3P Campaign: The Haunted Woods v1.7.0 [Complete]

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MrEPIC

3P Campaign: The Haunted Woods v1.7.0 [Complete]

Post by MrEPIC »

Hello everyone!
This 3-player multiplayer campaign outlines the adventures of Fioril, Aigatus, and Carridry, journeying to the Grey Forest, meeting new friends and encountering new foes along the way.
Features include comprehensive potions and enhancement shops and 'Give Gold' and 'Give Unit' menu systems to encourage cooperative play. Every unit that can be recruited has some sort of special enhancement they (and maybe just a few others) can buy.

Please download, test, and post feedback.

The latest version is v1.7.0 for Wesnoth 1.12 and v1.6.19 for Wesnoth 1.10, containing all planned scenarios.
Have fun!
Last edited by MrEPIC on December 8th, 2014, 3:58 pm, edited 81 times in total.
3 player co-op campaign: The Haunted Woods (v1.6.19)
1v1 campaign: Tug of War (v0.4.0)
MrEPIC

Changelog

Post by MrEPIC »

v0.0.3
+changed shop pricings
+made scenario 2 more difficult
+3rd scenario added

v0.4.1
+new versioning system
(the old one was inconvenient since I often released several fixes to my scenarios before a new one was released, and they would keep the same version.)
+decreased turns in scenario 2
+increased enemy gold in scenario 3
+fixed sighted event in scenario 3
+4th scenario added

v0.5.1
+increased turns in scenario 3
+increased turns in scenario 2
+increased ally gold in scenario 3
+5th scenario added

v0.6.1
+decreased turns in scenario 3
+6th scenario added

v0.6.2
+lets Fioril recruit Woses after victory on scenario 2, so he has an impact attack against skeletons
+made "upgrade my bow" only upgrade Fioril's bow

v0.7.1
+New Feature! You can now share gold between the three adventurers by right-clicking on your leader and selecting "Give gold"
+7th scenario added
+Many small changes to balance scenarios 4 and 5

v0.8.4a
+New Shop! There's a new shop that lets you exchange between experience points and gold!
+New Shop Items! With new abilities added such as initiative and mind flay, there are of course also new shop items!
+8th scenario added! Only 1 of the 3 planned scenario 8 options.
+Major dialogue changes to several scenarios
+Several fixes to scenario 7
+Finally fixed Cariddry and Aigatus's descriptions
+Made Aigatus have more base health, and made him have 5 movement points so he woudn't automatically get the "quick" trait

v0.8.6a
+New Feature! You can now share units between the three adventurers by right-clicking on your leader and selecting "Give a Unit," then right-clicking on the unit you want to give and selecting "Give this unit"
+If you didn't have enough money when you were shopping, the message informing you of it was displayed to all players and everyone had to click, a minor inconvenience. That's fixed now.
+When you were finished shopping, the message that was displayed was also displayed to all players, like above. That has also been fixed

v0.8.7a
+The "give a unit" feature was really broken in the last version, so that was fixed
+The illumination aura for Cariddry was also messed up, so I basically removed it
+Made the "please come back again message" larger

v1.0.15:
+A LOT of new shop items
+Scenarios 8b, 8c 9a, 9b, and 10 added
+Now players without the addon can enjoy the campaign due to removal of the custom units
+Shops now have labels on them
+The Elvish Heroes were removed in the first scenario, as that was reported to be causing lag on older systems
+The xp-gold convert shop and Give Gold menu were changed to a text-input interface
+Small balancing changes to some maps
+Difficulty adjustments

v1.1.6
+Scenario 11 added
+Potion Shop and potion system added
+Give potion menu added

v1.1.7
+Difficulty system added, basically adds or subtracts gold from you and your enemies based upon difficulty

v1.2.1
+Scenario 12 added
+Small fixes here and there

v1.2.6
+Difficulty pictures changed
+All shop items have pictures now
+Cariddry's buggy initiative shop item has been replaced with 'superb swordsman' shop item
+Fioril gets a new magic resistance shop item
+New 'confuse' shop item
+Thunderstick, hammer prices dropped

