2v2 - Twisted Outpost

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sapient
Inactive Developer

2v2 - Twisted Outpost

Post by Sapient »

I can't take credit for this map. It was designed by "Jelly the Mad Dog".
But, it seemed like such a fun concept that I decided to clean it up a little and share it.
Sides are 1221.

I figured out why some people were crashing and I replaced the "dark path" with "dirt" so it should be fixed now.

Feedback for further improvements is welcome.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
tsr

Re: 2v2 - Twisted Outpost

Post by tsr »

It is a fun map!

I see that you got rid of the center village (in the original there was a village in the center hex that is now a deep-water). Maybe another solution would be to give p4 1-2 of her/his villages in a prestart event. I found while playing this map that the center village creates a nice dynamic in the center, maybe it is there without it too...

/tsr
Jelly_the_Mad_Dog

Post by Jelly_the_Mad_Dog »

yep my water house is missing, some of the players didnt like it, but i think it makes the game more interesting ;p game aint concentrate on that house
http://pl.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1z19pig&s=4
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

So I can get it printed on a trucker-hat for 17 dollars? Not bad. :) The skateboard option is pretty tempting though...

(By the way, Sapient, how did you manage that very-dark-brown color? As far as I know, that's not in the current editor.)
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Jelly_the_Mad_Dog

Post by Jelly_the_Mad_Dog »

hehe
i had problem with upload
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

That is "dark path" (Dp) and it must be from some UMC because it was causing everyone who joined my map to crash out.
I agree it looks awesome, though. The dirt terrain looks too light in comparison. It should be added to the official terrains, although "Dp" should not be used since D is for desert.

Jelly, tsr -- the removal of the central village was deliberate. let me enumerate my changes:

1. removed center village.
reason: midpoint village is an unfair advantage (no matter how slight) to the side best positioned to reach it first.
also, I felt the map already has plenty of income -- maybe even too much.

2. changed mountain adjacent to village, replaced with hill
reason: to prevent Knalgan advantage in this area

3. rearranged 1 tile of deep water in the southwest pond
reason: allow more opportunities for "submerge" -- same as in the northeast pond

4. minor aesthetic changes
reason: tried to convey a more natural and realistic environment
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Sapient wrote:That is "dark path" (Dp) and it must be from some UMC because it was causing everyone who joined my map to crash out.
I agree it looks awesome, though. The dirt terrain looks too light in comparison. It should be added to the official terrains, although "Dp" should not be used since D is for desert.
It looks almost like soil...

Though yes, more flat terrains is always a good thing because I personally find regular flat (grassland) the most boring terrain to look at and don't like maps that use it too much.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Aethaeryn wrote:
Sapient wrote:That is "dark path" (Dp) and it must be from some UMC because it was causing everyone who joined my map to crash out.
It looks almost like soil...

Though yes, more flat terrains is always a good thing because I personally find regular flat (grassland) the most boring terrain to look at and don't like maps that use it too much.
Seconded. I've been hoping that dark path would get added to the official terrains as well, and requested it long ago (when it first appeared), but no luck as of yet. I'd absolutely LOVE to use it on the default maps.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
without your noses.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Isn't that the interior terrain for the Orcish encampment? It would be nice to have it available as a flatland texture for use as wet dirt or fertile soil.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Sangel wrote:Isn't that the interior terrain for the Orcish encampment? It would be nice to have it available as a flatland texture for use as wet dirt or fertile soil.
I don't think it is that one, though it looks a lot like it from a distance, because the bricks of the dark path are out of focus in Sapient's picture. Would be great to have that one as well as a usable flat alias though.

I'm not sure exactly who would have authority over that sort of thing. Dark Path is the one that I really crave. :)
without your noses.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Doc Paterson wrote:I don't think it is that one, though it looks a lot like it from a distance, because the bricks of the dark path are out of focus in Sapient's picture. Would be great to have that one as well as a usable flat alias though.

I'm not sure exactly who would have authority over that sort of thing. Dark Path is the one that I really crave. :)
I'm sure Jetrel would be receptive to the idea - maybe you should shoot him a private message with suggested inclusions?
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Update:
Some weakness with Rebels v. Knalgans was observed.
I've removed some forest+hill in the center and replaced it with forest.
Added some more forest on the west and east.
Since the income was a bit excessive, I also trimmed out two villages that were insignificant freebies.

Also, I found that some of the distances from to the swamp vill and desert vill in the northeast weren't fair when compared to the situation in the southwest (too advantageous for P1+P4 team). So I evened out those distances.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Update:
-I discovered that I had accidentally left one extra keep hex during my last revision, so I removed that.
-I couldn't even out the desert mountains in the corners to be completely fair, and they were mostly for looks, so I changed them to impassible.
-due to the nature of the map, where the leaders are located a very short distance from each other on turn 1, fog was giving too much of a sight advantage to 6 mp leaders. There was no way around this problem other than removing the fog as the default setting, and although I was a bit reluctant to do it at first, the reality is that fog plays almost no role on this map after the opening turns but those were precisely the turns where it was causing problems.

Edit: here's a replay from v1.7.9, if needed
Attachments
4p_-_Twisted_Outpost_replay.gz
Replay from v1.7.9
(13.54 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
4p_Twisted_Outpost.zip
(16.37 KiB) Downloaded 248 times