Needs to be a "No Fly Zone" tile

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

meowreka

Needs to be a "No Fly Zone" tile

Post by meowreka »

kind of like the Impassable tile, that can be put over almost any tile.

Because I'm tired of drakes and flying units messing up an otherwise perfect map. I'm glad they can fly, really I am, but the fact of the matter is, putting water, lava, unwalkable tiles of any kind, makes the drakes the dominant faction. It's not fair.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Needs to be a "No Fly Zone" tile

Post by Ken_Oh »

Just make a lava/water/chasm/void tile that is impassible.
Qazerowl

Post by Qazerowl »

Isn't there already an Impassable overlay tile?
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

Qazerowl wrote:Isn't there already an Impassable overlay tile?
Cave Walls, and maybe Impassable Mountains, though not too sure on that last one…
meowreka

Post by meowreka »

there's impassable, surely

but the only tile that slows down flying units is the mushrooms. If there were a special tile overlay that would ground flying units and increase their movement cost, it would make balancing maps easier.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Snow, cave, and deep water all slow down drakes and most fliers some.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

meowreka wrote:there's impassable, surely

but the only tile that slows down flying units is the mushrooms. If there were a special tile overlay that would ground flying units and increase their movement cost, it would make balancing maps easier.
Cave/water? (The only alternative would be mushroom/water...)
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
meowreka

Post by meowreka »

Fact that drakes can fly over deep water makes it impossible to have a beautiful river in the middle of a map.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Like Wylden Channel?
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Do you mean a second layer terrain?

Storm clouds 8)
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Gambit wrote:Do you mean a second layer terrain?

Storm clouds 8)
Good idea. That would be an interesting anti-flier overlay.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

But why stop there? If that were added, the next thing would be a variant of "impassable mountains" that flightless units could never cross, but flying ones can as long as there aren't storm clouds...
I will now resume lurking silently.
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

StandYourGround wrote:But why stop there? ...
Maybe to KISS.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, there isn't a "flying" field on unit definition or something similar to differentiate normal from flying units (there one that affects animation though).

Flying units are the ones that happen to have some specific movement costs and animation to show that they fly.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

I realize you hate Drakes, meowreka, but also consider how this would affect the other factions with flying units: Knalgans and Undead. Flying units are supposed to be more maneuverable, and balance generally requires that they are. Creating sections of terrain that walking units can get through faster than flying units would turn certain balance bits on their heads. Drakes would not be able to escape from the undead at night or catch them at day. Undead would lose their only fast ZoC in these areas, and their scouts would become less useful, with no land-based alternative. Knalgans would have a very expensive unit weakened significantly. Based on your ideas of map balance in the threads discussing your maps, I don't expect any of this to bother you, though.

Drakes do not actually win over water. They, in fact, are terrible over water. Mermen, nagas, and gryphons will slaughter them. Even bats and ghosts will do alright. As for lava, chasm, etc, you shouldn't be using large quantities of those. If you want to make the map have impassible sections, use cave wall or impassible mountains. If you want to slow units down, use mushroom groves and frozen.

I could see the original idea being useful for campaigns involving flying units, though. Not that there are many of those :roll:
Max

Post by Max »

Caphriel wrote:Creating sections of terrain that walking units can get through faster than flying units would turn certain balance bits on their heads.
does it make sense to blame new terrain? wouldn't it be the map that isn't balanced then?
Yoyobuae wrote:Also, if I'm not mistaken, there isn't a "flying" field on unit definition or something similar to differentiate normal from flying units (there one that affects animation though).
i guess you would have to add clouds as new terrain (worst movement / best defense?)