Invasion from the Unknown (legacy version)

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jacob_Marley

Re: Invasion from the Unknown

Post by Jacob_Marley »

One problem that I'm having with the battle with the shadow master is that whenever he is hit with damage that is not the Union attack, he fully heals. This seems to make it impossible to win as all he has to do is make a melee attack (or attack a target other than Mal Keshar or Eleyna, and he fully heals every time. How do I get around this?

On the development side, I'd like to see the Absorb damage feature only available if the shadow master is attacked by a non-union strike and not when he is the attacker.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:...
I have IftU version 1.14.2 and Wesnoth version 1.6.4.
I was playing on the easiest difficulty level. If there is any other information I am forgetting, let me know.
The saved game you provided contains AI players' information from past scenarios, namely Alazar and Wygerm (7th and 9th teams in "Strike on New Knalga"), in the form of recallable units, which of course don't belong to the saved game. I'm not sure why this happened, and I cannot reproduce the bug here with 1.6.5 and the latest revision of IftU for Wesnoth 1.6.x. It could be that you hit an obscure IftU or engine bug at some point while you were playing that scenario. Maybe you still have a saved game right before the end of that scenario (hopefully with the same gamestate that led to this condition)?

You can attach them here, actually; I did not notice that was possible.
One problem that I'm having with the battle with the shadow master is that whenever he is hit with damage that is not the Union attack, he fully heals. This seems to make it impossible to win as all he has to do is make a melee attack (or attack a target other than Mal Keshar or Eleyna, and he fully heals every time. How do I get around this?
With some luck and making sure Mal Keshar and Elynia don't get killed while the other units remain out of Shadow Master's reach. It's ridiculously difficult, yes. I intend to use Elyssa's damage absorption code instead as soon as I can.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

:( No, I'm afraid I don't... After I finish a scenario in a campaign, I always delete all my mid-scenario saves and autosaves and just keep the scenario start saves. (and sometimes the replays) I don't suppose a scenario start save from "Strike on New Knalga" would help?
I had the problem on Dawn of the Great War, but not the next couple scenarios, then had it again on The Heart and every scenario after that, all the way to the end. How come not on those few in-between scenarios?
Sorry I can't provide anything else helpful...
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:I don't suppose a scenario start save from "Strike on New Knalga" would help?
Not in this particular case.
Captain_Wrathbow wrote:I had the problem on Dawn of the Great War, but not the next couple scenarios, then had it again on The Heart and every scenario after that, all the way to the end. How come not on those few in-between scenarios?
That's probably because those scenarios do not have enough (7 or more) sides to make Wesnoth try to do anything with the extra "ghost" units marked as belonging to side 7 (Alazar) and 9 (Wygerm).
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
_serenity_

Post by _serenity_ »

I had the same problem.
I managed to kill the boss with Union and putting only skeletons and he doesn't get healed (I guessed he has some drain power).

(1) What difficulty levels and game (& campaign) versions have you played the scenario/campaign on?
I played both IftU campaign, easy level, Wesnoth 1.6, just downloaded Iftu.

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario/campaign? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario/campaign objectives?
Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline?
Clear, interesting and very complex story

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario/campaign?
There are some great battles (I remember a big one with dwarves allies).

(6) How fun do you think the campaign is? (1-10)
9. A lot of new units make the campaign very fun. And I like epic batlles, and recruiting from different factions.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the campaign to make it more fun?
Maybe more scenarii with recruitment allowed.
The last battle is not very epic.
I hope there will be a 3rd campaign.
And it should be mainline.

(8) Any grammatical mistakes in dialogue/story text?
I use French version of Wesnoth. Dialogs are partially translated, it's a bit odd to read.
FaiKHR

Post by FaiKHR »

This is for part one only

(1) What difficulty levels and game (& campaign) versions have you played the scenario/campaign on?

Wesnoth 1.7.13-1.8beta6
IftU - 1.70.2
Normal

i'll go scenario 1/2/3 etc
6/7/5/7/5/5/4/7/6/7/9

Always very clear.

Very intresting. I missed the bit where Mal Keshar got killed when talking to Elynia though. XD

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario/campaign?
There wasn't many ambush events so my main problem was keeping vital units alive when i was outnumbered greatly.
I found that 'Over the Sands' was improved since i last player but i wouldn't mind seeing more rewarding side ventures in it, an arcane amulet or loyal warrior spirit (lv 1 or 2) joins you etc.
The Moon Valley is too easy seeing as you are meant to be facing a hoard. I don't have an amazing recall list but i didn't need to recuite many new units to beat all 4 leaders. Strike on New Knalga is hard but fun. However, it would be nice if my allied leaders didn't do a suicidal attack when enemies got close and leave their keep ...

