The Sojournings of Grog (3.6.1 is out)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eros

Re: The Sojournings of Grog (1.7)

Post by Eros »

2.4.1 released

today we have released TsoG 2.4.1. Main new feature is that you do not have to ally with the humans in B4. There are still a few anomalies however. This will probably be the last non-bugfix release or 1.6.

As usual please tell us of anything that is not correct.
You can edit the topic's headline when editing the first post.
Thankyou very much :)
"Genius is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration" (Thomas Edison) Which is why I smell so bad!
jdp

Post by jdp »

Thank you for sorting out the problems with 'The Siege'.

I've played through to 'The Back Door' and come across another problem. I appreciate that you may not be focusing on this kind of thing at the moment. When I get the gryphon boss to the signpost in the north west and Grog to the signpost in the north east nothing happens. I am assuming that the Gryphon Boss is called Jaash - the name is not in his information.

I also get the message 'attempt to recall a unit for side 2 ,which does not have a recall list " ,can you fix that?' when I try to load saved games - I know this was mentioned before.
Kerth

Post by Kerth »

I'd create the other frames, myself, too. The Cactose sprite was actually made from some heavy editing of the Wose walking corpse... you can see the similarities if you look at the body, though. The arms were made all by myself. My idea for melee is the front arm pivots and looks a bit straighter, and the back arm turns a bit away from the Cactose's face (Attached a sloppy version). The ranged attack I have no idea what to do, same for defense.
Attachments
Not looking exactly how I would want
Not looking exactly how I would want
CactoseV7Attack.png (2.45 KiB) Viewed 5466 times
Eros

Post by Eros »

Yes I like.

Hows this for attack (ignore me if you want because my art is stygian)

right arm (from YOUR point of view) pulls back while the cactose swings around with the left (would require 2 frames)

OR

follow the standard wose animation

defence

EITHER

like wose pull back and squashes arms into sides

OR

cross arms one across face and one across belly. After all what would you do if you were waving your arms in the air and some one punched you in the stomach.

ranged

tricky! :D

obviously there are projectiles in the standard WML catalogue. but...

you could just have him draw back a bit (it wouldn't even require a different frame really) and have the flying thorns do the rest. He isn't throwing them very hard after all. (The use of the thorns being that they slow the gryphons down)

comment

does a cactus have roots?

But the graphics are very good.
"Genius is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration" (Thomas Edison) Which is why I smell so bad!
Marz

Post by Marz »

TSoG for BfW 1.7 Has Been Released
AKA Deusite
Because one profile just isn't enough.
jon316

Post by jon316 »

I'm kinda confused about what to do in Siege Perilous.

I've mindlessly killed undead coming to the river since I noticed they don't come from anywhere. Do I have to continue to mindlessly kill them for 40 turns to make the tunnel open at the end of those turns?

EDIT: I've got an error in my game in 1.6.4 on the Siege Perilous. The Skeleton Rider (lvl1) shows an attack of 6-3 dummy=STR_AXE
Eros

Post by Eros »

You have to resist for as long as possible. A4 has a habit of breaking itself which is only mildly annoying. I am currently working on A5 (EUE - Expand, Update and Explain). A4 is next. :)
I have fixed the skeleton rider twice but my edits always seem to get lost.
Eros

Post by Eros »

Competition (with no prizes)

The creators of this campaign want names. We seem to manifestly lack the ability to create good names for anything. We want names for everything from enemy leaders (such as the orcs) to ally leaders (such as the humans) to places.
  • The mountain where the drake lives. Ideally we want two names one as the humans and dwarves would have known it and one as the drakes now call it.
  • The river (the river in A2 is the same as in A4,A5,A6,B2,B3,B4,B5,B7) it is currently called Ramaddron courtesy of mars. This needs changing as it is off of Lord of the Rings.
  • The town in the middle of the river.
  • All enemy leaders. (We are going to call the orcs Tan'X as in RoW)
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

I'm not looking for prizes, but if any of my submissions are acceptable, a spot in the credits (my forum name is fine) would be enough. :mrgreen:

Random Orcish-sounding names:

Gorlak
Karr
Kan-Tam
Jok
Voglik
Dor-kan
Qonan
Tsabu
Werku
Dabu

Random Human names:

Coran
Logan
Richard
Harold
Gerald
Martin
Heran
Myles
Milo

Mountain names:

Iron Mountain
Knalga Peak
Foggy Mountain
Golden Rock
Stony Peak

Drake-ish mountain names:

Fiery Mountain
Lookout Peak
Dragon's Climb
Fool's Summit (in reference to enemies who attempt to conquer the mountain and are defeated by the elements, much less Drake defenders)

River town names:

Lakeshire
Watertown
Fisher's Rest
Merryweather Docks

Misc. town names:

Dulin
Carthyn
Feln
Ye Olde Citie :lol2:
Aldrik
Fenn

That's it for now... maybe I'll think of some good random river names later
I will now resume lurking silently.
tillea

Post by tillea »

Hi,

I tried to play version 2.5.2 of TSoG under Wesnoth 1.7.7 under Debian GNU/Linux. I've found some issues which I was partly able to fix.