v1.2.7
+A suggestion was implemented for scenario 4's bats to be changed to corpse bats. I did this, but now whenever a corpse is recruited, it is switched randomly between its variations

v1.2.8
+Several difficulty suggestions have been implemented, mostly dealing with scenario 4

v1.2.9
+More difficulty modifications

v1.2.10
+Major changes to the map of Attack on Carcyn, and many more map changes will soon follow (thanks jb!)
+Difficulty Adjustments
+Made scenario 1 faster, by giving you 100 temporary movepoints
+Renames your heroes at the start to Fioril, Aigatus, and Cariddry. However, they can still be manually renamed by the player

v1.2.11
+Map changes to maps of Entering the Grey Woods, Grey Swamp, and River of Undead (increase of water, hills, grassland, dirt)
+Made enemies on these scenarios start with more gold, to reflect the decreased difficulty of the maps

v1.2.13
+The heroes now receive traits (only if you start from part 1, part 2 is the same as before) and the modifications are applied before the scenario begins, instead of after moving
+In the first level, you now get the temporary movement boost after every move you make
+In the second level, all of the center villages are inhabited, and a random inhabitant (Peasant, Woodsman, or Ruffian) appears when an orc or skeleton moves into the village
+More map changes

+Many map changes
+Fixed a game-breaking bug on scenario 9
+Changes to all part 2 scenarios
+New branch: 12b_Pest_Control!

v1.2.22
+More map changes (thanks again, jb)
+Enhancement shop upgrade limit: 8 upgrades max
+Leaders can get 10 max upgrades
+In view of this limitation, leader experience requirements have been dropped down to regular levels
+In the development version (1.8 beta), dwarvish scouts have been added

v1.2.23
+Leader experience requirements reset at 5000...

v1.2.24
+New "smart" and flexible difficulty adjustment system, which can be called into each scenario individually
+Automatically determines the teams and applies the gold and turn changes for each difficulty level
+Difficulty selection screen is slightly more descriptive

v1.2.25
+Changes to dialogue
+Minor map changes
+Campaign is now playable with 1 or 2 players.

v1.3.0
+Changes to dialogue
+Scenario 13 added as well as scenario 12aa
+Scenario 12a was planned to kill your recall list if you went on a boat without killing all of the enemies, but I am not sure how to only kill the recall list and not the people on the battlefield. If you know a way, please tell me!
+Confuse shop item removed, didn't make sense and was useless

v1.3.1
+Cariddry's blessed ability now only weakens undead by 35% (instead of original 50%)
+Cariddry's blessed ability does not weaken Walking Corpses, Soullesses, Ghouls, or Necrophages
+Aigatus's shield has 50% blade resistance
+Cariddry's armor does not give fire and cold resistance anymore
+All shop items have a description (may need to scroll to the right to see it)
+Decreased turns limit of scenarios on master difficulty by 1

v1.3.2
+Small map changes to The Grey River to better reflect what they say
+Fixed a bug in the hunts ability
+Aigatus (dwarf, player 2) now begins as a Dwarvish Stalwart, instead of a Sentinel, because I find the purple experience number hard to read

v1.3.3
+Help messages added to first scenario to explain the differences between this campaign and other campaigns
+These include the four types of shops, give unit, give gold, and the schedule of the grey forest

v1.4.0
+At the start of scenario 11, a bug is fixed that made a copy of Aigatus
+The "hunts" ability causing OOS should be fixed
+Scenario 14 added
+Difficulty changes (lowered default master difficulty turn limit by 1, gave scenario 13 a turn limit, changed starting gold on Ford of Abez scenarios)
+Scenario 9 map changed
+Gold xp shop now buys experience for 1 gold and sells it for 2

v1.4.1
+Difficulty selection portraits removed
+Give unit tax removed
+Pickpocket description fixed
+Movement and attacks of given units are not reset until a new turn

v1.4.2
+When a leader dies and there are other units present on that side, then the leader status is automatically transferred over to one of the units, allowing people to continue even if their leader dies.
+Fixed scenario objectives
Known issue: Units in a village that are given receive healing again.

