Wesnoth 1.7.12 aka 1.8-beta5

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Wesnoth 1.7.12 aka 1.8-beta5

Post by ivanovic »

Wesnoth 1.7.12 aka 1.8-beta5 is out!

This is the fifth beta for the upcoming 1.8 series. We do encourage every player to test this release and report all bugs they find so that we can still fix them before we release 1.8. Beside this content creators should start porting their work to the soon to come 1.8 series. Since we are in a feature freeze for some time already, WML should be rather stable. The add-on server was already restarted when 1.7.8 was released. Please make sure that everything you upload is compatible with 1.7.8 and later.

The speed in the multiplayer lobby should have been significantly improved in this release. Beside this several cases of vanishing units when reloading a savegame in various campaigns should have been fixed, too. Of course there are also many other bug fixes as well as smaller improvements.

Some other important things to mention:
Parts MP lobby code have been rewritting. Please let us know whether the lobby is now fast enough and report bugs in the lobby if you find them.
There seem to be problems with Wesnoth and boost 1.41 iostreams (especially on 64bit systems). For now we advice not to use boost 1.41 or check if your version of boost already fixed the issue (a fix should be included in archlinux and gentoo, possibly in other distributions, too)
If you experience problems with mouse events (clicking!) not working make sure to check which version of libsdl you use. If you are using libsdl-1.2.14 try downgrading to libsdl-1.2.13. The problem is reported upstream though we are grateful for any additional details you can provide especially regarding how to reproduce it (the upstream developer seems to not be able to (easily) reproduce it). Please add your information in this bug report or in one of the linked reports: https://gna.org/bugs/?14770

Of course there is also the full changelog listing (almost) all the changes since 1.7.11. A changelog with changes that might be visible to most users (and only includes these) is the players changelog.

Downloads
Sources:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... 2/download (264.1 MB) md5sum
Here is the xDelta for the sources:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... a/download (1.7.11 to 1.7.12, 3.4 MB)
Check http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7034 for info on using xdelta.

The Windows package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

The MacOSX package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

Many of the Linux packages have already been created. All known packagers have been contacted. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to get them work you get on the Linux binaries site for the Linux binaries. Download links for the other supported systems will be listed at the downloads page once the binaries are available.

As a fallback you can also get the sources from http://files.wesnoth.org/ - you should first try to get files through SourceForge to help us save bandwidth. Please get the files from sourceforge.net if possible.

The multiplayer server for 1.7.14 is already up and running. This server can be used to play with all versions since 1.7.8. If you do encounter problems, please report them.

A new add-on server was started when 1.7.8-beta1 was released. All content uploaded to this new server should be compatible with the following 1.7.x beta releases, release candidates for 1.8, as well as the final 1.8.x series. If you encounter any problems with content from the add-on server not working as expected, please notify the content's author, most of them should be here in the forums.

If you find any bugs don't hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to post bugs first. Instructions for bug reporting can be found at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/ReportingBugs.

Enjoy!

PS: Within the next seven days anyone asking when the binary for xyz will be ready will be banned and the post will be deleted. Such questions just distract the developers and packagers and don't do any good, so better not ask them...
Bugreports in the forums tend to get forgotten. You will get better results by following the guidelines and report them in the bugtracker.
mabeenot

Re: Wesnoth 1.7.12 aka 1.8-beta5

Post by mabeenot »

Might want to fix the date on the website's front page announcement. We're in 2010 now. :eng:
Faello

Post by Faello »

Just curious, are the following problems:

a) replays from loaded games are corrupted
b) AI sees player hidden units

...will be still present in 1.8 line ? :?
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

mabeenot wrote:Might want to fix the date on the website's front page announcement. We're in 2010 now. :eng:
Fixed it. This happens when writing stuff at midnight...
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Faello wrote:b) AI sees player hidden units
I can absolutely guarantee you this is not the case. The AI, for all of its shortcomings, happens to be good at guessing where hidden units might be, but it cannot just see a unit that it shouldn't.

I'd post a replay as an example, but really that should be your job, if you want to prove otherwise.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

More specifically, units hidden by abilities such as nightstalk or ambush are indeed invisible to the AI. It completely ignores fog and shroud however.
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

ivanovic wrote:
mabeenot wrote:Might want to fix the date on the website's front page announcement. We're in 2010 now. :eng:
Fixed it. This happens when writing stuff at midnight...
And you can probably blame me for that one; I completely forgot to make the Mac package on Sunday, so I had to do it on Monday, making Ivanovic have to stay up till midnight to announce... And then in turn I blame my ISP for the super slow internet; it could've been at least a couple hours earlier if I had good internet.
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

I noticed that my changes to the lobby seem to cause redraw glitches and some
parts not properly being redrawn. This will be fixed in the next release.
Faello

Post by Faello »

Ken_Oh wrote:I can absolutely guarantee you this is not the case. The AI, for all of its shortcomings, happens to be good at guessing where hidden units might be, but it cannot just see a unit that it shouldn't.

