Any interest in a Latin Translation?

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Deusite
Translator

Re: Any interest in a Latin Translation?

Post by Deusite »

The only loan words that retain 'th', afaik, are proper nouns. So it would be 'Proelium pro Vesnothe'.

I prefer using faux loan words. If anything else for simplicity. I dug around for alternatives, but they don't shorten the original by much. Fifth declensions are used with a few exceptions for feminine nouns, so remember that for adjectives 'n stuff. :eng:

As for the races on this page. I don't see anything major, in fact I appreciate the poetic license on some of them. My thoughts:
  • Orcus is given as orcs, but with a capital 'o' it refers to the god of the underworld. Nice, but it needs to be distinguished.
  • Grypes should be amended to Gryps, Grypis m. since that is what Gryphon actually is in Latin.
  • Nagas aren't given but they're translated as naga, nagae f., which will have to stay as a loan word
  • Woses are given as Vosus, Vosi m. A variation of hamadryads is possible. Perhaps something like hamadryad, hamadryadis m/f.
  • Ogres are given as immanus, immani m.
If you don't mind, I'd like to use that page to decline those words properly, just for clarity.

Goblins need to be decided, because our goblins are different. Since they're small orcs, something like orculus, orculi m. is appropriate.
AKA Marz
Two profiles are better than one
Latin Translator
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

I think "Vesnotes" might be better than "Vesnothes" because the former looks more like proper Latin. The whole "th" thing is more Greek, unless we want to imply that the older tongue is related to Greek.

Your points are valid. As for the woses, we might want to keep it as a "loan word" since woses are technically different from other tree-creatures (such as ents).

I'm going through the main menu as it stands right now in 1.7.7+ SVN:

Tutorial: Schola
Campaign: Stipendium
Multiplayer: Plures Lusores
Load: Restituere
Add-ons: (nothing)
Map Editor: (nothing)
Language: Lingua
Preferences: Impostationes
Credits: (nothing)
Quit: Relinquere

For "add-ons" I'm going to use the word "appendix" in its plural form "appendices" since "add-ons" is kind of an idiom. I think its definition fits, considering that they didn't have a technological equivalent to add-ons back in the Roman days.

The use of the word "relinquere" doesn't quite seem fitting according to the dictionary I'm currently using. I understand that the intent is a direct translation of "quit," but I think the synonym of "leave" might be more fitting to translate from, in which case "linquere" or "exire" is probably a more suitable translation, although "deserere" would be somewhat humorous to use since it would imply "giving up" or "abandoning" Vesnotes.

For "credits" I'm thining of acknowledgement or recognition as the intended definition, so the plural of "agnitio" or "adgnitio" ("agnitiones" or "adgnitiones") would be a good translation. I think before this was broken the translation used was "nomines," literally "names."

EDIT: Main menu worked out on IRC. Hooray! \o/
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Thanks to Aeth's signature I found this thread and will keep an eye on it. Maybe I would also be able to help, although I don't use IRC on a regular basis. Anyhow, there's at least the chance I'd learn something new and practise my Latin.

As for my qualification: I had to study Latin at University for four years and am now also teaching this subject at a public school (since August). At the moment I am working myself into the language again while only teaching beginner-classes, but I always was fond of Latin and would be glad to contribute, if I can.

Edit: First minor contributions, based on SVN:

Code: Select all

msgid "Compressed Saves"
msgstr "Condensare ludos conservatos"

msgid "Confirm deleting saves"
msgstr "Confirmare deletio ludorum conservatorum"

As I see it, these are some of the few simple things left. For the longer and more complicated parts I'll wait til some new books arrive tomorrow or the day after. ;)

postscriptum secundum:
Aeth, any ideas how to coordinate the work best?
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Thanatos wrote:postscriptum secundum:
Aeth, any ideas how to coordinate the work best?
At the moment, we're doing an interesting method: We're working via the wiki (on the pages [wiki]Latin Translation[/wiki] and [wiki]Latin Translation/Details[/wiki]) to translate, while using IRC (#wesnoth-la on freenode) for talk regarding the translations. The idea is basically to use the wiki like a giant collaborative text file while we talk it over in real-time when we're both (Deusite and me) are online. We're using IRC because (1) Wesnoth already has a presence there and (2) this way more people can join in if they wish.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

Í think "Bodyguard" schould be rather "praetorianus" then "Bucellarius"(bucellarii were usually mounted bodyguards of rich men,while the Praetorian Guard were the empireal ones.)
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

Please delete!
Last edited by Drakefriend on June 29th, 2010, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

Please delete!
Last edited by Drakefriend on June 29th, 2010, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Sorry, a wide variety of different RL things have intervened to make me too busy to translate lately. I should be able to resume my work on the menus and core in the next few days.

Translators: If you don't know what to translate, it's probably best to pick a campaign since most of the menus are useable now (and most of the remaining core work just involves guessing a translation for computer-related words that didn't exist in the Roman times, which is harder than it looks and best done consistently by one person and then reviewed collectively). This goes with my strategy of doing the most visible translations first. I should be able to submit any updates (both the campaigns and my core work) before Wesnoth 1.7.10, and before then no regular users will be able to see them anyway.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Just for coordination purposes: I'll start working on the translation of "Decursus In Caecitatem" (Descent into Darkness).
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

Why is "Mage"(female) not translated with "Maga", the existing female equivalent of "Magus", as used for "Mage"(male), but with "Striga", a type of demonic shapeshifting witches who drink the blood of men at night wearing the guise of a bird?
Why is "Augur"(a Latin word!) translated with "Haruspex", another group of clairvoyant priests? I think "Augur" shall stay "Augur", "Oracle" becomes "Oraculum" (exactly the same in Latin) and maybe "Haruspex" for "Soothsayer".
Deusite
Translator

Post by Deusite »

I think you're looking at the wrong version. All of our updates so far have only been committed into the dev releases. :eng: Unit names etc; the Saurians have already been named as you suggested and the female mage has become "saga", since "magus" refers specifically to a man, and "maga" doesn't really exist.

And then there's this, which shows the most up to date unit names (or should).
AKA Marz
Latin Translator
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Deusite wrote:I think you're looking at the wrong version. All of our updates so far have only been committed into the dev releases. :eng: Unit names etc; the Saurians have already been named as you suggested and the female mage has become "saga", since "magus" refers specifically to a man, and "maga" doesn't really exist.

And then there's this, which shows the most up to date unit names (or should).
I suppose venefica is an option as a female mage, as it means sorceress/witch.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

Oh,sorry.
But it is Lemur without an e!
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

LightFighter wrote:I suppose venefica is an option as a female mage, as it means sorceress/witch.
Yes, but it fits dark/harmful magic more since the root word also means poison...
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Deusite
Translator

Post by Deusite »

Drakefriend wrote:Oh,sorry.
But it is Lemur without an e!
You're right there, except now our wraiths are named after a primate. :P
the hallowed god of knowledge wrote:The term "lemur" is derived from the Latin word lemures, meaning "spirits of the night" or "haunter".
Go figure... and "larva" wasn't much better for anything ghosty or skeletal either.
AKA Marz
Latin Translator