v1.4.3
+Fixed several spelling errors
+Fixed description of pickpocket
+Changed sighted event in scenario 7 to a moveto,recruit,recall event with a filter_vision tag

v1.4.4
+Fixed a bug that caused some versions to crash in scenario 5
+Ship on scenario 2 should no longer go over a mountain

v1.5.0
+Scenario 15 added
+Campaign is now complete!
+In scenario 12, all units on the recall list are killed if the adventurers decide to take the boat
+Fixed conversation in scenario 14
+Fixed gold carryover in scenario 13
+Shop labels are now persistent

v1.5.1
+Give potion menu has fixed Lieutenant icon
+Changed first scenario title to "The Haunted Woods"
+Small change to the help menu information of the Gold-XP shop
+Changed description of "Blessed" ability
+Other small fixes
+Ported directly to 1.8, should support 1.8 beta 7, both 1.6 and 1.8 now have the same versions

v1.5.2
+Fixed several game-stopper bugs in 1.8
+All development starting with this update will be focused on the 1.8 branch

v1.6.0 (only for 1.8beta)
+Made gold carryover consistent
+Added conclusion and credits story-only scenario
+Improved dialogue
+Fixed gold per village
+Dark sorcerer in the Grey Swamp scenario can recruit a few blood bats
+Give unit, give gold, and give potion menus are shut off if there are less than 3 players playing
+All loyal units have a loyal overlay, besides loyal story-crucial units, which are marked by the hero overlay
+Removed deprecated keys (colour_lock, unit_description, continue)
+Removed custom modify unit macros
+Many maps have more varied villages, including the new 1.8 villages
+The movement of the adventurers is now tracked on the map of Wesnoth

v1.6.1 (only for 1.8beta)
+Updated knockback special (credit to zookeeper)
+Fixed color of damage numbers inflicted by Carcyn villagers
+Gold carryover is now noted in objectives at the start of each scenario
+Changed dwarf leader position in scenario 7

v1.6.2
+Version number label is automatically cleared at the start of turn 2
+There's an experience penalty for playing on the harder difficulties (20% more required xp for champion and 40% more on master)
+Scenario 1 automatically ends after 5 turns
+Scenario 10 automatically ends after 10 turns
+Leaders are now unstored at the start of each scenario, that may have played a part of the issues mentioned in the last few posts of page 4
+Fix to the gold-xp shop, the buy experience option now shows the correct gold amount
+When the light sword is bought from the leader-only shop by player 3, the unit obtains the illuminates halo

v1.6.3
+Except for the removal of abilities, the leaders are the same as their normal counterparts
+Leader-only shop has been removed, some upgrades were moved to the exclusive wares section of the enhancements shop
+For each of these upgrades, either the power has been reduced or the price has been increased
+Give gold, give unit, give potion menus now icons which are updated if the unit they represent is changed (for example leader dies or leader advances)
+The strengthen ranged attack and strengthen melee attack upgrades originally gave +2 damage at the price of 20 coins. Now it is +1 damage for 10 coins.
+Regular units can buy 6 upgrades, leaders can buy 8
+When a unit levels up, it can buy another upgrade

v.1.6.4
+Changed the avenger attack animation in the cutscene at the start of the first scenario
+Effects of 'increase melee power' and 'increase ranged power' now accurately reflect their descriptions

v1.6.5
+POT substantially updated, now ready for translation (more than 75% complete)
+Contact me by PM or post in this forum if you would like to help translate (all languages welcome!)

