A Matter of Perception (Better name needed)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sur.nhm

A Matter of Perception (Better name needed)

Post by sur.nhm »

hi everybody!
I'm opening this thread for my first campaign: The Great War.
I will do all the coding but since my animation abilities are practically non-existent, I'll be using mainline units only unless someone will agree to help with it (help would be appreciated).
Anyway, the campaign will tell the story of the first war between the Elves and the Dwarves. I think it should be 10 scenarios long, divided as follows: the first 8 are alternating between dwarvish and elvish points of view, while the last two should be joint, versus (of course) liches in specific and undead in general.
responses will be appreciated.
Last edited by sur.nhm on January 28th, 2010, 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
Sithras

Re: The Great War

Post by Sithras »

"The Great War" may be a little too vague- players may not know what factions are battling in this campaign. Maybe change the name?
Why are you wasting your time reading this when you are here for the forums?
Zamael

Post by Zamael »

Sithras wrote:"The Great War" may be a little too vague- players may not know what factions are battling in this campaign. Maybe change the name?
Plus it sounds like it'd topple over the entire canon. I mean honestly, think about it:
The founding of Wesnoth: A great war
The reclamation of throne from queen Asheviere: A great war
The invasion of Mal-Ravanal, where much of the country is wiped out by undead: A great war
Kapou'e the orc kicks asses and takes names: A great war

But this thing of yours? THE great war. Come on.
This is a shameless ad. It contains my campaign. Please enjoy it. All comments and feedback much appreciated.
AladorIsithir

Post by AladorIsithir »

I might be willing to help with artwork, but it depends on what i'm going to draw... :D
Working on "The Dark Brotherhood Era"
Working on "Surviving the North" Campaign
Working on "intro scene"
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Sithras wrote:"The Great War" may be a little too vague- players may not know what factions are battling in this campaign. Maybe change the name?
One can't tell which factions are battling from a number of mainline campaign titles.

Heir to the Throne?
Under the Burning Suns?
Eastern Invasion?
The South Guard?
Zamael wrote: Plus it sounds like it'd topple over the entire canon. I mean honestly, think about it:
The founding of Wesnoth: A great war
The reclamation of throne from queen Asheviere: A great war
The invasion of Mal-Ravanal, where much of the country is wiped out by undead: A great war
Kapou'e the orc kicks asses and takes names: A great war

But this thing of yours? THE great war. Come on.
Nonsense.

Since this war would happen before any of the established canon, it might even be less disastrous than later conflicts but still, from the point of view of its participants, be the Great War. Much like how WW2 eclipsed the destruction of WW1, but people used to refer (maybe still do occasionally) to WW1 as "The Great War." Or it might be so far back that it has become a war of myth and legend, exaggerated over time.

Really, there's little to comment on here because little information is given by the OP. But if these are the biggest complaints that can be leveled against this campaign it'll probably be pretty good.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

The Great Rings wrote:Really, there's little to comment on here because little information is given by the OP. But if these are the biggest complaints that can be leveled against this campaign it'll probably be pretty good.
The plot seems a little Wesnoth-generic. Nothing that new, and yet another mastermind lich leading Undead armies who must be stopped at all costs. At least make the final villain unique?

EDIT: This offer, which would get you a unique boss villain, might make things more interesting. You'd be more likely to get someone to do the art if you do the first 8 scenarios first, though... the ones where you aren't fighting the main bad guys.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Aethaeryn wrote: The plot seems a little Wesnoth-generic. Nothing that new, and yet another mastermind lich leading Undead armies who must be stopped at all costs. At least make the final villain unique?
Yeah, I suppose. Now, I actually really like Lichs as villains, but this campaign would be set before Rise of Wesnoth, and I had the impression that Lichs and such only arrived on the continent at that time.
The X-files

