TO: authors of MP scenarios in the 1.8 package

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

norbert

TO: authors of MP scenarios in the 1.8 package

Post by norbert »

Hi all,

I'm trying to find out who are the authors of the MP scenarios that come with the 1.8 package. Below is an overview of what I've been able to find. If your name is mentioned below or if you've created one of the MP scenarios in the 1.8 package and your name is not being mentioned, please comment on this list. I will update the list when I receive information. Please also tell me if the 'old names' of scenarios that I've mentioned are correct, and if other scenarios were ever renamed. I will point Doc Paterson, Becephalus, olof and Bob_The_Mighty to this thread via private message. Thanks in advance.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Probably correct:
2p - Caves of the Basilisk (born from: Divide and Conquer): pg, Doc Paterson
2p - Cynsaun Battlefield: Doc Paterson
2p - Dark Forecast (Survival): jb, Rhuvaen
2p - Den of Onis: Doc Paterson
2p - Fallenstar Lake (old name: Meteor Lake): Doc Paterson
2p - Hamlets: Doc Paterson
2p - Hornshark Island (old name: Hornshark Isle): Doc Paterson
2p - Howling Ghost Badlands: Doc Paterson
2p - Sablestone Delta: Doc Paterson
2p - Silverhead Crossing: Doc Paterson
2p - Sulla's Ruins: Doc Paterson
2p - The Freelands (born from: Charge): pg, Doc Paterson
2p - Weldyn Channel (born from: Blitz): pg, Doc Paterson
3p - Morituri: Olof, Doc Paterson
4p - A New Land: Bob_The_Mighty
4p - Blue Water Province: Doc Paterson
4p - Clash: pg, Doc Paterson, jb
4p - Hamlets: Doc Paterson
4p - Isar's Cross: Becephalus, Doc Paterson
4p - Lagoon: Turin, Doc Paterson, Becephalus
4p - Loris River: Becephalus
4p - Morituri: Olof, Doc Paterson
4p - Paths of Daggers: Becephalus
4p - Ruins of Terra-Dwelve: Velensk
4p - Underworld: F8_Binds
4p - Xanthe Chaos: Becephalus, Doc Paterson
5p - Auction-X: Becephalus
5p - Forest of Fear: Neoriceisgood, Becephalus, Doc Paterson
5p - The Wilderlands: Doc Paterson
6p - Team Survival: Jonas Lihnell
6p - The Manzivan Traps: Becephalus, jb, Doc Paterson
6p - Waterloo Sunset: Becephalus
8p - Mokena Prairie: jb
8p - Morituri: Olof, Doc Paterson
9p - Merkwuerdigliebe: Becephalus, Doc Paterson
Still need information:
3p - Alirok Marsh (born from: Triple Blitz): Olof or pg?, Doc Paterson
3p - Island of the Horatii (born from: Triple Blitz): Olof?, Doc Paterson, Becephalus
4p - Castle Hopping Isle: pg?, Olof?, Doc Paterson, Becephalus?
4p - King of the Hill: telex4, Becephalus?, Crimson?
4p - Siege Castles: cobretti?, Becephalus?
6p - Crusaders' Field: Dragonking, ?
6p - Hexcake: jon?, Becephalus?
Random map: Sirp?
Random map (Desert): gakusho? sanna?
Random map (Marsh): gakusho? sanna?
Random map (Winter): gakusho? sanna?
Wesnoth Benchmark AI: ?
Wesnoth Benchmark Scrolling: ?
Wesnoth Benchmark Walking through Shroud: ?

Edits:
- removed color tag from post (Caphriel: "Also, you might want to remove the color tags from your post; colored text is reserved for staff.")
- added information from Doc Paterson ("Okay, here you go: [...]")
- processed information from telex4 and Neoriceisgood ("Neoriceisgood (Guido Bos) and telex4 (Tom Chance) just got back to me via e-mail. [...]")
- added information from Dragonking ("Yes, oryginal version was definiately made by me [...] I also can confirm Olof as the creator of the morituri.") & confirmed Jonas Lihnell as the author of Team Survival.
Last edited by norbert on April 7th, 2010, 8:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Caphriel

Re: TO: authors of MP scenarios in the 1.8 package

Post by Caphriel »

I'm kinda curious, why do you want to know?