v1.6.6
+Cariddry no longer loses his illuminates aura if he levels up after buying the ability
+Colors given to the difficulty selection message
+"Suicide" difficulty renamed to "Challenging"
+Any campaign-critical units controlled by the AI will try to reach that side's leader
+AI is no longer stuck on the escape to the caves scenario
+Escape to the caves scenario no longer is unbeatable for less than 3 players
+The shops are no longer activated by an AI controlling sides 1,2, or 3
+Experience modifiers for the harder difficulties have been slightly lowered

v1.6.7
+Fixed a bug that caused OOS in the shops
+Fixed a bug that caused paths to be set for campaign-critical units even when controlled by a human
+Strength potion deactivated on a new turn, not by movement
+AI is able to advance through escape to the caves, path to knalga, and leaving knalga

v1.6.8
+Increased starting gold for players when there are less than 3 total players

v1.6.9
+Fixed a bug that caused the shops to not always update gold amount

v1.6.10
+Hopefully the give unit bug has been fixed
+Units cannot be given more than once each turn
+Animations for attacks from the exclusive wares have been fixed
+The entangle sound no longer plays on all of Fioril's ranged attacks

v1.6.11
+Small fix to a typo in the introduction messages
+Approaching Knalga doesn't use the grey schedule anymore
+The dwarves in approaching Knalga only recruit guardsmen and should be more cautious
+Fixed a bug in the gold-xp shop which allowed you to cheat and buy large amounts of xp for very little gold

v1.6.13
+Cariddry's blessed ability weakens non-fearless undead by 15% less
+Regular moves in Path to Knalga can be undone
+Gold carryover changed to mainline standard of 40% plus minimum starting gold

v1.6.14
+Give gold menu changed from text-input to options-based format
+Gold-XP convert shop changed from text-input to options-based format
+Lowered scenario turn limit for Attack on Carcyn and for Entering the Grey Woods
+Fixed exclusive wares shop item image for side 3
+No more bonus completion for any scenarios
+Some more color in the menus

v1.6.15
+Improved give gold interface
+Improved gold-xp exchange interface
+Units can now only sell experience once and buy experience once
+Changed enhancements shop's light beam to something less obstructing
+All potion functions merged into a single menu
+Lowered ally starting gold in entering the grey woods and road to Knalga

v1.6.16
+Changed menu option pictures
+Total number of sides calculated automatically (no effect on gameplay)

v1.6.17
+Fixed bug in scenario 6: Escape to the Caves

v1.6.18
+Leaving Knalga: player 3 leader appears even if there is no player 1

v1.6.19
+Fix spacing in printed messages.
+First scenario moveto signpost event fixed.

v1.7.0
+Port to Wesnoth 1.11
Last edited by MrEPIC on January 9th, 2014, 10:13 pm, edited 66 times in total.
Nikolaj

Re: Multiplayer Campaign: The Haunted Woods

Post by Nikolaj »

I'm playing it right now and can't seem to recall previous heroes. (EDIT: and the same with XP) But I loaded it on my computer with the load button from the opening window of BoW because I'm the only one playing it. Maybe that's the problem? Should I first go into multiplayer and then try it? Incidentally, my brother wanted to play it and tried to download it, but couldn't find it under add-ons, while I know I could. Is it removed?

On the plus side, I think it looks like real fun. 'Lame' jokes etc. all included.
MrEPIC

Post by MrEPIC »

Wow I almost forgot about this thread. Sorry about that :oops:
Anyways, development has not stopped, and part 1 has been completed. Along with that, many bugs have been fixed and the shops now have MANY options for different types of units.
As to your problem Nikolaj, I have loaded the campaign after going into Multiplayer first with no problems. Perhaps you should try that?
I'm also glad for the positive feedback. Keep me posted (I'll check on this thread often from now on.)