A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

The Great Rings wrote:
Aethaeryn wrote: The plot seems a little Wesnoth-generic. Nothing that new, and yet another mastermind lich leading Undead armies who must be stopped at all costs. At least make the final villain unique?
Yeah, I suppose. Now, I actually really like Lichs as villains, but this campaign would be set before Rise of Wesnoth, and I had the impression that Lichs and such only arrived on the continent at that time.
Quite true. Anyway, it's not that liches aren't cool enemies, it's just that they are overused *as masterminds*. Also, if you poke around the developer art forum, you'll notice that Eternal is working on a pretty awesome L4 Death Knight, which could serve as an alternative undead boss.
Sithras

Post by Sithras »

AladorIsithir wrote:I might be willing to help with artwork, but it depends on what i'm going to draw... :D
Same here. Units as well, check out my "Wesnoth Community (in-game) topic later for a basic idea.
solsword
Code Contributor

Post by solsword »

The Great Rings wrote: Now, I actually really like Lichs as villains, but this campaign would be set before Rise of Wesnoth, and I had the impression that Lichs and such only arrived on the continent at that time.
This impression is correct. If you're going to do a UMC that relates to mainline, even if you don't intend to try to get it mainlined, you really should read the Geography and History wiki nodes. Using liches as your final enemies would make your campaign inconsistent with Wesnoth history.

However, I fully support a campaign about the Great Continent pre-humans, and there really haven't been that many elf/dwarf wars at all in campaigns. At least, not ones that lasted more than a single battle or two. I also really like the idea of switching perspectives.

On the other hand, neither orcs nor liches are available as enemies (I'm not sure about undead... there definitely *are* undead on the Great Continent before TRoW, but my impression is that they're scattered and don't ever do things like threaten elven civilization (because if they did, they'd get their asses handed to them). See the island quest from TRoW for reference (one of the quests you can choose in scenario 16).

Also, it's a major cop-out to have the two good-aligned sides at war with each other to be brought to a treaty by a greater threat. It would be much, *much* more awesome if you had the more rational factions on each side realize that the war was stupid, and then work towards peace, and finally sign a treaty. It might be difficult to get an epic "final battle" scenario out of that, but it would make a much better campaign, and much better history for Wesnoth, IMO.
The Knights of the Silver Spire campaign.

http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~pmawhorter - my website.

Teamcolors for everyone! PM me for a teamcolored version of your sprite, or you can do it yourself. If you just happen to like magenta, no hard feelings?
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

A-Red wrote: Quite true. Anyway, it's not that liches aren't cool enemies, it's just that they are overused *as masterminds*. Also, if you poke around the developer art forum, you'll notice that Eternal is working on a pretty awesome L4 Death Knight, which could serve as an alternative undead boss.
Not suprising that Lichs are used as masterminds, given that they are immortal (suggesting that they can plan and manipulate over centuries) that they are about the most powerful bad unit, and that they happen to look completely evil and terrifying.
The X-files

Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

The Great Rings wrote:
A-Red wrote: Quite true. Anyway, it's not that liches aren't cool enemies, it's just that they are overused *as masterminds*. Also, if you poke around the developer art forum, you'll notice that Eternal is working on a pretty awesome L4 Death Knight, which could serve as an alternative undead boss.
Not suprising that Lichs are used as masterminds, given that they are immortal (suggesting that they can plan and manipulate over centuries) that they are about the most powerful bad unit, and that they happen to look completely evil and terrifying.
Unfortunately, the more common they become, the less cool/unique they get when you see enough of them.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Aethaeryn wrote:Unfortunately, the more common they become, the less cool/unique they get when you see enough of them.
Oh I agree. Overexposure can help turn a menacing, powerful enemy into a joke.

I wouldn't mind Lichs being common, but I would want to reserve Ancient Lichs for truly epic battles and nation or world-threatening enemies.
The X-files

Kenpachi

Post by Kenpachi »

sur.nhm wrote: the story of the first war between the Elves and the Dwarves.
This would be a nice story to tell, and would justify the name, at lest to the Elves, and Dwarfs.
Do you need the undead in there at all?
I would think a epilogue stating how and when the war between them ended, would be better.

For example
Spoiler:
Last edited by Kenpachi on September 30th, 2009, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sithras

Post by Sithras »

Nah, you only need undead if you want to have a long campaign.
Besides, this is to focus on Dwarves and Elves; Undead doesn't have to be in this campaign.