Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

artisticdude's Art

Post by artisticdude »

EDIT: Name modification, for the twenty-millionth time.
Last edited by artisticdude on February 20th, 2012, 1:06 pm, edited 36 times in total.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
StDrake

Re: Anyone want to give me a try?

Post by StDrake »

you're making too many topics
I can only offer a faction with many unit sprites to work on. I had to put it on hold due to real life activities and can't handle it on my own right now, so you're free to have a try at them, they should still be in a rough-but-playable form somewhere on the addon server. Details in this topic: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 25&start=0
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
melinath

Post by melinath »

Shoot! StDrake beat me.
Here's my offer. This one's an active project.
warrior_progression.png
warrior_progression.png (6.45 KiB) Viewed 10272 times
This is a progression for a hero in my UMC. Left: Level 1. Right: Level 2. As you can see, two of the units are identical. Either the unit on the left (Swordsman) needs to be replaced with a slightly smaller and less impressive sprite, or the one on the bottom right (Sword Master) needs to be replaced with a same-sized, slightly more impressive sprite more evocative of the name. If you want, you can even replace both! Look forward to seeing your results!

Edit:: I should clarify that I usually would not post like this after someone had already approached you. StDrake posted while I was writing, so I just posted what I had anyway.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Thanks for giving me some work! I'll get back to you when I've got something reasonable and see what you think. Please don't be afraid to criticize me! Practice makes perfect.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

artisticdude wrote:Thanks for giving me some work! I'll get back to you when I've got something reasonable and see what you think. Please don't be afraid to criticize me! Practice makes perfect.
Keep it all in this thread, or I will do it for you. If you continue making a new thread over every thought, you may find some of them disappearing.

Welcome to the forums.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Oops. Sorry. I'm a bit exited about joining the forum. I'll try to be more conservative. Working on longswordsman. I'll keep you posted.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Sword Master

I'm taking a stab at making the sword master. Here's my first attempt. It was going fine until I realized it was starting to look too much like the lieutenant. Is that a problem for you? What I did was take the existing swordsman sprite, lengthen the blade, made his helmet longer and thinner, add a feather, and made the crossguard a bit longer. Is this going in the right direction, or did you envision something else? If so, can you give me some specifics as to what you want (i.e.: double-handed sword and no shield, larger shield, what shape of helmet, do you want a feather on the top of helmet)? I hesitate to attempt any animation without your giving me the green light. Please note that, despite the name of the file, this isn't my final effort.
Attachments
the final effort.png
the final effort.png (5.26 KiB) Viewed 10146 times
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

One problem is that most non-spriters who play Wesnoth won't even be able to tell there's a difference between this guy and the normal Lieutenant. Try making him a bit more different.
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

Bigger shield, Thicker sword... broadsword?, Maybe a different helmet would be good.
"Do YOU know the muffin man?"
."Don't wake me if I'm dreaming."
.."Even words can drive a man to madness."
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I was thinking about the helmet, and I thought it might be cool to give him a visor on his helmet. Maybe I could give him some silver or gold embellishing on his armor, sort of like the royal guard. Maybe a different armor color too, to distinguish him apart from the lieutenant. Or do you think I'm better off restarting from scratch?
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

starting from scratch would give you a better experience if you can cope with it
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

oh, and another thought: how much armor should this master swordsman be wearing, and what kind? He should probably be wearing chain mail where the swordsman is wearing leather, and the rest should probably be plate armor. Are there any particular kinds of helmets you would suggest? Include a picture if possible.
melinath

Post by melinath »

There's only so much you can do at this size... Try a helmet like the Lieutenant has - no feathers, though - but a different pose. Perhaps look at the Elvish swordsmen for inspiration. Make the shield a little bigger. Think of this unit as sitting between a swordsman and a royal guard.

You may find this useful, though it's not the only way to do it.

Let me know if you want more details.

EDIT(fmunoz): Fixed wiki link.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I frankenstiened a helmet onto the swordsman, then modified the helmet to suit my needs. Does the top of the helmet look a bit bald, like it needs a darker outline or something? Recolored the helmet to match the armor (the color's still not perfect, but I'm still working on it) and made the sword a bit broader. Do you think the blood channel on the sword should be moved further to the right? I've got a shield in the works, doing that from scratch.
Attachments
master swordsman2.png
master swordsman2.png (5.32 KiB) Viewed 10093 times
Huston

Post by Huston »

the helmet and the sword look good to me, but the style of them doesn't really fit with the swordsman's body,
coded Rebellion During the Dark Age
Currently working on:
Era of the Future