Thanks!
MrEPIC

Post by MrEPIC »

It's been more than 2 weeks since the last post, and it's on the second page.
So, just to remind anyone interested that this has not been forgotten and is still being developed, I'm bumping it.
I hope it's ok (mods)...
TooManyToasters

Post by TooManyToasters »

Attack on Carcyn is pretty difficult. A friend and I played this 2-player and just took the dwarf's money and the villages he would have taken, and it took us several tries to actually beat it. The biggest cause of failure was most definitely Fioril dying; I suggest letting her buy some kind of armor upgrade from the leader-only shop like Cariddry can.
Also, making it start at night would help a bit since by the time you can set yourself up at the 2 keeps in the middle, it's nighttime and you're being horrifically violated by chaotic units. This might shift the difficulty too far towards easy, though.
Another thing that irked me was that you have to walk down to the south part of the map to reach the shops in the first scenario. The shops should be next to the starting point.

However, it was a good deal of fun. Some strategic suggestions for anybody else having a tough time:
1. What you want to do is defend as long as possible and put your enemies in a resource drain. If you can hold both keeps, they'll run out of gold soon enough. The orcs' coffers will run dry first, and it's a good idea to try and take some villages from the skellies without them noticing.
2. DEFEND THE MIDDLE KEEP AS HARD AS YOU CAN, because it's sitting on a GOLDMINE of villages and it's the key to the whole scenario.
3. Have Cariddry take the north keep from the start. Build a wall around the castle part and take advantage of the fact that you can recruit on any of the castle tiles. Heavy infantry are great for walling, but throw some mages and fencers in there too.
4. Have Fioril and Aigatus go to the middle. They don't have the advantage of forests and hills/mountains, so combine their strengths and have healers support defensive units.
5. Even if you're going to bench the dwarf like we did, build 2 ulfserkers. They might come in handy.
6. As Fioril, build some healers and give them to your teammates. Walling is important here and you'll want to combine the healing support of the elves with the defensive ability of the humans and dwarves. Remember that the humans in the north have no villages, so healers are very helpful.
7. If you're REALLY REALLY REALLY stuck (you shouldn't be), you can cheat by taking advantage of the Give Unit function. At least figure out how to do that by yourself.
MrEPIC

Post by MrEPIC »

TooManyToasters wrote:Attack on Carcyn is pretty difficult. A friend and I played this 2-player and just took the dwarf's money and the villages he would have taken, and it took us several tries to actually beat it. The biggest cause of failure was most definitely Fioril dying; I suggest letting her buy some kind of armor upgrade from the leader-only shop like Cariddry can.
I agree that she is quite easy to kill, perhaps I should do that.
TooManyToasters wrote: Also, making it start at night would help a bit since by the time you can set yourself up at the 2 keeps in the middle, it's nighttime and you're being horrifically violated by chaotic units. This might shift the difficulty too far towards easy, though.
Yes, I noticed this too, but I think that's what makes this scenario fun. In general, the times I've played it with others, I stay back during the first night and let the orcs and skeletons fight each other out. Holding the line of villages closest to you (don't go to the center keep) with the elves, while the dwarves trudge south towards the undead and the humans cover the northern flank is usually what happens when I play.
TooManyToasters wrote: Another thing that irked me was that you have to walk down to the south part of the map to reach the shops in the first scenario. The shops should be next to the starting point.
I'm sorry about that, but it doesn't take long at all to get down there, since all you're controlling is your leader.
TooManyToasters wrote: However, it was a good deal of fun.
Glad to hear that. :)
TooManyToasters wrote: 1. What you want to do is defend as long as possible and put your enemies in a resource drain. If you can hold both keeps, they'll run out of gold soon enough. The orcs' coffers will run dry first, and it's a good idea to try and take some villages from the skellies without them noticing.
Although holding the center keep will result in a lot of losses, I do agree on your other two points. Often, the skeletons are very slow out of the small forest, and by the time they get out orcs will have arrived, so it is usually not hard to take a couple of their villages.
TooManyToasters wrote: 2. DEFEND THE MIDDLE KEEP AS HARD AS YOU CAN, because it's sitting on a GOLDMINE of villages and it's the key to the whole scenario.
While I agree that the villages are very important, the losses that you take from holding the middle keep generally aren't worth it. Even if the orcs get about half of the center villages, their upkeep ends up being too much, and they run out of gold anyways. And then, at day, you can completely destroy them.
TooManyToasters wrote: 3. Have Cariddry take the north keep from the start. Build a wall around the castle part and take advantage of the fact that you can recruit on any of the castle tiles. Heavy infantry are great for walling, but throw some mages and fencers in there too.
This is a good idea, especially given that Cariddry starts off with 6 movepoints.
TooManyToasters wrote: 4. Have Fioril and Aigatus go to the middle. They don't have the advantage of forests and hills/mountains, so combine their strengths and have healers support defensive units.
Remember that dwarves on castle get 60 defense :)
TooManyToasters wrote: 5. Even if you're going to bench the dwarf like we did, build 2 ulfserkers. They might come in handy.
In my experience, the best amount of ulfserkers is one, since an extra fighter always comes in handy. If you get one, make sure that you send him to the enhancement shop, where he can get bloodlust, making him incredibly powerful. Combine that with some attack and hitpoints upgrades, he will be able to clear out entire lines of enemies, alone.
TooManyToasters wrote: 6. As Fioril, build some healers and give them to your teammates. Walling is important here and you'll want to combine the healing support of the elves with the defensive ability of the humans and dwarves. Remember that the humans in the north have no villages, so healers are very helpful.
Definitely agree.
TooManyToasters wrote: 7. If you're REALLY REALLY REALLY stuck (you shouldn't be), you can cheat by taking advantage of the Give Unit function. At least figure out how to do that by yourself.
Yes, give unit can be used in a very cheap way. However, a new 'give unit tax' has been implemented. The tax is the level of the unit you are about to give *5, so it won't be so easy to do this.