1. units/Runesmith.cfg was missing. I copied it from Invasion from the Unknow which worked fine.

2. B4-Waves_and_Waves.cfg: You need to substitute "Heavy Infantry" by "Heavy Infantryman" (see patch)

3. B5-The_Back_Door-Autospeichern: Mission goal is "Get Jaash to the sign post in north-east"
Unfortunately there is no such character Jaash any more. When the scenario starts Grog is acompanied by the Ranger Hazdrubal (everybody else has to be recruited). There is a Gryphon Boss in the recruit list - but it has no name. The Gryphon boss has the name Jaash only in A6-Every_Troll_To_Do_His_Duty but seems to loose this name later on.
I fixed this by changing the 'name="Gryphon Boss"' string to 'name="Jaash"' in the savegame but I have no idea how to fix this correctly.

Kind regards

Andreas.
Attachments
TSoG_heavy_infantryman.patch
s/Heavy Infantry/Heavy Infantryman/
(905 Bytes) Downloaded 545 times
Eros

Post by Eros »

I'm not looking for prizes, but if any of my submissions are acceptable, a spot in the credits (my forum name is fine) would be enough.
When we have a credits. :) Which we will sometime.
1. units/Runesmith.cfg was missing. I copied it from Invasion from the Unknow which worked fine.
OK. I must have written over it. Are you sure you were looking in the right place? Runesmith.cfg will be (if its anywhere) in INCLUDE/from_SoF/units. This is part of our include policy.
2. B4-Waves_and_Waves.cfg: You need to substitute "Heavy Infantry" by "Heavy Infantryman" (see patch)
Thankyou will fix as soon as possible.
3. B5-The_Back_Door-Autospeichern: Mission goal is "Get Jaash to the sign post in north-east"
Unfortunately there is no such character Jaash any more. When the scenario starts Grog is acompanied by the Ranger Hazdrubal (everybody else has to be recruited). There is a Gryphon Boss in the recruit list - but it has no name. The Gryphon boss has the name Jaash only in A6-Every_Troll_To_Do_His_Duty but seems to loose this name later on.
I fixed this by changing the 'name="Gryphon Boss"' string to 'name="Jaash"' in the savegame but I have no idea how to fix this correctly.
O dear I probably broke the MOVE_UNIT_IN macro. The scenario should still work. Incase you haven't noticed all the heros have different ID's underneath anyway. Thankyou for the debug.

What we are doing

Marz is still meant to be writing C1. PGAMO. I am currently
  • Making the humans much more prominant after A5
  • Redoing most of the talk for A4-S2
  • Re coding/commenting/tidying up/etc A4-S2
  • Making B3 not so easy just to slip over the mountains
  • Wishing I had an artistic streak.
We will be a while for the next version as This is quite a big job and I have University Open Days/Course Preview Days/Interviews left right and center.
Eros

Post by Eros »

TSoG 2.6.2 released.

Main additions.
  • Humans now do more stuff in story text
  • Code tidy of A4-S2
  • Talk tidy of A5-S2
Marz/Deusite has grown bored of this project :evil: :cry: (I blame the Latin translation project).
I am extremely busy at the moment. The campaign is fairly close to done and if anyone wants the fun of calling it their own they are welcome to take over. Otherwise I will keep it up to version but I will not have time to finish it. If anyone wants to take it on though let them be warned: any prospective maintainers will have to keep the campaign to the mainline inclusion standard which will be found lurking on the forums.

If anyone does want to take it on there are
  • We extracted all the talk from particular characters from UTBS.
  • We tried to explain how we want units to talk
  • There are TODO: lists dotted around the files
  • There are files explaining the logic behind everything
  • I can e-mail replies to any queries
StandYourGround

A big bug is that my non-hero units lost all XP between scenarios 2 and 3, including level ups. I had a marksman and the rest of my L1 units about to level, and got stuck with all the basic ones again.
Eros

Post by Eros »

Oh. Does that happen on other scenarios as well? If so delete startup.cfg in utils otherwise I shall have a look. Thanks
StandYourGround

Well, I was a bit peeved about losing all the XP, so I stopped playing to report that. Maybe tomorrow I can try and see what happens after scenario 3