Artwork Needed for Heir to the Throne (Spoilers!)

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Dave
Founding Developer

Artwork Needed for Heir to the Throne (Spoilers!)

Post by Dave »

We need quite a few storyline images to finish off Heir to the Throne.

The storyline images so far have been done by fmunoz. Any new storyline images would have to be in the same style, for consistency (or if a new artist wanted, they could redo all storyline images I guess)

Firstly, some more images are needed for the original intro sequence:

"Garard's queen, Asheviere, looked on with glee, having come to watch the battle from a nearby hill. The rule of her son would surely satisfy her lust for power far better than her husband's had."

-- needs an image of Asheviere watching the battle from a hill...

"In exchange for tribute, the Northern king happily made peace with Eldred, who proclaimed himself king and led his army back to Weldyn."

-- needs an image of Eldred riding at the front of his army

"But Garard's arch-mage, Delfador, had escaped the battle and, riding with haste, reached Weldyn first. He mustered a force of loyalists to fight Eldred and avenge the king's death."

-- needs an image of Delfador riding at the front of an army

"Eldred made war upon Delfador and his forces with his mother's advice ringing in his ears: 'Fight no one great or small except the old mage, whose head should be severed from his shoulders.'"

-- needs an image of Asheviere advising Eldred

"Asheviere herself then took command of the army, and led it back to Weldyn. Knowing that the king's young nephews were next in line to the throne, she ordered them all killed, and declared herself Queen of Wesnoth."

-- need an image of Asheviere ordering her guards

"Fleeing to the forests of the West, Delfador raised the child Konrad under the protection of the Elves, watching sadly as Asheviere's reign of terror over the land began..."

-- needs an image of Delfador arriving at the forests of the Elves

---

Then from Battle for Wesnoth:

"Here we overlook the city of Weldyn. The great city. The ancient city. The city of evil. The city of good. The city of men."

-- needs an image of Konrad, Delfador, and Li'sar overlooking Weldyn, much like in the title screen image

"The battle had been long and hard. We had been defeated. Eldred was slain, but I knew that Asheviere's wrath would be great. That many innocents would be slain. I had to save the monarchy. I had to save the princes. I made haste to Weldyn, before the guards of Asheviere could get there, to carry out their evil orders."

-- needs an image of Delfador riding fast on his horse

"But I failed. I was too late. I entered the chambers of the youngest prince, prince Konrad, just as one of the evil ones ran him through. All was lost. The heirs were slain. Only Asheviere and her daughter had any claim to the throne."

-- needs an image of Delfador arriving as the guards kill baby Konrad

"By strange and mysterious fortune, the Elf Lady Parandra had come across a human child. She knew not where he had come from, only that the Orcs would have eaten him if it weren't for her intervention. The Elves felt that great fortune smiled upon this man-child. Perhaps that is why this most truthful of peoples agreed to my plan."

-- needs an image of Parandra saving a baby from Orcs

"After burying the little prince, we agreed never to speak of him again. Instead, this orphan child we would call Konrad, and he would be brought up to be king. I would say that I had slain the guards before they had carried out their evil deed, instead of after. No-one would ever have to know. And no-one did know for certain, until now."

-- needs an image of Delfador talking to Parandra while the whole the baby Konrad

"I had thought that we could one day make you king, Konrad. But now I see that fate has made a different choice. That despite all of Asheviere's evil, this Li'sar is fit for the throne. She is the rightful queen. From a long line of kings, stretching all the way back to the seafarers of old from the west."

-- maybe an abstract image showing Li'sar and her forefathers?

"Now, let us not tarry here any longer! The dawn breaks! The time has come for the heir to the throne to claim it!"

-- an image of them looking at Weldyn with the sun rising

We also need a unit image for Asheviere with animations and a portrait. Fmunoz started a portrait at http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... =asheviere but hasn't coloured it.

---

In Epilogue:

"And so the Dark Queen's reign was ended, and Li'sar, daughter of Haldric was crowned Queen of Wesnoth, and the holder of the Scepter of Fire, which she would pass to all her successors."

-- an image of Li'sar being crowned with the Scepter in hand

"Her reign was long, and she undid the evil deeds of her mother."

-- an image of the fertile grasslands of Wesnoth

"Konrad became a noble in Li'sar's court. He married Li'sar, and together they had two sons and a daughter."

-- an image of Li'sar and Konrad's wedding

"The bones of the young prince Konrad were retrieved from the Elves, and buried in the Royal Crypt in Weldyn, which Konrad visited to pay homage every week."

-- an image of Konrad kneeling at the crypt of his namesake

"Delfador became Li'sar's High Council, advising her in the most important matters of state. He lived until a ripe old age, and was given a Royal Funeral, after which he was buried in the Royal Crypt in Weldyn."

