Wesnoth 1.7.6

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Wesnoth 1.7.6

Post by ivanovic »

Wesnoth 1.7.6 is out!

This is the seventh release of the 1.7.x development branch. That means it may include a bigger amount of bugs than the 1.6.x branch and each version is not compatible with another one from the 1.6.x and 1.7.x branch since we do change quite a lot between the releases. Keep in mind, it might be a lot more buggy than the 1.6.x branch so don't be disappointed if you get a crash every now and then. "Normal" players should not use this release, you should stay with the stable branch. But if you want to test the future of Wesnoth and help us find bugs early, you are welcome to check out 1.7.6.

Even though there is no beta tag or anything like this attached to this release yet, it is the start of the feature freeze for 1.8. So what is in this release will be the stuff you will get in 1.8 (minus some/many bugs). That is the new multiplayer lobby will most likely be available in 1.8 by default, too, though it is not enabled by default yet due to a possible crash when resizing. Once this is fixed, the new multiplayer lobby will be enabled by default. Translators should note that we are now in string freeze to prepare for 1.8. This means that the strings should be stable and no changes are planned there.

In general this is just a normal development release with many updated graphics, several fixed bugs and some added features. There is not too much that I can explicitly tell that makes this release special beside that is should basically be feature complete now (as I already wrote above...).

Some other important things to mention:
A new option was added to choose whether or not to interupt unit movement when an ally unit is sighted
The add-ons download interface now has a method for viewing the add-ons' descriptions. They are, naturally, untranslated.

Of course there is also the full changelog listing (almost) all the changes since 1.7.5. A changelog with changes that might be visible to most users (and only includes these) is the players changelog.

Downloads
Sources:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... 2/download (256.7 MB) md5sum
Here is the xDelta for the sources:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... a/download (1.7.5 to 1.7.6, 9.9 MB)
Check http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7034 for info on using xdelta.

The Windows package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

The MacOSX package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

Many of the Linux packages have already been created. All known packagers have been contacted. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to get them work you get on the Linux binaries site for the Linux binaries. Download links for the other supported systems will be listed at the downloads page once the binaries are available.

As a fallback you can also get the sources from http://files.wesnoth.org/ - you should first try to get files through SourceForge to help us save bandwidth. Please get the files from sourceforge.net if possible.

The multiplayer server for 1.7.6 is already up and running. This server can only be used to play with 1.7.6. If you do encounter problems, please report them.

A new add-on server for the new development branch was started, too. If you encounter any problems with content from the add-on server not working as expected, please notify the content's author, most of them should be here in the forums.

If you find any bugs don't hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to post bugs first. Instructions for bug reporting can be found at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/ReportingBugs.

Enjoy!

PS: Within the next seven days anyone asking when the binary for xyz will be ready will be banned and the post will be deleted. Such questions just distract the developers and packagers and don't do any good, so better not ask them...
Bugreports in the forums tend to get forgotten. You will get better results by following the guidelines and report them in the bugtracker.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Wesnoth 1.7.6

Post by thespaceinvader »

Before anyone asks: yes, the new Drakes constant flight is annoying. Yes, we're going to fix it. Please bear with us, we're very busy with real life, and will be working on it over the next couple of days.

And by we, I mean me.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

the md5sum isnt on the main download page yet.
[edit]ah i just saw it in the announcement here
[edit2]ok i fixed that. forgot i had a wiki account :P

while we're on the subject, can we switch to an sha-2 hash?
it is possible to generate two files with the same md5 sum.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

tr0ll wrote:while we're on the subject, can we switch to an sha-2 hash?
it is possible to generate two files with the same md5 sum.
  • The MD5 sum is there to detect corruptions on downloading (which they still do), not to prevent attackers substituting a bogus file. (If so, they could also change the wiki entry with the MD5sum.)
  • To create two files with same MD5, you usually have to adapt both of them (with current collision finding technics, as I understand). So, the attackers would be inside the release team. And when you are there, no point in generating two files, if one bogus one is sufficent.
    (I'm not sure you can generate two files with identical MD5, which still are valid .tar.bz2 files ... but maybe it is easy, though.)
This is not to argument that we should not switch, but to say it is not really urgent.

