Winter 2009 - Map Making Contest! UPDATED

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: Winter 2009 - Map Making Contest! UPDATED

Post by Velensk »

Is there a reason this was un-stickied?
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Velensk wrote:Is there a reason this was un-stickied?
I didn't do it, but I'd guess it's because we're about to wrap it up. Stay tuned.... :)
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
krotop
2009 Map Contest Winner

Post by krotop »

EDIT : I requested to move that message to a new thread, so that any discussion is possible without flooding the contest thread. Any discussion about the future development can be made there, though no change will be done until the contest is over.
The map thread
Last edited by krotop on January 22nd, 2010, 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don't trust me, I'm just average player.
Game feedback for the Nightmares of Meloen
Art feedback by mystic x the unknown
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Ok, all the stuff was coded and works. I had been quite prudent about judge my own work, but finally I dare to say it: This is great stuff! 8)
Play test looked show eruption more profitable than I expected. 10 turns of a 3v3 game are like 30 turns in a 1v1 one. Sometimes players get tired and a long game can suddenly become ruined for no so well thought moves due to that mind exaustion. A new feature at that moment, looked to really help in keep player interested in game. I really recomend to usual 3v3 players add this map to their current 3v3 maps available choices. Have fun :)
Attachments
volcano map&cfg.rar
(3.03 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
Last edited by tekelili on January 15th, 2010, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

I am pleased to see that the creative juices are still flowing! I don't think we were clear with deadlines for the second round (what with the holidays and such), but for the purposes of this contest we are not considering any new revisions anymore (otherwise this never ends!). We are of course happy to consider, comment, and revise maps going forward. In fact, that was a large goal of the contest - getting more people seriously thinking about maps. A post with winners and details should be forthcoming, and then we'll look at the new stuff. This was more work than the judges imagined and we got a bit bogged down, but I am really pleased with the results. I'd like to thank everyone for their participation, and we look forward to continuing to grow the map making community.

'mute
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

So.......

The truth is that we've known the winner for close to two weeks now, and it's been my desire to get these full rundown/reviews of the various finalist maps finished that has been holding things up. Life has been insanely busy, and I've not been able to articulate my thoughts on said maps as completely as I'd have wanted to. Here's what I'm going to propose:

If you want me to give your map a full evaluation, let's just meet on the server at an agreed upon time. We can post the replays (for the purpose of any interested people being able to read the chatlogs) to this (or another) thread.

That being said, I'm going to announce the winner now.

:)

I will say that the decision was extremely difficult for all of us, and ultimately, a major deciding factor was the distinctiveness and creativity of the map, in regards to both playstyle and visual dynamic.

And so, the winner is.....
The Winner:
Remember, all of the finalists will see their maps included in a special map pack that the judges will be assembling.

Thanks to one and all for participating! Though it's been challenging at times, it was a wonderful experience on the whole, and I hope to have more such contests in the future. Extra props go to my fellow judges, who showed great dedication, and helped energize me when my power levels were low. So, one hundred thank-yous to them, and one hundred thank-yous to all of you, for making this tournament such a success!

:D
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Congratulations.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Quetzalcoatl

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Congratulations.

I hope we will have one more conntest in 2010 ;)
Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Congrats to winner and judges, was a fun contest. :)
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
krotop
2009 Map Contest Winner

Post by krotop »

Awesome! :D

The choice certainly was quite difficult. I think I'd have voted myself for tekelili's, but that'd have been putting aside the other excellent maps of all finalists, all having strong ideas, like the reliable terrain pattern of Quetzacoatl, the audacious concept of F8, the appealing coulour theme of the Plateau along with its realistic design, ... Ok, I'm not going to list all the qualities of each map, but in each of them I saw things that were quite worth trying and at least watching for the people who want to design maps. And I'm confident to say that the pack that will come out of this contest will be popular.

The dedication of the jugdes and the map designers has been mentioned already but I'm going to pill on it and affirm that for my part it's been a real source of motivation. To be honest at the very beginning I was just going to show some idea to "fuel" the other map makers (from the contest or not), in a way to prove that not everything had been done and there was still room for new ideas. But in the end I got caught in the game and powered up myself by this dedication from Doc, jb and Wintermute, and by the map contesters and the persons who gave feedback. So a big thanks to all of you, and I hope other such tournaments will happen in the future. :)
Don't trust me, I'm just average player.
Game feedback for the Nightmares of Meloen
Art feedback by mystic x the unknown
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Make no mistake, there were a lot of great maps in the contest. I'm hoping an "official" map-pack will keep these maps alive. I encourage all authors to keep working on balance, as we can eaisily update this map-pack from time to time. Volcano (which was 2nd place) and others may still get mainlined later.

Congrats to krotop on your fine map. Very creative.

Now we'll just ask Shadowmaster to update your forum title, as promised. :)

cheers,
jb
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Rya

Post by Rya »

Can someone post pictures of the winner maps? I don't wanna browse through the whole thread.
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".