Also, you might want to remove the color tags from your post; colored text is reserved for staff.
norbert

Post by norbert »

Caphriel wrote:I'm kinda curious, why do you want to know?
Because I, too, am curious. :)

Also, if the overview ever becomes accurate enough, the information might be usable for a file in wesnoth/data/multiplayer or /doc/wesnoth/, or could be added to the scrolling Credits. The addons page already lists the authors of addons, also in-game.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Okay, here you go:

2p - Caves of the Basilisk: Me, though ancient versions were born from/influenced by an even older map called Divide and Conquer by pg.

2p - Cynsaun Battlefield: Me, named it after my wife. ;)

2p - Dark Forecast (Survival): jb, Rhuvaen

2p - Den of Onis: Me.

2p - Fallenstar Lake (old name: Meteor Lake): Me

2p - Hamlets: Me

2p - Hornshark Island (old name: Hornshark Isle): Me

2p - Howling Ghost Badlands: Me

2p - Sablestone Delta: Me

2p - Silverhead Crossing: Me

2p - Sulla's Ruins: Me

2p - The Freelands: Long ago, there was an ancient map known as Charge (made by pg). http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/ ... Charge.jpg
:eng: It kept that name for the (guessing) 15 or so versions that I designed after that original pg version. I renamed it the Freelands, the name that it's held for the maybe 10 or so most recent versions.

2p - Weldyn Channel (old name: Blitz): Same story as above.

3p - Alirok Marsh (old name: Triple Blitz?): Very similar story as above, though I'm not certain as to the original designer of Triple Blitz. I have a feeling that it was Olof working with a pg concept.

3p - Island of the Horatii: I can't remember who made the original, ancient version, but it was an alternate take on Triple Blitz. Perhaps Olof again. I did a version that followed that though, and Becephalus eventually redid that one. A year or so ago, I redid it again. So this one was very much a group project.

3p - Morituri: Pretty sure it was Olof, but his original was very different from the current one, which I did, fairly long ago.

4p - A New Land: Bob_The_Mighty

4p - Blue Water Province: Me

4p - Castle Hopping Isle: Many people, including (I think) pg, Olof, me, and Becephalus.

4p - Clash: pg, me, and most recently, jb.

4p - Hamlets: Me

4p - Isar's Cross: Becephalus did the originals, and I did the most recent, largest one.

4p - King of the Hill: (telex4, Becephalus, Crimson?) I think so, but I'm not positive.

4p - Lagoon: Turin did the original, I did an intermediate version, Becephalus did a third version, and I think I did a more recent version.

4p - Loris River: Becephalus

4p - Morituri: Olof originally, but I've done the many versions that have come since then.

4p - Paths of Daggers: Becephalus

4p - Ruins of Terra-Dwelve: Velensk

4p - Siege Castles: cobretti? Not sure. Becephalus, I think, did the most recent one.

4p - Underworld: F8_Binds

4p - Xanthe Chaos: Becephalus did the core of this map. I've done some relatively more recent tweaks.

5p - Auction-X: Becephalus

5p - Forest of Fear: I think Neorice did the original? Becephalus did a middle version, and I've modified it several times more recently.

5p - The Wilderlands: Me

6p - Crusaders' Field: Not sure about the original. Dragonking had a hand in this I know.

6p - Hexcake: Can't remember. I think Becephalus did the most recent.

6p - Team Survival: Jonas Lihnell? Not sure offhand.

6p - The Manzivan Traps: Becephalus. jb and I have done some more recent mods.

6p - Waterloo Sunset: Becephalus. Inspired by an Elliott Smith cover of a Kinks song. :)

8p - Mokena Prairie: jb

8p - Morituri: Olof, and more recently, me.

9p - Merkwuerdigliebe: Becephalus. I've done some more recent mods.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

I find it extremely curious that we could lose or even forget who created what, especially in a project licensed under the GPL where credit is often made everywhere.