Thanks for your feedback, TooManyToasters. Keep it coming!
Also, version 1.2.6 has been released!
Last edited by MrEPIC on November 16th, 2009, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meowreka

Re: Multiplayer Campaign: The Haunted Woods (v1.2.7)

Post by meowreka »

I was the one who played with good ol' toasters there.

I can't honestly say I've played all that many campaigns, but this is my favorite one thus far at least. It's not overly complex and it's amazingly difficult without being impossible.

We're on the Grey Swamp scenario, and finding it to be just a little too difficult. The ghosts, to be honest, are just far more troublesome than they should be. They render any non-magical unit almost worthless against them, because of their resistances, and also because they can drain HP. The fact that the night lasts so long, and starts so early, means that the only units that can even stand a chance against ghosts (mages) are utterly useless until late game, so a ghost rush can actually cripple the player. Bats are almost as much of a problem, but not quite as annoying as far as resistances go.

Limiting the number of Ghosts/Wraiths would be preferred. I realize it adds a challenge, of course, but it's almost completely unfair. The ghosts take the combined power of both of our armies to destroy, and by the time we kill them, Wraiths are coming down from the north, and then Bone Shooters.

Not to mention the fact that dwarves and humans, sans maybe for footpads, are so heavily bogged down that they become almost worthless compared to elves. It almost gets to the point where the humans literally ARE useless, being not only lawful but horribly slow in the trees and swamps. Maybe the ability to recruit some level 2 units for the humans or dwarves would help a little. Or gryphons for the dwarves, since they have no scout.

note: The second scenario is fine. Leave it as is. We beat it first try, but it was still difficult.
MrEPIC

Post by MrEPIC »

meowreka wrote:I was the one who played with good ol' toasters there.

I can't honestly say I've played all that many campaigns, but this is my favorite one thus far at least. It's not overly complex and it's amazingly difficult without being impossible.
Thank you very much, meowreka.
Before I answer your issues, perhaps I should explain how my sister and I generally beat this level. One important thing to have before is a powerful leader. The Ranger should at least have a bunch of hp upgrades, and a very good ranged attack, with faerie fire preferred. Resistances, Elusive, Skirmisher, and Ambush are nice bonus abilities, too, but not necessarily needed. The sentinel should have a very good melee attack, and steadfast/dauntless and/or lots of hitpoints upgrades. The Lieutenant, definitely, should have a light sword by now, and preferably leadership. That is essential in increasing the usefulness of his troops, as illumination, level 3 leadership, and blessed (which severely weakens adjacent undead) will make units under his banner fight extremely efficiently. With this in mind, when I play, the elves usually recruit/recall their best fighters and archers, send the scout east to grab those villages, and recruit/recall a couple of woses to counter skeletons; just be sure to keep them away from wraiths. The dwarves usually go straight north through the forest, with a few fighters, thunderers, poachers, and footpads. It's not their job to push forward, they just need to stand their ground against the numerous trolls and undead. Then, the humans take the road forward, after recruiting/recalling their leveled-up units and several mages. A white mage is especially useful. While this is happening, the elf leader, hopefully with upgraded movepoints, goes around the map assassinating the undead leaders, starting with the revenant, and moving north. By the time she finishes, the others should be at the mouth of the troll cave. Here, the dwarves become especially useful. Both fighters and thunderers, not to mention the leader, are very effective against trolls. If you have an extremely powerful (I'm talking 15-4 with 200 hitpoints and bloodlust) ulf here, he can clear out the entire cave on his own, although that does mean he takes all of the experience, so that's up to you. Good luck, and read on for answers to your problems.
meowreka wrote: We're on the Grey Swamp scenario, and finding it to be just a little too difficult. The ghosts, to be honest, are just far more troublesome than they should be. They render any non-magical unit almost worthless against them, because of their resistances, and also because they can drain HP. The fact that the night lasts so long, and starts so early, means that the only units that can even stand a chance against ghosts (mages) are utterly useless until late game, so a ghost rush can actually cripple the player. Bats are almost as much of a problem, but not quite as annoying as far as resistances go.
I've changed out the dread bat leader to a dark sorcerer, who recruits soulless. The thing about these soulless, however, is that they can move when they are recruited, and each one that is recruited is transformed randomly into one of its variations. (e.g. drake corpse or bat corpse)
meowreka wrote: Limiting the number of Ghosts/Wraiths would be preferred. I realize it adds a challenge, of course, but it's almost completely unfair. The ghosts take the combined power of both of our armies to destroy, and by the time we kill them, Wraiths are coming down from the north, and then Bone Shooters.
Originally, the limit for Wraiths was 5. I've changed that to 3, and I've added in shadows (which should not be that hard to kill), which are limited to 2. I also limited the ghosts to 5.
meowreka wrote: Not to mention the fact that dwarves and humans, sans maybe for footpads, are so heavily bogged down that they become almost worthless compared to elves. It almost gets to the point where the humans literally ARE useless, being not only lawful but horribly slow in the trees and swamps. Maybe the ability to recruit some level 2 units for the humans or dwarves would help a little. Or gryphons for the dwarves, since they have no scout.
Recruiting level 2's would make this campaign extremely imbalanced.
Footpads are the dwarvish scout (for now). Gryphons can come in later, depending on the branch you choose on scenario 7. I've modified that map, and removed some of the forests and swamp. I've also changed the Long Night to be only 3 turns, just 1 more than usual. Hopefully these changes will make this level different and somewhat easier.

Summary:
Limit Wraiths/Ghosts.
Added Shadows.
Shortened Night.
Changed Map.

Thanks for the feedback, meowreka! The new version (v1.2.eight) will be up shortly. I'm currently considering whether or not I should widen the troll cave, so if you have an opinion on that, please tell me.
Last edited by MrEPIC on October 5th, 2009, 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dusk

Post by Dusk »

meowreka wrote:Not to mention the fact that dwarves and humans, sans maybe for footpads, are so heavily bogged down that they become almost worthless compared to elves. It almost gets to the point where the humans literally ARE useless, being not only lawful but horribly slow in the trees and swamps. Maybe the ability to recruit some level 2 units for the humans or dwarves would help a little. Or gryphons for the dwarves, since they have no scout.
You get gryphons if you go left on scenario 7, which will take you to Gryphon Mountain. There you are able to get the gryphon eggs, much like Heir to the Throne. On the scenario after Gryphon Mountain, Ford of Abez, you are able to get a free gryphon and recruit 4 more. Once you reach Knalga, you can still recall your gryphons, but you can only recruit gryphon riders.
Last edited by Dusk on January 4th, 2010, 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The one that kills is not always the one that lives."
Taalen

