Tabletop Default Era

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ibaxx

Tabletop Default Era

Post by ibaxx »

Hello,
i am looking for a mod, which make the gameplay more like a tabletop bowrd game.
without villages....
without recruiting...
maybe with random armys or with choose an place the army.

is there one like this?

thanks
Last edited by ibaxx on December 2nd, 2009, 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: Looking for a Mod

Post by Velensk »

I seem to recall there have been several attempts at this. None of them survived AFAIK.

I prefer the table board games that allow recruitment generally rather than just point buy or random armies though I'm fine with the ones where you simply play pre-planned scenarios as long as the game and scenarios are good.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
ibaxx

Post by ibaxx »

do you have some suggestions for me???

maybe an other game?
or tabletop like scenarios?
tsr

Post by tsr »

You can always make on yourself. And since I am in a wesnoth coding spree at the moment I can get you started if you give more detail.

Details would include stuff like:
- how do you win?
- how many units are allowed?
- how do you decide which units to give each side
- any specifics of the map?
- whatever you could come up with

/tsr
ibaxx

Post by ibaxx »

tsr wrote:You can always make on yourself. And since I am in a wesnoth coding spree at the moment I can get you started if you give more detail.

Details would include stuff like:
- how do you win?
- how many units are allowed?
- how do you decide which units to give each side
- any specifics of the map?
- whatever you could come up with

/tsr
maybe we can discuss it...

in classic tabletop like warhammer fantasy or armalion you win when you destroy all other units or the units give up.
the units arent limited
maybe we can use the same gold costs like in the normal wesnoth version to got the system balanced
the random maps are good for the game... no villigas and it is like tabletop style boards

maybe it is possible to make the units move in hordes... i mean that u should place them near by near to get them stronger. u can use the unit specific random talent for this i think?

i hope my english is not to bad ;)
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

This sounds like an OK idea for a scenario.

If I were to do it, I would make the 1st turn special: give each side a bunch of gold, cut the play field in half, fog the opposing side (so no one could see the other sides' units), give units their movement points when recruited and refresh their movement points whenever they move. Then, when both sides are set up, remove the split in the battlefield, disable that movement refreshing and take away the recruiting (either wipe the recruit lists or take away the keeps).

Level 0 units would probably be underpowered, as upkeep will mean nothing, so you'd want to consider decreasing their costs, but that's just a detail.

I'd also make it so you don't lose the game when your leader is killed.
krotop
2009 Map Contest Winner

Post by krotop »

It would certainly be cool to create for multiplayer scenarios where you have preset armies in a given situation with different advantages for each side (number on one side, terrain advantage on the other for instance), but this is a lot of work and is likely to have little replay value if you want to tone down the random elements in benefit to balance.
Don't trust me, I'm just average player.
Game feedback for the Nightmares of Meloen
Art feedback by mystic x the unknown
tsr

Post by tsr »

Ok, I think I get the general idea... Will make a quick hack tomorrow.

One thing though: villages are needed, healing is crucial. Removing the keep or the available recruits is enough.

I intend to make a mod that works like this:
- you pick any default north vs south 1v1 map you want (later support for east vs west can be added)
- you use the tabletop era (that I will code tomorrow)
- you pick whatever faction and leader you want (including random)
- when the game starts a thick wall is laid on the middle of the map (so that each side has 1/3rd of the map for themselves and 1/3 of the map is completely covered - this can be adjusted after some playtesting). Also the map will force shroud so that you can't see the units of the other side. Using fog will be optional.
- on the first round of turns you get to recruit whatever units you want/can afford
- these units have infinite moves during the first turn so that you can position them in your area
- on the second round all units receive their real movement, the wall is taken away the shroud is cleared and the allowed recruits list is zapped
- the game begins for real

Thoughts for later versions:
- allow to play any 1v1 map
- allow to set traits for the units at start (each trait costs 1-2 gold) and during the game (so that each level up gives you a random trait that you can give to whatever unit you want)
- allow to buy level 2's (so instead base the mod on "Age of Heroes" instead of "Default")

So, if you are ok with this plan I will make it tomorrow (but it will be for 1.7.9 and not the current stable version 1.6.5 - if there are any differences at all that is)

/tsr
ibaxx

Post by ibaxx »

sounds great... maybe you can disable the villages?
that you cant earn money?

an the leader can die at first it does nothing...

more details we can discuss after testplaying
Rya

Post by Rya »

Can't you just set the gold income to 0 (and gold per village to 0 as well or just don't place villages)?
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Disabling recruitment is as simple as emptying the recruit lists or removing the keeps, no mucking about with villages needed.

Dividing the map in half will require some calculations to decide what exactly *is* the dividing line, plus actually chopping it in half.
Doing this through terrain modification is easy, but changing it back is a lot harder, as you'd either need the path to the map, or a method to store the old one (feature for 1.9?).
A different way would be to fill the center up with units from a neutral side (a thick line so fast scouts can't make it through), but adding sides on the fly isn't supported either, so that'd mean changing the side of the units every side turn until you kill them off at turn 2.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

AI wrote:A different way would be to fill the center up with units from a neutral side (a thick line so fast scouts can't make it through), but adding sides on the fly isn't supported either, so that'd mean changing the side of the units every side turn until you kill them off at turn 2.
This sounds like a better solution to me. What I'd do is put a line of units from whatever side's turn it isn't and have them petrified so you couldn't attack them.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Wouldn't they then be able to see any units adjacent to the petrified units? Wouldn't it be better to assign the statues to an AI side, then remove them all when the initial positioning is done?
tsr

Post by tsr »

Ok, now there is a new add-on on the 1.7.9 server...

Tabletop Default Era
----------------------

- this works on 1.7.9 and is untested on 1.6.5
- chose whatever 1v1 map you want
- chose the Tabletop mod era
- during the first round you will be able to recruit and move your units (up to 700mp) around inside your box (approx. 1/3 of the map)
- all players get double the gold than what was set in the scenario/create dialog (since this imho requires least interaction for the set-up while still giving a reasonable amount of units to play with)
- on the second round the wall will be taken down, movement will be restored (but player 1:s units will only have half their movement available during round 2 - to negate player 1 advantage - or at least I hope that will work), allowed_recruits for each side will be cleared.
- you have to kill all units of the other side to win, so if you happen to kill the leader and there are other units around one of those gets to be the new leader.
- I haven't bothered with setting village-income, etc since you can't spend your gold it doesn't matter if you get new one ;)
- you can't use shroud when using this era atm, since I use shroud to cover things up during the set-up process and haven't bothered to remove it in a clean way.

Ok, I think that is all, let me know what you think.

/tsr

ps. what are you talking about, storing and restoring terrain is a piece of cake... :D
ibaxx

Post by ibaxx »

thank you!

i will try it later...
what about the moving in hordes? is this possible?