1.6 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 0.8.6 (1.6 ONLY - NOT 1.8)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.6 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising (~30 scenarios) 0.8.5

Post by doofus-01 »

If you reached the north and the impostor did not appear, it is a bug. Usually that scenario works, sometimes it doesn't. You're the fourth (at least) person to have that problem, I should really get it fixed. I'll post an update when I can.

Fortunately, you can skip on to the next level with

Code: Select all

:debug
:n
without breaking the campaign.
lostnumber

Post by lostnumber »

doofus-01 wrote:If you reached the north and the impostor did not appear, it is a bug. Usually that scenario works, sometimes it doesn't. You're the fourth (at least) person to have that problem, I should really get it fixed. I'll post an update when I can.

Fortunately, you can skip on to the next level with

:n
without breaking the campaign.
I've also had a problem with this bug.

To me it looked like if the orc leaders unit saw the enemy leader first it didnt work, but if I moved there first it worked fine. This unfortunately made me rush my commandos up there before the bulk of my army was ready just so that I could trigger the event properly :(. I also had to do a lot of save reloading to finally kill him, since all I could really get up there in time were commandos and Scarrion is one tough dude.
Statue

Post by Statue »

Hi, loving BMR, I'd like to see more campaigns making use of a hub/overview map with scenarios opening up when you move to a particular location (and those random encounters). Gives the game a whole new aspect and feels more RPG-style as a result; you can use the random encounters in between scenarios to level up some units you might need, and this corresponds nicely to how in a lot of RPGs you tackle certain areas/quests as a means to become powerful enough to tackle others. Awesome addition to Wesnoth, and can see it working really well in large-sized campaigns.

One problem I find with part II is the handling of Raenna. I managed to not acquire Raenna and have gotten to a point (up to the scenario Huric Pays A Visit) where I think I kinda need her but can't get her.

I've seen in a few scenarios along the way that a failure condition is Raenna dying, but I've been soldiering on anyway without her, wondering if I'd meet her at some point or even if it was just a unit that was to be added in a later version or something. But when I first hit Huric Pays A Visit my troops weren't up to the job and I figured I'd level up some units in the random encounters and, after finding Raenna mentioned in this forum, I decided to go back to see if I could get Raenna. From searching the forums I get the impression she's in the first town to the SW of the initial starting position, a scenario which I of course played thru, but didn't see Raenna. Going back to that town in my current game doesn't open up the map so I'm guessing I've plain missed my opportunity of getting that unit altogether unless I pretty much restart the campaign. I guess I can do that since I'm enjoying the campaign so much, but it still feels like a little bit of a drag at this point, and it might be nice to allow players opportunities to acquire Raenna by revisiting the location she's available at initially if they missed her the first time round like I've done (or alternatively/additionally make it explicit in the original scenario where she is that there's a character there to acquire).

Thanks for the great campaign, much appreciated.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Statue wrote:One problem I find with part II is the handling of Raenna. I managed to not acquire Raenna and have gotten to a point (up to the scenario Huric Pays A Visit) where I think I kinda need her but can't get her.
At one point, I had the idea to try to make things less linear, but soon found it was too complicated for me to manage. The ability of the player to pass by Raenna's village is a remnant of that. I'll look at it again.

It is probably possible to splice her into a savefile, so you don't have to start over. I can't test now, but I think you can go to her scenario with

:cl
The scenario is named "Rescue". Once she joins your side, you could try ":cl" again to go back to the scenario you are currently at. I've never tried that before, so I can't be sure that will work. If it doesn't, you can open the savefile of a turn after Raenna has joined and find her [unit] block by searching for "id=Raenna". Copy and paste that entire [unit] block into the savefile of your most recent game (somewhere among the other [unit] blocks of your side) and she should be on the map. You might need to change the "x=##" and "y=##" entries so she doesn't have the same coordinates as someone else. You also might need to paste her into the start-of-scenario save, not an auto-save.
Statue

Post by Statue »

I used your suggestion of the :debug :cl command to load Rescue again and it seems to be going fine.

Aha! I see what the trigger is for Raenna to appear now. It is when the enemies in the Rescue scenario take all 5 of the central villages - either that or when they take the one on the far right, as that was the last one they took and it was then that the Raenna team appeared.

The reason I'd managed to not see her at all was not from passing by the scenario itself, but was from completing it before the enemy had managed to take all of those villages (or at least the relevant one for the trigger) - I'd accomplished this by plopping the free peasant onto one of the leader's recruitment spots when he vacated it to capture a village on the first turn. It was merely meant to delay his ability to recruit until my units had gotten over there, which it accomplished a little too well - the peasant managed to survive until my troops were there, and the enemy units were distracted into trying to retake their camp rather than going for new villages. I'd then killed both leaders before they ever went back to going for villages, hence me completing Rescue in the beginning but not ever meeting Raenna. I suspect that it's not that common for some1 to take out both leaders before the enemy take those villages to trigger Raenna (I put it happening to me down to the luck of that free peasant and his managing to survive and bait the enemies for so long rather than anything particularly skillful on my part), but should a player be skillful or lucky enough to do it they actually end up disadvantaged subsequently. Definitely worth looking at I reckon, though the workaround of using cl to go back to it seems to be working so far :)

Thanks for the help

Update: once Rescue has been re-completed, the player does need to then cl back to whatever scenario they are on (as it puts u back on the world map and gives u the mission that naturally follows Rescue, to go to the forest to the west). Once u cl back to where u were it does indeed spawn Raenna alongside u - looks like it works without creating problems, which is nice :)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

0.8.6 just went to the server. It is the last release for BfW 1.6, I will now focus on getting it working for 1.7/1.8.

