The Fall of Wesnoth Campaign version 0.0.12 released

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Huston

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth Campaign version 0.0.8

Post by Huston »

The fix for the illegal character in the map 'Dw' i have just released. i have found a bug with scenario 4 reloading save games please be patient while i fix it.
i believe the Dw thing is what caused your problem too photon.
coded Rebellion During the Dark Age
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
PhotonX

Post by PhotonX »

Yes, the update fixed my problem, thanks! :)

edit: In the next scenario, after the conversation with the dwarf leader the scenario does not end (and the next one isn't loaded)!
bvanevery

Post by bvanevery »

Yep, "Breaking the Siege" does not end, even though I defeated the leaders and had the conversation. Wesnoth 1.7.4, Fall of Wesnoth 0.0.9d.
To Lands Unknown, an Arabesque adventure of stunning background art, mobile summoning, and strong storytelling.
Huston

Post by Huston »

oops but if it any consolation the next scenaro isn't out yet.
Huston

Post by Huston »

Scenario 6 is out on the 1.6 add-on server it will be released on the 1.7 add-on server after my version of it has finished updating to Wesnoth 1.7.5. expect balance issues with scenario 6. in addition to adding scenario 6 i redid music selections for scenarios 1,4,and 5 , but because of this 2 new music depends were added(sorry). i have also given the orcs in scenario 1 a little more gold to work with so they can get a full recruit(i hope) on the first turn.

EDIT: now released on 1.7 add-on server
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
PhotonX

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth Campaign version 0.0.12 released

Post by PhotonX »

I noticed that in the two last scenarios the orcish crossbowmen behave strangely: They attack my mages via ranged attack but my swordsmen via melee attack...
Huston

Post by Huston »

hmmm. they must be stupid :P . i'll have to fix them.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Not the first time I've seen the Wesnoth AI do stupid things...

I guess this is proof of suicidal orcs.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Max

Post by Max »

PhotonX wrote:I noticed that in the two last scenarios the orcish crossbowmen behave strangely: They attack my mages via ranged attack but my swordsmen via melee attack...
the first one might be a sensible thing to do since they deal twice the damage with ranged attack. the latter sounds rather like a bug^^ what version are you playing with?
PhotonX

Post by PhotonX »

1.7.2 But I haven't seen this bug on other campaigns (but maybe just overlooked it).
docrock

Post by docrock »

hi again, played current version on BfW 1.7.6, default difficulty.
i could not find any bugs so far and i like the concept. but balancing is far out.

-"And so it begins": good idea, medium difficulty fighting the orcs off if you do it right from the start. send quick units to grab all villages including those in the middle of the ford and spam 2-3 peasants a turn at them which hold the islands and only attack melee units with their ranged fork and else just defend and hurt orcs in the water.

-"Executing the plan": again, good idea. but all the orcs do come to attack at the beginning of the scenario. if you can stand that initial assault you wont meet any more orcs during the scenario, can finish very early and get tons of gold from the villages. maybe it would be better to not just throw all the orcs from scenario start on at once but instead spawning a few of them like every 2 turns at the north edge of the map so that they come in kind of waves and maybe repeat this like 5 times or so.

-"Breaking a Siege": similar to above, the orcs recruit once, start an assault at the player and the dwarfes, get beaten up badly in water and on ice, after that it reduces itself to kill-the-leaders. they really could use reinforcements. like say maybe 300 gold at turn 10 divided equally between the surviving orc leaders. would add some flavour. the way it is they are dead meat by turn 13-14 which again does give piles of gold making the next scenario a farce.

-"Fighting the orcish host": this time the orcs don't even get a chance for an initial attack. i started with about 1000 gold, recalled and recruited for about 500, was still in positive income and just plainly flattened them. by turn 14 everything was over and i would have taken 1700+ gold to the next scenario.
Last edited by docrock on October 8th, 2009, 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
Huston

Post by Huston »

wow. i didn't realize it was so out of balance. will upload a (hopefully) more balanced version sometime after 7:30 pm Eastern time
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Yeah, from a story/writing point of view scenario 6 should be a hard fight. Its supposed to be the player against the main orcish army.

Then again, its supposed to be a medium difficulty campaign, so if you're playing it on easy and you're a good player, it might seem easier to you than it really is, docrock. I'm sure you're aware of this, however, so I'm not going to really question your assessment.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Huston

Post by Huston »

updated version that is hopefully more balanced now available on 1.7's server. i will hopefully get a chance to finish coding the next couple scenarios within the week.
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
docrock

Post by docrock »

then again, its supposed to be a medium difficulty campaign, so if you're playing it on easy and you're a good player, it might seem easier to you than it really is
ah, didn't play on easy (i never do, spoils the fun). default difficulty is medium. medium on a medium campaign should result in overall medium imho. another thing, it was not too easy, contrary, the initital assaults could be pretty harsh, it was mainly the lack of enemies afterwards that made me think. i well know that balancing is the hardest thing to do on a campaign and therefore especially feedback concerning gold-carryover is important to our valued umc developers :D
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)