-- an image of Delfador advising Li'sar

"Kalenz returned to his home in the North, and never returned to the land of men."

-- an image of Kalenz in the forest with other Elves

---

Of course these are open to artistic interpretation.

I realize this is alot of work, but we have lots of good artists here and I have faith we can pull it off :)

I think it will really add alot of value to the campaign and the game as a whole if we have good storyline images.

So, who is interested in this task? :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

for all of his crumminess in the coloring process, pickslide had done some damn nice line art for campaign pics.

His prince Eldred had been a caricature of an "evil prince", but really - the one picture where pickslide didn't draw the guy's face (the king going off to war) was ... wonderful.

I wish I could draw like that. I might be a ninja at shading, but I am terrible at general proportion and composition. Oh yeah, and I suuuuuck at drawing horses (to my knowledge - I actually can't remember if I have ever tried to).

-------------

That said, yeah - you weren't kidding about spoilers. :oops: Still, though, I think it is a good thing that we actually know what happens in the story, and I rather like the simplicity of it. It's a nice, feel-good ending, and it even has the ... nicely unconventional business of Li'sar rising to the throne, and not Konrad.

Konrad becoming king would be a bit cliché, to say the least.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Jetryl wrote: Konrad becoming king would be a bit cliché, to say the least.
Yup...it was either 'give the player a choice based on how they play', or 'make Li'sar become queen instead', and I went for the latter option.

Of course, in his way, Konrad did become king, since he married Li'sar :) (which I guess is rather cliché, but they did think they were cousins when they met...)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
sanna

Post by sanna »

Dave wrote:Of course, in his way, Konrad did become king, since he married Li'sar :)
Prince Consort, I believe the term is
Pickslide
Art Contributor

Post by Pickslide »

I hate to bring up ancient topics, but has anyone started on this?
If not, I could try to get down on penciling these.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Jetryl started on one image, but no-one has ever finished things....

I think Jetryl is still planning to continue on it at some point though...

David
Pickslide
Art Contributor

Post by Pickslide »

Allright, I figured I'd try to pump some images out here...I did these last night and today and I'll try to get more done.

Also, they're all at 75% size, saving on download time. I have the full sizes still if I finish and these are used. I haven't put in parchment texture but I think it would work if no one minds not having color.
Attachments
Betrayer.png
Betrayer.png (205.63 KiB) Viewed 4380 times
Death.png
Death.png (304.53 KiB) Viewed 4566 times
Eldred.png
Eldred.png (218.66 KiB) Viewed 4383 times
Pickslide
Art Contributor

Post by Pickslide »

more...

thats it for now.
Attachments
Hill.png
Hill.png (240.96 KiB) Viewed 4375 times
King.png
King.png (354.63 KiB) Viewed 4375 times
Circon

Post by Circon »

Wow. Really nice.
Pickslide
Art Contributor

Post by Pickslide »

Thanks. Am I just being really sneaky and no one is looking in this thread? Oh yeah, I tried out a quick coloring and it looks good, but I won't do any more of that until I finish all the scenes in pencil first.
Attachments
Escape.png
Escape.png (347.86 KiB) Viewed 4311 times
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Ehm no one is looking thats not right but most are not writing
over your pics you can see how often they were viewed
I like your work very much.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Pickslide: I sent you an email in reference to this thread. Please let me know if you didn't receive it.

David
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Awesome

Post by fmunoz »

Really nice, dump my old ones and use these :-)

I still have some drafts somewhere I could try to scan and post them to give some ideas for some missing frames (Delfaldor arriving late, undeads in the isle, elven council and some plains with horse riders)
Jetrel

Re: Awesome

Post by Jetrel »

fmunoz wrote:Really nice, dump my old ones and use these :-)

I still have some drafts somewhere I could try to scan and post them to give some ideas for some missing frames (Delfaldor arriving late, undeads in the isle, elven council and some plains with horse riders)
Yay! Francisco's back! (or at least has stopped by)

FYI, I have higher res versions of these from pickslide - they are awaiting my making a GOOD picture(s) of parchment to matte them onto. I've just been so retardedly busy lately that I haven't been able to get some old parchment/textured paper to scan.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Awesome

Post by Sangel »

Jetryl wrote: FYI, I have higher res versions of these from pickslide - they are awaiting my making a GOOD picture(s) of parchment to matte them onto. I've just been so retardedly busy lately that I haven't been able to get some old parchment/textured paper to scan.
If you dig the best ditches, they'll give you a bigger shovel. :wink:

About the story images - it appears that not enough people have been saying what really needs to be said about them: They're great. Keep up the good work!

And welcome back Francisco.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry