, 1.8) 3P Campaign: The Haunted Woods v1.6.9 [Complete]

Post by MrEPIC »

Hi ozean, I'm glad to hear the compliments.
Everybody will start the next scenario with the same amount of gold if they ended the previous one with less than the minimum starting gold of the next scenario. For example, the starting gold of the 'Escape to the Caves' scenario is 200 gold. If you ended 'River of Undead' with less than 200 gold, then all players will start with 200 gold (modified according to difficulty). If this is not happening (for example if you ended River of Undead with more than 200 gold but everyone still has the same gold to start with), please post save files so I can further look into this.
ozean

Re: (1.6, 1.8) 3P Campaign: The Haunted Woods v1.6.9 [Complete]

Post by ozean »

Hah, well, you’re right – that is the way the starting gold is always calculated. Seems I kind of forgot that because in all the single player campaigns that I have played I always end up having more than the minimum gold :oops:

*goes off to try to very quickly run into the caves, fleeing the undead hordes from all around*
celest

Recall problem

Post by celest »

I hope this is the right place to ask for help.. I really do like this campaign but after finishing scenario two all players have lost their experience and bought extras and it's not possible to recall your fighters.
(we do play it as a local multiplayer game)

Are there any suggestions what I'm doing wrong or what to do to recall? It's not that funny if you can't take all your stuff to the next scenario ...

Thanks a lot!
MrEPIC

Re: Recall problem

Post by MrEPIC »

celest wrote:I hope this is the right place to ask for help.. I really do like this campaign but after finishing scenario two all players have lost their experience and bought extras and it's not possible to recall your fighters.
(we do play it as a local multiplayer game)

Are there any suggestions what I'm doing wrong or what to do to recall? It's not that funny if you can't take all your stuff to the next scenario ...

Thanks a lot!
Ah, you're playing it as a local game. These problems sound like you are loading your save game directly from the main menu of Wesnoth. Something about doing this messes up recall lists. Instead, you should reload from within the multiplayer game creation screen by selecting the 'load game...' option at the top of the game list. Use this to load a save from some point in the second scenario, then finish it again. You should advance to the third with all recall lists and upgrades. Hopefully that helps. But if it doesn't, please post a save here and I'll try to fix it for you.
celest

Re: (1.6, 1.8) 3P Campaign: The Haunted Woods v1.6.10 [Complete]

Post by celest »

Thanks for the help. I tried it today and it's working fine now :)
I had'nt noticed the load option in the multiplayer section before ...

Great game!
gurkesaft

Post by gurkesaft »

Playing through it with three local players, using the latest version as of 5/8/2010 from the in-game addons. This is totally sweet!

Things I noticed so far:

Intro board typo: "Have you every played this campaign" (every=ever)

First scenario bug: We chose P1=Loyalists/Shock Trooper, P2=Rebels/Red Mage, P3=Dwarves/Steelclad. In the first scenario, P1 can only recruit elves, P2 can recruit Dwarves, P3 can recruit Humans. They're shuffled about :). This continues at least into the second scenario.

Second scenario: Fog of war returns. We prefer playing without it, but this only lasts for one scenario. This is true for the world domination campaign too and may be a limitation of the game itself?

Thanks for all your work! We're loving it so far :)

-Jack
gurkesaft

Post by gurkesaft »

Also in scenario 2 we all only started with 134, 152, and 137 gold, when in scenario 1 told us we'd start with more like 400 each. I like a challenge though :)
gurkesaft

Post by gurkesaft »

Uh oh. A biggie: no troops to recall!
ozean

Post by ozean »

gurkesaft wrote:Uh oh. A biggie: no troops to recall!
MrEPIC wrote:Ah, you're playing it as a local game. These problems sound like you are loading your save game directly from the main menu of Wesnoth. Something about doing this messes up recall lists. Instead, you should reload from within the multiplayer game creation screen by selecting the 'load game...' option at the top of the game list. Use this to load a save from some point in the second scenario, then finish it again. You should advance to the third with all recall lists and upgrades. Hopefully that helps. But if it doesn't, please post a save here and I'll try to fix it for you.
;)
MrEPIC

Post by MrEPIC »

gurkesaft wrote:Playing through it with three local players, using the latest version as of 5/8/2010 from the in-game addons. This is totally sweet!
Thanks!
gurkesaft wrote:Intro board typo: "Have you every played this campaign" (every=ever)
Ah, good catch. I'll release a fix soon.
gurkesaft wrote:First scenario bug: We chose P1=Loyalists/Shock Trooper, P2=Rebels/Red Mage, P3=Dwarves/Steelclad. In the first scenario, P1 can only recruit elves, P2 can recruit Dwarves, P3 can recruit Humans. They're shuffled about :). This continues at least into the second scenario.
If you "use map settings" with default era when you host this, you should not be able to choose your leaders. In any case, player 1 should be an elvish ranger, player 2 a dwarvish stalwart, and player 3 a lieutenant.
gurkesaft wrote:Second scenario: Fog of war returns. We prefer playing without it, but this only lasts for one scenario. This is true for the world domination campaign too and may be a limitation of the game itself?
You're exploring a dark and mysterious forest! Of course you don't know what's going on until you see it. :P
gurkesaft wrote:Also in scenario 2 we all only started with 134, 152, and 137 gold, when in scenario 1 told us we'd start with more like 400 each. I like a challenge though :)
Hmm, the gold carryover has always worked fine for me. Could you attach a save file so I could see why this is happening?
gurkesaft wrote:Uh oh. A biggie: no troops to recall!
Yep, just read ozean's response.
MrEPIC

Re: (1.6, 1.8) 3P Campaign: The Haunted Woods v1.6.16 [Complete]

Post by MrEPIC »

Solved
Well, it's been a while since I last posted here, but progress on this campaign has not ceased. Now I arrive with a new question about lua.
Although I have never tried coding anything in lua, and in my knowledge in this area is next to none, I decided to try to make a simple script that would iterate over the sides in a game and return the total count and each team name. Here's what I have:

Code: Select all

function side_info()
	local s = 0
	local team_names = {}
	for t in H.all_teams() do
		s = s + 1
		table.insert(team_names,s,t.team_name)
	end
--	wesnoth.message("LUA_team_names",table.concat((team_names),", "))
	return s,team_names
end
local total_sides,team_names = side_info()

wesnoth.set_variable("thw_total_sides",total_sides)
wesnoth.set_variable("thw_total_sides_temp",total_sides)
H.set_variable_array("lua_side_info",team_names)
The total number of sides (s) is correctly returned and the commented wesnoth.message correctly prints out all of the team names to the chat area. However, when I use :inspect to check "lua_side_info," it shows a number of empty [lua_side_info] containers(is that the right term?). This leads me to believe that I did not correctly use helper.set_variable_array or should have done something else. Does anybody know how I could use the team_names table in WML?

EDIT: Another question: Are seperate lua files (for example wesnoth.dofile(file.lua)) transmitted over multiplayer?