Intro

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
AladorIsithir

Intro

Post by AladorIsithir »

I don't no where to put this but here it goes.

I think wesnoth should have an into seen or something... Just wondering if it would be worth it to make a 3D seen for it....
Working on "The Dark Brotherhood Era"
Working on "Surviving the North" Campaign
Working on "intro scene"
Aethaeryn
Translator

Re: Intro

Post by Aethaeryn »

The proper forum would be Ideas.

I agree that a fancy movie introduction scene would probably make Wesnoth appear more impressive (although it would increase download time). I await the patch submitted by you or whoever you find that can do it, and I hope the devs accept the patch if it's high enough quality. (In other words: if you want something done in the open source world, do it yourself.)
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
AladorIsithir

Post by AladorIsithir »

Yah, I didn't want to waste my time if i made one. Just checking to see if it would be a good idea.

It's kinda funny-I would be using a open source 3D software(Blender) for and open source game...
Working on "intro scene"
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Yuck, I hate intro movies or cinematics. Usually they have very little to do with the actual game, don't use the in-game graphics, and simply take up time on startup. I always skip these on most games I have with them in it.

However, one thing that would be nice would be to make an updated promotional "Welcome to Wesnoth" video trailer, kinda like this out-of-date one on YouTube. Maybe put in some of the new music and artwork, some of the new units in action, and make it a little higher res — though don't stray far from the original recipe, as I think it's nice and short and showcases the game well.

I'd be willing to help with this.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
AladorIsithir

Post by AladorIsithir »

Thanks for the support. I think it would look really neat to have some intro, but I"m not such a great director. It'll take me a while(as everything does) to actually start animating.

ancestral
Since you will to help, I was wondering if you have any ideas for music, or sequence of the intro. I was thinking title/soldiers marching(loyalists)/orcs and/or undead/ big fight secen/ explodes out to title(have this instead of at start)
Thanks for showing interest(i think we could make this real neat if we do it right) I don't know if this is what you had in mind for "help", but if it is, drop me a post on what you would want to do.

Either that or it could have cut scene travel over the campaigns is the order that they happened. Ideas would be welcome
Working on "intro scene"
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

I do… perhaps I'll start a new thread?
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
PsychoticKittens

Post by PsychoticKittens »

If this would be included, make sure it can be turned off in preferences. Re-caching to test code 50 times would be very very annoying with this. Its already pretty bad without one.
Creator of: Mercenaries Era; Modern Combat
Future Projects: Faunima: Land of Monsters
Temporarily Dropped Projects: Zombie Horde
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

considering the above and the multiplicity that umc can add to the games features..maybe it would be a better idea to add cinematics to to mainline campaigns instead? though im having ideas on a main intro as well ^_^ i'll make sure to peek if you make a dev topic on it
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

No one's going to make any kind of a 3D intro cinematic which wouldn't look really bad.
AladorIsithir

Post by AladorIsithir »

Hmmm... Adding them to mainline campaigns would make more sense, especially if you had Son of Black Eye. You could be playing "heroes of the North" while Ka'poue's voice makes a intro, then a fast view of everything that happens...

If making a intro scene for the entire game is going to be to much work for to little result, the mainline intro's are the better way to go. Of course, it would require a lot of time, support, and dedication. Any input on intro for main/intro for campaign would be nice!

Thanks!
Working on "intro scene"
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

AladorIsithir wrote:Hmmm... Adding them to mainline campaigns would make more sense, especially if you had Son of Black Eye. You could be playing "heroes of the North" while Ka'poue's voice makes a intro, then a fast view of everything that happens...
Voice actors reading out a campaign is a FPI. Although limiting it to the intro part of the campaign wasn't suggested before, I'm sure the same arguments apply. Try searching for threads on "voice" or "voice acting."
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
uzytkownik

Post by uzytkownik »

However - if possible - make the intro simultanious with loading. On modern multi-core CPU it shouldn't be problem at all and on older ones the intro woudn't take 100% CPU anyway.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

uzytkownik wrote:However - if possible - make the intro simultanious with loading. On modern multi-core CPU it shouldn't be problem at all and on older ones the intro woudn't take 100% CPU anyway.
Unfortunately, Wesnoth is currently able to work on lower end computers. Atm, I think it can work on Windows NT and 2000 at the minimum, but only because of a dependency that can easily be patched. For someone using an ancient computer with Linux and XFCE, I'm not sure what the absolute minimum would be.

Besides, intros are only interesting the first few times you watch the game. Then (especially for strategy games where the graphics aren't even in-game graphics) I tend to just press the spacebar several times to skip the intro for the months or years I play the game afterward. A lot of work for very minimum exposure.

On the other hand, a ten to twenty second video overview or intro of a campaign would be interesting, though, if done right. No voice-overs talking the story (would have to be updated too often), none of that stuff... Just have a little montage of fighting and special effects to epic fight music that makes you think "this campaign is going to be awesome." Again too much work, but if someone would make one for a campaign, I'd hope the engine would be modified to allow it.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Enchanteur

Post by Enchanteur »

Please, no intro !
Or only with a button "skip the intro" and a check "don't show intro next times".
French Player. For now, I'm working on creation of abilitys and units with WML. My goal is to make an enhanced version of Elves, playable with standard campains. HERE : http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 58&start=0
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Enchanteur wrote:Please, no intro !
Or only with a button "skip the intro" and a check "don't show intro next times".
1up