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the campaign to make it more fun?

At the moment hardly any changes. ^^

None that i noticed.
Icarusvogel

Post by Icarusvogel »

1.6.5, and I think 1.4 (though I'm not sure), both times on easy.
5 - on easy, it was nice to play...

Nice and clear. Great campaign.

I repeat what I said on 4 - great storyline!

No major difficulties.

9. Definitley the best user-made campaign I have played.

Um... um... um... um... I would like the types of cave monsters to vary more, but otherwise, no problem.

None that I noticed.

EDIT: In Legend of Wesmere, the unit that finds the western drone wave says "dam", not "damn". And at the start of Under the Sands, Mal Keshar says "worser". Small mistakes, of course, nothing imprtant.
You are a Necromancer - Intelligent and powerful, yet reclusive and misunderstood, you dabble in dark arts that everyone else can only dream of.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

i was playing scenario 8 and Anlinde fell into the abyss and died, but the scenario didn't end :hmm:
also, the word 'opponent' was misspelled in the Forefather description.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

Is it possible in principle to kill the Shadow Master in the last scenario of the first part?
Icarusvogel

Post by Icarusvogel »

I don't think so. He just regenerates all his HP. That was quite a shock for me.
You are a Necromancer - Intelligent and powerful, yet reclusive and misunderstood, you dabble in dark arts that everyone else can only dream of.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

he won't regenerate if you attack with 'Union'.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
estdesoda

Post by estdesoda »

1) What difficulty levels and game (& campaign) versions have you played the scenario/campaign on?

Easy, on 1.6.4.

5. I had 8 Spectral, and they literally slaughtered those -50% arcane biomechanical
monsters easily without having to worry about being poisoned. Having some (I had two) healers to follow these sepctrals solves the problem that they can't drain from metals.

The objectives were very clear, and story interesting.

Not much. I figured that ghosts were the way to go starting from..over the sand? (the
3rd scenario in 1st part), and then just sat back and watched them kill everything.
The casters with arcane attacks were about the only thing that would give me trouble.

Definitely deserving a 10.

Er..well, there weren't too many chances of recruiting the north humans.
So I when I saw that I can no more recruit them, I was a bit shocked.

Didn't notice them.
Xib

Post by Xib »

If reviewing a specific scenario, please specify.

I played the first campaign on normal, 1.8 version of Wesnoth.

Clear enough.

Well... In my opinion, the storyline was rather predictable, and the dialog was somewhat lame. The mage/advisor didn't do pretty much anything else than just sit around and say: "I've read of that somewhere..." Or "Do it."

And Malin was pretty boring. Too... human, y'know? He didn't sound like undead, more like some guy you met in a bar, and his undead minions... Speaking bats? Actually, I'd rather have all of the undead be just silent where others speak. "Oh, whoopsie, what's that?" doesn't sound very "mindless undead"-ish.

The Moon Valley. Took some defensive playing to get´through.
For the first scenario, and others like it, 8, for the others 6-7.
Less of the boring "Build army, cap villages, kill boss." and "Explore this area, kill boss." and more of the scenarios where you have a small map, and slightly overpowered enemies, so that you don't rush through, and you'll have to wait that you get the enemy minions dead, and then charge in and take his villages.
Several, I didn't write them up, though.
Last edited by Xib on July 15th, 2010, 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Xib wrote:And Malin was pretty boring. Too... human, y'know? He didn't sound like undead, more like some guy you met in a bar, and his undead minions... Speaking bats? Actually, I'd rather have all of the undead be just silent where others speak. "Oh, whoopsie, what's that?" doesn't sound very "mindless undead"-ish.
:augh: Mal Keshar was great! He was meant to be more or less a funny character. I loved him the way he was.
Xib

Post by Xib »

I would've, personally, taken a different approach at jokes, with him being dead and all.

And he reminded me of Jar Jar Binks. A forced "funny character" with almost nothing to do with the story. I hope that part 2 changes this.

Edit: But I must admit, there was some potential with him being funny character, there should be some more serious elf to counter and argue with him. I think that in some scenarios, an elf commented on the lich's words or deeds. There should be more emphasis on that, and Malin should be a bit more cryptic. Doesn't fit him very well with him going so earthly with his jokes, he is/was a mage, afterall.