Paŭlo
GoJoe

Post by GoJoe »

Hello,

I've been playing 1.7.6 for few days now. I'm not sure whether it is a bug, but I mention it anyway. In the scenario "Infested Caves" no dwarfs appear. I battled all skeletons up to the point where the dwarfs are located but I couldn't find any.

I'm not sure whether it could happen that the black skeletons are able to beat the dwarfs. If it is the case it might be advisable to adjust game logic, if not, it might be a bug.

Best GoJoe
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

GoJoe wrote:I'm not sure whether it could happen that the black skeletons are able to beat the dwarfs.
If you post a savegame we could find out...
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
GoJoe

Post by GoJoe »

Hello,

The fault was with me. I played the scenario with 1.7.6 three times. In one case I killed the black skeleton king before time ran out. I was at coordinate 28,28 when time ran out. Because of the fact that I was surrounded by black skeletons I figured that they managed to kill the dwarfs. In the two other cases I fought till coordinate 37,21 (half way between brown trolls and black skeletons) and was confronted with quite the same situation.

But my assumption was erroneous. As you advised I learned how to access and read the savegame files which showed that the dwarfs were alive but locked closely to their starting position. So everything does work correctly.

Nevertheless there is a bit of confusion left. I played this campain and specifically this scenario many times before with earlier versions (1.3.x and 1.5.x if I remember correctly). And always (about four or five times) did the dwarfs manage to beat the black skeletons and showed up between turn 25 and turn 35 or maybe 40 at the castle of the brown troll. I was a bit confused that this doesn't happen anymore.

There were changes in this scenario during the last few months? I must admit that this scenario is my favourite one. So I'm quite curious about balancing and changes in the map. Although one is still able to manage the map it became more difficult now because you have to keep of blue and green, survive white and orange and kill brown and black before being able to enter the realm of the dwarfs - that's quite a task. I played middle and hard - not nightmare.

So sorry for the buss. And I would be thankful for an answer.

Best Jörg
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

GoJoe wrote: Nevertheless there is a bit of confusion left. I played this campain and specifically this scenario many times before with earlier versions (1.3.x and 1.5.x if I remember correctly). And always (about four or five times) did the dwarfs manage to beat the black skeletons and showed up between turn 25 and turn 35 or maybe 40 at the castle of the brown troll. I was a bit confused that this doesn't happen anymore.
From my experience you've been lucky then. I've only played it on nightmare though. Nothing was changed in that scenario for a long time except that the dwarf is able to recruit scouts now. You could try reverting that since that might have weakened the dwarf against skeletons and see how it goes.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Soliton wrote:
GoJoe wrote: Nevertheless there is a bit of confusion left. I played this campain and specifically this scenario many times before with earlier versions (1.3.x and 1.5.x if I remember correctly). And always (about four or five times) did the dwarfs manage to beat the black skeletons and showed up between turn 25 and turn 35 or maybe 40 at the castle of the brown troll. I was a bit confused that this doesn't happen anymore.
From my experience you've been lucky then. I've only played it on nightmare though. Nothing was changed in that scenario for a long time except that the dwarf is able to recruit scouts now. You could try reverting that since that might have weakened the dwarf against skeletons and see how it goes.
Same here, I usually found the dwarves and black undead in a stalemate at the closest village to the west of the undead keep. And I played that scenario a lot!

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
GoJoe

Post by GoJoe »

Hello,

I played the scenario three more times. This time the dwarfes managed to beat the black skeleton twice. One time they couldn't escape. I played it first on middle and once a pseudo nightmare (I gave all parties their nightmare starting money but left the round limit unchanged - the point was to see whether the dwarfes could handle the skeletons on nightmare as well).

As you can see from the save games, the dwarfes killed the black skeleton both times around mid game. So my suspicion was correct though it seems to happen pretty randomly. I don't know if this ought to be harmonised. May be it just adds a little moment of surprise ;). Nevertheless without the dwarfes beating the skeleton the scenario gets even harder.

But I like it :)

So thank you for your time.

GoJoe

PS The savegames:

Middle: http://www.mar-x-kant.de/Spiel2Mitte.gz
Pseudo-Nightmare Mid-game: http://www.mar-x-kant.de/Spiel1MitteSchwarzTod.gz
Pseudo-Nightmare End-game: http://www.mar-x-kant.de/Spiel1WeiterZwergebeiBraun.gz