1v1 multiplayer map

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Hellrider

1v1 multiplayer map

Post by Hellrider »

Long time since i last posted here, let's try to make it worth it at least :)

I decided to give a shot at the map editor and i came out with this map..
Any balance change, critic, suggestion is welcome. Have fun!

Edit1: updated map after Doc's suggestions
Edit2: a few more improvements after some mp games
Edit3: posted "final" release
Edit4: a few minor gameplay changes and a few visual differences to make the map more "unique" ;)
Edit5: back to the original impassable mountains
Edit6: some final fixes before map contest deadline
Attachments
2p-Butterfly_Island.zip
(2.13 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
2p_butterfly_island.jpg
Last edited by Hellrider on November 29th, 2009, 7:34 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Re: 1v1 multiplayer map

Post by Doc Paterson »

I think this one is pretty decent, though I'd worry about it getting stalematish and/or favoring the defender. You might want to try lengthening it to open up the north and south a little. Also, there are several factional matchups in which P1 can steal two of P2s villages. That should be easy to fix.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
mabeenot

Post by mabeenot »

I really like this map.

In response to Doc Paterson's concerns about a stalemate, what if you added a keep and single castle tile to give each player an offensive springboard on one side or the other?

Also, instead of opening the top and bottom by making the map taller, maybe you could just remove the clouds from the lonely mountain on the northern and southern islands.
Last edited by mabeenot on October 13th, 2009, 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hellrider

Post by Hellrider »

Thanks for your suggestions, i edited the map (and the first post, with latest changes)) making it a big lengthier. You were right, i didn't take in consideration quick gryphons/bats at turn 3, but that should be fixed now.. I also made some minor fixes to reflect my original idea: each player is supposed to have a stronger side (more villages, better terrain) and a weak side (farther healing spots, less terrain to defend) in order to make the map more dynamic (leaders are supposed to be used a lot here). I also removed some terrain next to villages making them more "open" and less easier to defend (i did not consider the "inner" villages near main keep because if enemy gets there, the game is obviously already lost)..

Anyway, playing against AI does not give much satisfaction, so if you want to play a game you can contact me on irc..

Of course, i am still open to critics, hints, etc.. ;)
Hellrider

Post by Hellrider »

After some more mp playtesting, i came up with an almost "final" release for this map (that means i am not willing to touch anymore unless something is very wrong with it)..

Added (hopefully) more dynamism to the map with a different village placement and more water for fishes/flying units at both sides. Thanks to all the guys who helped with balancing, have fun :D
grrr

Post by grrr »

well, reminds of hagbart's map, slightly. anyways, I invite you to post this map in the RDM thread =)
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

i just read the threat about map dev - and ur response...may look liek a clone ;) well now that u said it i really thought it was a clone but of c ill check it out nevertheless.

criticism coming.. ;)
Hellrider

Post by Hellrider »

It is funny because i really didn't know about that map; after all i don't play so many 1v1 so i have not yet tried grrr's mod.

Still i think my map looks better :P (you can't expect a different answer from the author ;) )

Jokes apart, after a closer look at Hagbart's map the only things that i see common to both maps are the initial keeps separated by impassable mountains and a few forward castle.
For the rest my map is smaller, has more water, a few different terrain and most of all a different gameplay :)

Still waiting for balancing hints :P
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

bbbbbbtw if that is the ONLY thing that u share, why dont u insert an inpassable terrain that looks like grasland to seperate urs from his ? quetzalcoatl made a map that had this feature.

and this is how it worx:

u place some gras on the map, maybe light green one, like Q did, and then u take the map tools "I" letter and make this terrain UNPASSABLE. he did it like that: green patch of gras (unpassable), forest (unpassable) and again light green gras (unpassable) then u make a kind of section of the map where u prohbit movement.

i show u how its done with a screenshot
Attachments
unpassable.JPG
Hellrider

Post by Hellrider »

Thanks to Rigor for his tips about the visual aspects of the map; the first post is updated with the latest version of the map
mabeenot

Post by mabeenot »

Rigor wrote:bbbbbbtw if that is the ONLY thing that u share, why dont u insert an inpassable terrain that looks like grasland to seperate urs from his ?
.....Why on earth would he want to make an otherwise normal-looking patch of grass impassible? I'm hoping this was supposed to be a humorous quip and I'm just not understanding it...
Hellrider

Post by Hellrider »

mabeenot wrote:
Rigor wrote:bbbbbbtw if that is the ONLY thing that u share, why dont u insert an inpassable terrain that looks like grasland to seperate urs from his ?
.....Why on earth would he want to make an otherwise normal-looking patch of grass impassible? I'm hoping this was supposed to be a humorous quip and I'm just not understanding it...
He was referring to this map. I realized from other people comments that my map could look similar to that one even though i think it plays differently (for what i played against AI).
Anyway since it is just a matter of graphics i switched some of those impassable mountains with similar terrain to make it look different ;)
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

you can address me directly mabeenot :)

the thing is, you should really try to take one or two different terrain patches which signalize the unpassability because right now nobody knows where the unpassable terrain begins and where it ends.

maybe i will try myself to modify ur map and ill show u what i mean. good luck with ur further editing !
mabeenot

Post by mabeenot »

Hellrider wrote:He was referring to this map. I realized from other people comments that my map could look similar to that one even though i think it plays differently (for what i played against AI).
If you're referring to Hagbart's "Eye of Tath," I think your original map was plenty unique. Just because players start in central keeps separated by mountains doesn't mean they're copies or clones of one another. Besides, your mountains were in a different shape, the two starting positions were oriented differently, and the rest of the map looked nothing like Hagbart's map. Some similarities between maps just happen and it's not a bad thing.
Rigor wrote:the thing is, you should really try to take one or two different terrain patches which signalize the unpassability because right now nobody knows where the unpassable terrain begins and where it ends.
Rigor, this is exactly the reason I couldn't understand your previous post. You were suggesting he make terrain impassible that is normally passable. How would someone playing this map for the first time know that you can't go straight to your opponent's castle when they're just separated by hills and water? At least with the clouded mountains, players know where the impassible terrain is located so they can go around it.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

mabeenot wrote:Rigor, this is exactly the reason I couldn't understand your previous post. You were suggesting he make terrain impassible that is normally passable. How would someone playing this map for the first time know that you can't go straight to your opponent's castle when they're just separated by hills and water? At least with the clouded mountains, players know where the impassible terrain is located so they can go around it.
I agree. It is very annoying, especially if used on something that is passable elsewhere on the same map such as grassland. Making something like lava or chasms impassable is a little more understandable. It would be extremely bothersome for a player to have to mouse-over or check the minimap to know where to go.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]