New animations

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
pauxlo

Re: New animations

Post by pauxlo »

Federalist marshal wrote:For the first time in awhile I've made some in-between frames again, this time two frames for the javelineer's attack animation. They're the 2nd and 4th frames in this gif animation; I've found that it might work with or without the final frame.
As always, comments are appreciated.
You now that this is no slashing animation, but a pointing one?
So, number 2 seems to be useless, since in Wesnoth units never atack in West/East direction. (A south or north one would be more useful.)
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

what about the standing animations? animating flags, capes or fires is necesary? i think that it is....check this test on pillager......
Attachments
pillagertest.gif
pillagertest.gif (5.87 KiB) Viewed 5270 times
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

rhyging5 wrote:what about the standing animations? animating flags, capes or fires is necesary? i think that it is....check this test on pillager......
Main reason that hasn't been done - no-one's stepped forward to do so and everyone's focusing more on attack animations. That fire looks pretty good though :)
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

Well, A couple units already have standing/idle animations like the thief line and I think some others.
"Do YOU know the muffin man?"
."Don't wake me if I'm dreaming."
.."Even words can drive a man to madness."
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

That looks awesome! I think if you wanted to make it even better, you could (maybe this is better to be done via halo so as to not mess up the TC but) show how the light variates with the flame? Like brighten the pixels that would have the light from the flame in reference to the flames movements, I hope that made sense?
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

Mirion147 wrote:That looks awesome! I think if you wanted to make it even better, you could (maybe this is better to be done via halo so as to not mess up the TC but) show how the light variates with the flame? Like brighten the pixels that would have the light from the flame in reference to the flames movements, I hope that made sense?

thanks! but i have the handicap of de language, then, in which frame and how you might put more intensify?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

rhyging5 wrote:what about the standing animations? animating flags, capes or fires is necesary?
As Cloud pointed out, the only reason that only some units have standing/idle animations is because that other unit animations are more important to complete, and so no one focused on doing the standing ones. If that is what you would like to do, give it a go.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The animation looks pretty good to me - the dfficulty with this particular unit is that that animated nature needs to be applied to all the frames, not just the base frame - it's something jet's had in mind for a while, but i think he was waiting til after he'd replaced the wolves first...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

turuk says: As Cloud pointed out, the only reason that only some units have standing/idle animations is because that other unit animations are more important to complete, and so no one focused on doing the standing ones. If that is what you would like to do, give it a go.[/quote]

it' clear to me that standing animations almost no interest to anyone ..... You have not even bothered to review the test Impaler ..... So...I do not care to contribute in this line....
melinath

Post by melinath »

rhyging5 wrote:it' clear to me that standing animations almost no interest to anyone ..... You have not even bothered to review the test Impaler ..... So...I do not care to contribute in this line....
What? No! Please, make standing animations. People may not be interested in making them, but people are very interested in seeing them made. They add a lot to the game. :-)
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

melinath wrote:What? No! Please, make standing animations. People may not be interested in making them, but people are very interested in seeing them made. They add a lot to the game. :-)
QFET.

Just because I personally rate attack animations over standing and idle animations, does not mean you should. Standing and idle will get more exposure than attack anims ever will. Please carry on the good work
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

rhyging5 wrote:it' clear to me that standing animations almost no interest to anyone ..... You have not even bothered to review the test Impaler ..... So...I do not care to contribute in this line....
Huh? You are grossly misinterpreting what we are saying. What people were trying to tell you is that the area has been overlooked previously in the focus on other animations, but it is certainly an area that we would like to see progress in. As others have noted, please continue. The lack of critique on the Goblin Pillager (which I guess is what you meant by Impaler?) has nothing to do with us not wanting you to do the work.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

rhyging5 wrote:what about the standing animations? animating flags, capes or fires is necesary? i think that it is....check this test on pillager......
Animations like this are very welcome. :) We're not personally working on it, but it's just because we're so busy - we'd love someone else (like you) to take it on.

One major request, though - make the creatures 'breathe' in the animation, like in a fighting game. The flame you have there is great, if you can combine that with making the creature move a bit, too, we'll be set.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Jetrel wrote:
One major request, though - make the creatures 'breathe' in the animation, like in a fighting game. The flame you have there is great, if you can combine that with making the creature move a bit, too, we'll be set.
I'm certainly not one to tell the art director how to direct art, but...that sort of requires every single unit in the game to have breathing animations for consistency, no? There aren't any other units with fire, so just having the fire animated doesn't make the unit stand out as odd...but if its chest is heaving and it's the only unit on the field like that, wouldn't it be a little glaring? It's going to take years to animate them all like that.
Last edited by A-Red on December 18th, 2009, 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

A-Red wrote:I'm certainly not one to tell the art director how to direct art, but...that sort of requires every single unit in the game to have breathing animations for consistency, no? There aren't any other units with fire, so just having the fire animated doesn't make the unit stand out as odd...but if its chest is heaving and it's the only unit on the field like that, wouldn't it be a little glaring?
I presume the plan would be to eventually have all units do that.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.