Re: Multiplayer Campaign: The Haunted Woods (v1.2.8)

Post by Taalen »

Compliments on the campaign! I just finished the first actual battle with two friends of mine, all of us pretty new to Wesnoth, and we all loved it. Rarely in any game have I experienced such an adrenaline rush and excitement as I did when we were taking a serious beating and looked like we couldn't possibly stand against the orcs, but eventually emerged victorious.

Really looking forward to when we find the time to play the second mission. Thank you for an awesome campaign!
--
"Violence doesn't solve problems. It removes them."
MrEPIC

Re: Multiplayer Campaign: The Haunted Woods (v1.2.8)

Post by MrEPIC »

Taalen wrote:Compliments on the campaign! I just finished the first actual battle with two friends of mine, all of us pretty new to Wesnoth, and we all loved it. Rarely in any game have I experienced such an adrenaline rush and excitement as I did when we were taking a serious beating and looked like we couldn't possibly stand against the orcs, but eventually emerged victorious.

Really looking forward to when we find the time to play the second mission. Thank you for an awesome campaign!
Thanks Taalen for the feedback! If you have any suggestions on how I can improve any aspect, any problems in trying to get past a level, or any bugs, make sure you post here so I can get to work on them. Have fun playing!

P.S. I noticed that your location says Helsinki, Finland, but I never would have guessed that from your excellent English. It must be cold there...
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: Multiplayer Campaign: The Haunted Woods (v1.2.9)

Post by jb »

Hello MrEpic,

I was able to try the first 2 maps of your campaign and wanted to give you some positive feedback. What I see so far I really like.

We played on Master Difficulty of course, but didn't play enough to comment on balance yet. There are some neat features I've not seen successfully used before...for example, your gold to xp shop where you can actually enter an interger amount....very nice touch.

I had some confusion too, as there are 2 "starting" maps that are available when starting the game. One is a foresty elf area, and one is a cave area. I went with the forest area on a 50% guess.

My only complaint at this point would be the lack of terrain, esp. on the battle map. The maps were quite uninspired considering all the code-monkey work you put into it. Perhaps I could help you out in this area.

I'll give you a full report after I play a few more scenarios.

cheers,
jb
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
MrEPIC

Post by MrEPIC »

jb wrote:Hello MrEpic,

I was able to try the first 2 maps of your campaign and wanted to give you some positive feedback. What I see so far I really like.

We played on Master Difficulty of course, but didn't play enough to comment on balance yet. There are some neat features I've not seen successfully used before...for example, your gold to xp shop where you can actually enter an interger amount....very nice touch.
Thank you, jb
I had some confusion too, as there are 2 "starting" maps that are available when starting the game. One is a foresty elf area, and one is a cave area. I went with the forest area on a 50% guess.
Ahh, I don't think the full names fit into the multiplayer scenario selection area. The first one, which is named "The Haunted Woods - Part 1" is the elf area (Elensefar) you selected. The other is actually named "The Haunted Woods - Part 2" which takes place in the caves of Knalga, at about the start of the second half of their adventure, on scenario 10 (which can be scenario 9, 10, or 11 depending on the branch taken), and generates the needed units for you.
My only complaint at this point would be the lack of terrain, esp. on the battle map. The maps were quite uninspired considering all the code-monkey work you put into it. Perhaps I could help you out in this area.
Certainly, I would be very grateful for input from you on this aspect.
Spoiler:
Dusk

Post by Dusk »

MrEPIC wrote:My 10 year old sister made most of these maps, so...
I thought you were the one who approved them?
"The one that kills is not always the one that lives."