Campaign dialog log

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Molean

Campaign dialog log

Post by Molean »

Sometimes you accidentally click past dialog that is triggered by moving your units to locations (I often do it) As far as I know, the only way to see what you missed is to reload the turn and try to be more careful.

It would be nice if there was a log of campaign dialog you could go into and just see what has been said. Not only for accidentally clicking past missed dialog, but if you have forgotten what has been said awhile back too.

Perhaps the log could also include the text before the map begins? Perhaps the log could show previous maps too?(Only maps strung together into a campaign) Perhaps the log could be part of the save, so that if you revert to a previous save, the log wouldn't potentially become a mess?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Campaign dialog log

Post by thespaceinvader »

If you're concerned, it's easy enough to look in the Wiki, or open the scenario CFG and see it all for yourself. A feature like this seems unnecessary to me.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I've in the past suggested that the first message of any event should by default be impossible to dismiss during the first half a second or less, but it didn't really catch on.

Incidentally, just today I accidentally dismissed several messages myself, when they popped up unexpectedly when I moved a unit somewhere. It's highly annoying and I think that something would definitely need to be done about it.
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

I think this idea would be quite useful.

I've often skipped through the start of scenario messages and wished I could re-read them.

The only question would be how to implement such a tool. It could indeed be similar to the chat log, sort of a "Story Log".

Anyone have a crafty way to implement this?
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

I'm for this. :mrgreen:
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

jb wrote:I think this idea would be quite useful.

I've often skipped through the start of scenario messages and wished I could re-read them.

The only question would be how to implement such a tool. It could indeed be similar to the chat log, sort of a "Story Log".
I agree, this would be very useful. It's easy to accidentally dismiss an unexpected dialog that pops up in the middle of a scenario. And i've missed important bits of information in the pre-scenario dialogs on occasion.

Doing it like the chat log sounds about right: a scrollable window that displays all the dialog or narration starting with the pre-scenario intro. I don't think there would be benefit it displaying previous scenarios information in most cases.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Molean

Post by Molean »

@thespaceinvader
Well that would be more hassle, plus you will see some dialog too early.

@Eleazar
Regarding the log showing dialog from previous maps in the same campaign:
(I am not sure if that is what you are talking about there or not)

In a well written campaign story, all these little details are important to the whole story. But after hours of fighting, its easy to forget some of the story.

Maybe some kind of pull down menu or length of buttons to click on that allow you to choose the logs of different maps that came before the current one in that scenario?
uzytkownik

Post by uzytkownik »

1. The problem with looking into wml file is that it contains spoilers (sometimes the dialog file is separated so it is made worst)
2. I think whole log would break remembering password in two brothers campaign
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

But anyone could just write it down anyway...
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

FYI: "Dialog" refers to an informational window in an application. "Dialogue" is actually a conversation.
(This may be confusing for people where English isn't their primary language.)

May I suggest combining this "View Dialogue" with the "View Chat" dialog? Perhaps a tab or button could alternate between chat and dialogue.

Bonus points if it defaults to Chat for multiplayer and Dialogue for single-player.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

ancestral wrote:FYI: "Dialog" refers to an informational window in an application. "Dialogue" is actually a conversation.
Hm, I didn't know that. I thought they were just two alternate spellings that could be used for either definition. Thanks for pointing that out. :D
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

ancestral wrote:May I suggest combining this "View Dialogue" with the "View Chat" dialog? Perhaps a tab or button could alternate between chat and dialogue.
Is there really a for a button to switch?

In SP there would be no player chat. In MP there may or may not be story dialogue, but i don't see a problem with putting it together. Under some circumstances it might be more convenient to have a single log.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
boru

Post by boru »

I think this would be an excellent way to keep track of the storyline. Sometimes it will take me weeks to finish a game and it would be great to be able to go back and review the story.

A related idea: how about a Skip Dialogue button? Like the Skip button for story text. I think it would enhance replayability. Also, from the point-of-view of a UMC developer, I could develop longer dialogue sequences knowing the player could simply hit the Skip Dialogue button if they want to get right to the battle.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

boru wrote:A related idea: how about a Skip Dialogue button? Like the Skip button for story text. I think it would enhance replayability. Also, from the point-of-view of a UMC developer, I could develop longer dialogue sequences knowing the player could simply hit the Skip Dialogue button if they want to get right to the battle.
It may not be obvious enough, but you can just hit the escape key to go straight to the action.

This works for the pre scenario stuff too.
Attempting Lucidity
boru

Post by boru »

Eleazar wrote:
boru wrote:A related idea: how about a Skip Dialogue button? Like the Skip button for story text. I think it would enhance replayability. Also, from the point-of-view of a UMC developer, I could develop longer dialogue sequences knowing the player could simply hit the Skip Dialogue button if they want to get right to the battle.
It may not be obvious enough, but you can just hit the escape key to go straight to the action.

This works for the pre scenario stuff too.
Thanks for the info. I'll pass that on if anyone complains that my characters talk too much.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.