- For the bug with Scarrion not showing up in scenario "The Pit", I've replaced the "sighted" event with a "moveto", so it should always work now.
- The lucky peasant in scenario "Rescue" should also no longer be an issue.
- There is some more work done on Part 4, but it is still incomplete and later scenarios untested.

I'll start a new topic for the 1.7 version when it is released. I'm thinking of removing Part 1 if I can't figure out FormulaAI well enough to make it better. I'll try to get the world map fixed and extended to the end of Part 3. After that, I'll try to finish Part 4. That's the plan, we'll see how it goes.
JJ

Re: 1.6 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising (~30 scenarios) 0.8.6

Post by JJ »

Hey! Amazing campaign, great depth, wonderful dialogue.
Like that one other player, I am also stuck on "Camp." Although I'm not exactly an expert at the game, I'm far from a novice. The forces just seem plain ol' overwhelming, even after having kept the rogues from crossing the river. My team just inevitably crumbles under superior numbers. From dialogue snippets caught during times when I *didn't* prevent the rogue crossing, it seemed like tension was brewing between the rogue and the commander... I was sort of hoping for a timely betrayal, but it never happens -- in fact, that dialogue is completely missing if you prevent the rogues from crossing.

Am I missing something, or is the difficulty meant for Wesnoth savants?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi,

That scenario can be one of the more difficult ones. If you are aggressive and hold the line at the river, the enemy is not as strong. If you get the dialogues, it means the enemy is getting stronger (the outlaws are getting more desperate, the loyalists are becoming more confident). That was to compensate for the player using slower, stronger units and not rushing to the river. But having the outlaws turn on the loyalists would make sense, I'll look into incorporating that.

I don't have a non-corrupt replay, but if you find it too difficult, you can level up some units fighting orcs when you wander off the path in the world map (regular->veteran & archer-> seeress would probably be good).
phaoYoh2

Post by phaoYoh2 »

Here is my "Camp" replay. I recruited some runners for ZoC. I also recruited dogs, because they are cheap and runners have "dog trainer" ability. Then I recruited slow powerful army and killed both enemies.
Now i can't beat "Fortress". I think it is harder, i can't reach any camp inside the castle. If i go by road, enemies block me. If i go through forest, i am just too slow.
Attachments
BMR2-Camp_replay.gz
"Camp" replay
(63.19 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

phaoYoh2 wrote:Now i can't beat "Fortress". I think it is harder, i can't reach any camp inside the castle. If i go by road, enemies block me. If i go through forest, i am just too slow.
What I do is send dogs out into the woods to get the villages out there, then have the dogs move up along the sides of the map while the main force goes up the middle. Though they aren't much help in actual fighting, the dogs can create a distraction by grabbing the villages inside the fort.

If you can keep the center of action south of the wooden planks, so your forces can retreat into the woods and the enemy sometimes steps on the snow, that should help.
jasonliu

Post by jasonliu »

i am on all dreams die now and an error comes out when chimera levels up, im near the end -.- what shud i do?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

jasonliu wrote:what shud i do?
Tell me what the error message said. Or send me your savegame file, I might be able to fix it and find out what is wrong. What version are you using?
There was once a problem with Khthon leveling up, but I had thought it was fixed.
jasonliu

Post by jasonliu »

i managed to get pass that scenario by holding the keep and dont let the strom cantar recruit so nothing let the chimera lvl up

but now im playing bad moon rising 4 and is stuck on rebirth, it said let echidna attacks keldan, but after that keldan becomes my side and nothing happen now, it goes on forever..?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

There is a problem with that scenario in that you must kill all elves, but if one of the rangers is hiding in the woods, it is difficult to know what is going on. If you look at the status table, you'll probably see the enemy still has some units alive even though you can't see them. I need to fix that.

Part 4 is rather incomplete, I'm not 100% sure I should have included it.
Tigertown84

Post by Tigertown84 »

Hello Doofus....I am playing what I believe to be the final map of BMR3 on windows version 1.6.4--wow, what a challenging campaign(!), and I am 100% stumped at the end of All Dreams Die II. I destroyed the Chimera and as soon as I attack Carghanna she flies the coop. I am then told that this was all just an elaborate plan by Nemesis, Ares, and the immortals to kill everyone. Then Ares kills Athanta leaving me to stop Armageddon alone. Supposedly the only thing that will deactivate the volcano is inside of an urn. Well....I have looked in every urn and there is nothing to help me in them. I've tried everything I can think of, including having Raenna herself look in each urn. Is this a glitch, or did I do something which is causing there not to be a final solution. For example, I did find the urns earlier in the map, before the end. Does this prevent victory? Does killing the Chimera prevent victory? I don't normally ask for help, but I want to make sure this isn't a glitch. Thanks!
Wife: "So how late were you up LAST night playing that stupid game you're addicted to?"
Me: "ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....."