Slow music for the game

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PPH

Slow music for the game

Post by PPH »

It's been some time since I said I intended to make some music for the game. Months, actually. I finally got to finish the slow piece I started several months ago. It is supposed to serve the same purpose as "Revelation", more or less. What do you think of it?

[EDIT: I DELETED THE FIRST VERSION; SEE THE LATEST VERSION IN A POST BELOW]
Last edited by PPH on May 13th, 2010, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkyOne

Re: Slow music for the game

Post by SkyOne »

Hi, PPH
PPH wrote:It's been some time since I said I intended to make some music for the game. Months, actually. I finally got to finish the slow piece I started several months ago. It is supposed to serve the same purpose as "Revelation", more or less. What do you think of it?
I think that the way to use this music is more like "sad.ogg" than the way of "revelation.ogg" because revelation.ogg is the default music for pre-game storylines.

Bacically, music is very good.:smile: I like it personally, especially the combination of the first code and the second one. Is the second code "Ab diminish"? (nice tone)

It had probably better be formated as ".ogg" for many users, but it is better for me to be saved as ".mp3". It started playing as soon as I downloaded by iTune automatically.:smile:
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
PPH

Post by PPH »

SkyOne wrote:Hi, PPH
PPH wrote:It's been some time since I said I intended to make some music for the game. Months, actually. I finally got to finish the slow piece I started several months ago. It is supposed to serve the same purpose as "Revelation", more or less. What do you think of it?
I think that the way to use this music is more like "sad.ogg" than the way of "revelation.ogg" because revelation.ogg is the default music for pre-game storylines.

Bacically, music is very good.:smile: I like it personally, especially the combination of the first code and the second one. Is the second code "Ab diminish"? (nice tone)

It had probably better be formated as ".ogg" for many users, but it is better for me to be saved as ".mp3". It started playing as soon as I downloaded by iTune automatically.:smile:
Yes, you may be right. I'm glad you liked it. I'm not sure which chord you are talking about, but I think you liked the same transition I like (it seems to be the high point of the piece, since my sister liked it too). I'm not good at chord naming. The chord is C F Ab (or, Ab C F). The transition goes from CAE to CAbF (then BAbE followed by CAE again).

I had made an ogg, but when I tried to attach it to the post, I got an error, so I made an mp3. That one didn't work either, so I zipped it. That worked.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

PPH wrote:I'm not sure which chord you are talking about, but I think you liked the same transition I like (it seems to be the high point of the piece, since my sister liked it too). I'm not good at chord naming. The chord is C F Ab (or, Ab C F). The transition goes from CAE to CAbF (then BAbE followed by CAE again).
Oh, I see.
The chord (sorry for spelling because of too much think about WML) I was talking about is BAbE which is E major (in your case, probably 7th). And CAE is A minor, also CFAb is F minor. The chords and transitions are actually very simple, but music is not sound like it. I mean that you are so talented. You should keep it up.
Another good point of this music is that you have chosen oboe as melody (isn't it?) It really fits in the music.:smile:
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
PPH

Post by PPH »

Thank you :D I can name some chords, but only after lots of thinking. I can realize that CAE is A minor, for example, but that one is easy. CFAb one is difficult. I tend to compose more by ear than anything else. I realize that has some limitations, though.

The first instrument playing the melody is a flute. The second one is a clarinet (I guess the clarinet is the one you thought was an oboe).
xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

Very well done! I hope this gets added to mainline soon! :)
Current Projects:

UMC Campaign Guardian Order.
Main Campaign Thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26895
Art Thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 28&start=0
PPH

Post by PPH »

xbriannova wrote:Very well done! I hope this gets added to mainline soon! :)
Thank you! :D
xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

I have no power, so I'll give you the puny, insignificant unknown developer's seal of approval :). But really, I can think of many ways to use this good piece of music in my campaign. :) And I'm sure about ten thousand people here could too :).
Current Projects:

PPH

Post by PPH »

xbriannova wrote:I have no power, so I'll give you the puny, insignificant unknown developer's seal of approval :). But really, I can think of many ways to use this good piece of music in my campaign. :) And I'm sure about ten thousand people here could too :).
Your approval is not insignificant, even if the piece does not make it into the mainline. It gives me a lot of encouragement to make more music. I'm already working on a battle piece. It's longer and more complex than this one, so it's taking a lot of work. Although I wouldn't compose it if I didn't enjoy doing it, comments like yours are helpful because they give me some extra motivation, which is quite important when one's facing a task that requires a lot of effort.
xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

Hey no problem. The way I see it, people are supposed to motivate and support each other. Sorry for not replying any sooner by the way. This does not mean that what I'm saying is just obligation though. I'm serious and I'm sincere, your music's good. Go on composing and I think I'll listen to it a few more times again. I might use this if there is ever a scenario that's begging for this piece to express itself.

Good luck and have fun! :) One final advice though- never rely on people for motivation. To fully yield the benefits of third party motivation, you must first learn to motivate yourself. Then, you'd be able to keep going and going with motivation from other people becoming an extra boost from time to time. There's no point in being motivated when inside, there is just an empty space, and when you felt like quitting any moment.
Current Projects:

PPH

Post by PPH »

xbriannova wrote:Hey no problem. The way I see it, people are supposed to motivate and support each other. Sorry for not replying any sooner by the way. This does not mean that what I'm saying is just obligation though. I'm serious and I'm sincere, your music's good. Go on composing and I think I'll listen to it a few more times again. I might use this if there is ever a scenario that's begging for this piece to express itself.

Good luck and have fun! :) One final advice though- never rely on people for motivation. To fully yield the benefits of third party motivation, you must first learn to motivate yourself. Then, you'd be able to keep going and going with motivation from other people becoming an extra boost from time to time. There's no point in being motivated when inside, there is just an empty space, and when you felt like quitting any moment.
Yes, I agree.
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

I'm not sure which Clarinet sample you're using, but it's pretty out of tune there :D Try adjusting the pitch about 10 cents sharp because it's ever so flat...just a tad but enough to annoy my relative pitch :D

Other than that, I would suggest since you have some skill in this area (composition), to upgrade to some realistic sample libraries. Something like EWQL, Symphobia, or VSL.
PPH

Post by PPH »

Tyler Johnson wrote:I'm not sure which Clarinet sample you're using, but it's pretty out of tune there :D Try adjusting the pitch about 10 cents sharp because it's ever so flat...just a tad but enough to annoy my relative pitch :D

Other than that, I would suggest since you have some skill in this area (composition), to upgrade to some realistic sample libraries. Something like EWQL, Symphobia, or VSL.
Well, I thought the clarinet was slightly out of tune while making the piece (the beginning of some notes, I think). But as my sister didn't complain, I thought it wasn't as much as to annoy anyone. I have EWQL Silver, though I didn't use it (I used samples from the cheaper PROSAMPLES Blue collection, which I find easier to work with some times; tuning information may have been lost during conversion to the format I used; I also have a sfz version of them in which I corrected the tunings). I'll replace the clarinet and use the one that comes with EWQL, which was my original intent, but as I was satisfied with the final result, didn't do.

Thanks a lot for the comments!
PPH

Post by PPH »

Here it is, with a new clarinet (the one from EWQL Silver). At first I changed the flute, too, but after listening to the result, I liked the other one better, so I kept it. The same goes to the harp (the one that comes with EWQL is too "plucky" for this piece, I think).
Attachments
wesnothEWClar.zip
(1.48 MiB) Downloaded 661 times
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Ahhh, that sounds MUCH better! Develop the piece a little more, I want to see what else you can do with it. I think some backing percussion would be nice. A simple snare line or some ominous gong hits can add a lot of realism to a piece.