I'd post a replay as an example, but really that should be your job, if you want to prove otherwise.
Yes, I have to apologise for my post indicating that stealth or similar abilities are broken, I did a test before I posted it in Fall of Trent using my vagabond in stealth mode, but he was caught next turn by a lvl2 wolf that moved not in the optimal direction for him, thus either AI "predicted" my movement or just went into search mode for my hidden unit or just did move like that and it was an accident.

When I again did this test and went into stealth mode again, I was able to pass through the orcish lines in this scenario undetected, until day come so it seems this ability works fine afterall :D

Still, what about first problem:

Many of great games are the games that have to be continued via reloading and it totally destroys the replay - can we count that this will be repaired, maybe not in the coming, but next after this one stable release ?
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Faello wrote:Still, what about first problem:

That is supposed to be fixed. If it should not, please contact me and i will make it happen.

Btw, for 1.6. replays there is an application that's able to fix savefiles of reloaded games, so that you are able to watch the replay. It's been announced on the forums somewhere, can't reproduce the thread out of my head, though.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Nobun
Code Contributor

Post by Nobun »

Thank Yogi for mentioning my little application
The replay fixer is available for download here

As you read, there are two way to fix a replay with this program.
The first one works only on standard maps (no village owned at start, players must start only with leader and no empty slots).
The second one works with all type of maps (but it can be less intuitive at start). Regardless of what documentations said, you need to find the first part of game (you don't really need a replay game with ONLY turn1, but you need only the replay of the first part of game - regardless of the turn reached and regardless if you did several saves) and to find the last part of the game (always in replay format)

If you have the savefile (if you haven't you can find it also in http://www.wesnoth.org/replays/1.7) of the first part of the match but not in replay format, don't worry.
If you convert the save file into replay (load game - save as replay) you can use that replay as parameter and fix will work.

The major problem (both with method1 and method2) is you cannot use .gz file so, before using my program, you have to uncompress them manually. Program works only on uncompressed replays. Actually I have no the skills to edit directly compressed files, even if gz format is well documented

Ps I confirm that in some situations, the replays can be corrupted again. I will contact you in those days, yogi, to explain in details what I see (now I cannot, sorry)
Last edited by Nobun on January 27th, 2010, 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
slaj

Post by slaj »

downloaded this version after long absence here. and I got crash on MacOS always reproducible

startup the game after fresh installation (in windowed mode), go to preferences, select display, click change resolution, change resolution from default 1024x768 to 1280x1024 (still in windowed mode), click OK. kaboom!

ahh right, I have found that bug already here: https://gna.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=13639
anyway, confirmed. It's still there.
lmelior

Post by lmelior »

Hello, I don't know if this is common knowledge but I wanted to report that building wesnoth from source also requires libboost-serialization. I'd never hit this snag before because Ubuntu recommends every boost library when you try to install any one of them, thus installing all of them unless you specifically tell it not to do so. So I'm not sure how long this has been the case. After installing most other dependencies, I used:

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude install --without-recommends libboost-iostreams-dev
Which should've been okay because that pulls in libboost-regex-dev automatically (but not all the other Boost libs). But upon compiling I get the attached errors. Installing libboost-serialization-dev has fixed the problem.

Probably not a big deal since most people probably just install all of the boost libraries anyway, but I thought maybe the CompilingWesnoth page should be updated.
Attachments
wesnoth_errors.log
(12.64 KiB) Downloaded 613 times
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

What you mention in here is something ubuntu/debian has to solve. In general there are some "internal dependencies" in boost. That is: boost itself is not really meant to be split apart. There is *NO* need to update the compiling wesnoth page since we ourself do really only depend on the ones listed there. If the split breaks things, that is something the packagers have to fix. With other words: report it "upstream" and tell them to add a hard dependency!
lmelior

Post by lmelior »

ivanovic wrote:What you mention in here is something ubuntu/debian has to solve. In general there are some "internal dependencies" in boost. That is: boost itself is not really meant to be split apart.
Ah, that is a good point.

I dug further and it seems I didn't investigate my error closely enough. Aside from iostreams and regex, Wesnoth also uses the boost multi-index containers library in src/shared_object.hpp, which Ubuntu includes in the main libboost-dev package. That is the one with the internal dependency on serialization. I found similar bug reports for both Ubuntu (bug #159983) and Debian (bug #480948). Thanks for the direction, I'll see what I can do about that upstream report.

Congrats on tagging 1.7.13 this morning too, by the way. I'm looking forward to grabbing the xdelta and updating!