Any reason we don't have more meta tags in the map file format? For example, author, name, version, email? At the very least, any reason we don't have some comments at the beginning of the file with this information, should meta tags not be possible?
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

ancestral wrote:I find it extremely curious that we could lose or even forget who created what, especially in a project licensed under the GPL where credit is often made everywhere.
Somebody could dig it up; I just don't have time right now.
ancestral wrote: Any reason we don't have more meta tags in the map file format? For example, author, name, version, email? At the very least, any reason we don't have some comments at the beginning of the file with this information, should meta tags not be possible?
I'm in favor of author tags, and I strongly support showing the author below the map title that pops up before a player's first turn. Others opposed it, so it never went anywhere. We do have them for a few scenarios though, such as Dark Forcast and A New Land, which I think is good.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
without your noses.
norbert

Post by norbert »

Doc Paterson wrote:Okay, here you go:
Thanks, I've updated the overview. Hopefully olof and Becephalus will also add some comments, and then the list will probably be fairly accurate and complete already.
norbert

Post by norbert »

Neoriceisgood (Guido Bos) and telex4 (Tom Chance) just got back to me via e-mail. telex4 writes: "Hi there, I was the original creator of the King of the Hill MP scenario, which the others must have improved. I've not contributed to any others. Tom" Neoriceisgood writes: "Klopt, ik had de eerste versie gemaakt." (which translates to: Correct, I made the first version.) I will update the overview accordingly.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

Doc Paterson wrote: 6p - Crusaders' Field: Not sure about the original. Dragonking had a hand in this I know.

Yes, oryginal version was definiately made by me - tho now it is really hard to find resemblance. ;)

I also can confirm Olof as the creator of the morituri.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
norbert

Post by norbert »

Dragonking wrote:Yes, oryginal version was definiately made by me - tho now it is really hard to find resemblance. ;)

I also can confirm Olof as the creator of the morituri.
Thanks for the information, I've updated the list.

Also, 6p_Team_Survival.cfg turns out to contain "Frankly, I haven't got a clue as to how you did it, so send me the replay by mail to: roze@roze.mine.nu. Thank You!" and roze@roze.mine.nu is from Jonas Lihnell, so I confirmed him as well.
norbert

Post by norbert »

This 1.4 map pack addon...
http://files.wesnoth.org/addons/1.4/Isa ... er.tar.bz2
...contains a file...
Isars_Cross_Forever/scenarios/Triple.cfg; a scenario with the name "Triple Blitz". In 1.6 the description of that map pack was "All my MP maps", and its author appears to be Joshua. Could he be the original author? (Is he forum user joshudson?)
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

On the one hand, I'm thinking I probably shouldn't be listed as an author for Xanthe Chaos or Merkwuerdigliebe, maybe a few others of the Bec maps. On the other hand, I realize that we'd be opening a can of worms if we start to try to gauge whether someone's degree of influence over a map's current state is worth mention. I guess it also wouldn't hurt to let people know that I'm maintaining a few maps that I'm not necessarily the designer of, though I have modified them.

I'm fine with whatever you decide.
without your noses.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

norbert wrote:This 1.4 map pack addon...
http://files.wesnoth.org/addons/1.4/Isa ... er.tar.bz2
...contains a file...
Isars_Cross_Forever/scenarios/Triple.cfg; a scenario with the name "Triple Blitz". In 1.6 the description of that map pack was "All my MP maps", and its author appears to be Joshua. Could he be the original author? (Is he forum user joshudson?)
Well, I think the original goes back to 2004 (it's Ancient Era for sure), so 1.4 or 1.6 appearances may not be proof. They may just have been maps that he liked and wanted to save from the dust bin. :hmm:

I really do think Triple Blitz, from which Alirok Marsh was born, was Olof/pg.

As far as I know, Olof hasn't been around for years, so you may not be able to reach him.
without your noses.
norbert

Post by norbert »

Doc Paterson wrote:As far as I know, Olof hasn't been around for years, so you may not be able to reach him.
Hum... indeed.
Maybe someone knows how to contact Becephalus or Olof.
Their feedback is probably all that's still needed...
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Doc Paterson wrote:On the one hand, I'm thinking I probably shouldn't be listed as an author for Xanthe Chaos or Merkwuerdigliebe, maybe a few others of the Bec maps. On the other hand, I realize that we'd be opening a can of worms if we start to try to gauge whether someone's degree of influence over a map's current state is worth mention. I guess it also wouldn't hurt to let people know that I'm maintaining a few maps that I'm not necessarily the designer of, though I have modified them.

I'm fine with whatever you decide.
I think it's desirable to leave off very minor contributions from the map credit list, but only if the contributor gives his/her consent to be left off of the credit list of the map in question.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."