Kitty's random stuff: The South Guard

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
aqualectrix

Re: Kitty's random stuff: Naga Warrior!

Post by aqualectrix »

I actually really like the sword-on-the-shoulder. It gives him this casual "Yeah, this deadly weapon is just part of my everyday life" vibe. Like a student swinging a backpack over one shoulder, he doesn't think anything of it, and it gives him an awesome attitude.

I have a few questions -- please take them with as many grains of salt as necessary, as I am not an artist:

I think I am reading the neck wrong? On first glance I think "That is way too skinny!" Then, after examination, I realize that the webbing I had initially thought was going down the back of his neck is actually going down the side, hiding much of the back of the neck. I doubt making my particular eyes read the neck correctly on the first try is worth fiddling with anything (nor do I have any idea how to "fix" this), but I thought it deserved a mention.

Possibly more important is the front (his right) arm. It seems like it is much shorter than his left arm would be if it were unbent, and shoulder-to-elbow length seems almost half the size of elbow-to-knuckles length; I think the upper arm is too short. Again, I may be reading things incorrectly or misunderstanding the anatomy.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Swords aren't really very sharp. That would only lead to shattering.
So even without armour it shouldn't be a problem to shoulder that weapon.
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

fabi wrote:Swords aren't really very sharp. That would only lead to shattering.
Exactly, unless these guys know how to make carbon steel (and keep a sharpening kit with them). I do agree it's kind of a strange way to keep a weapon, but it seems probable that he'll play around with the blade since he's carrying it with him all the time. It's not like you need to be ready to use it at any split second.

Regarding the portrait itself, looks great. I'll have to agree with aqualectrix's comments about the arms, though, his left one seems a tad too long.
For the dark gods!
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Girgistian wrote:but it seems probable that he'll play around with the blade since he's carrying it with him all the time.
I just remembered the Naga idle animation I made... the one where the naga digged his ear with the sword. :shock:
[/off-topic]

Anyway, is there two light sources in the portrait? It looks like that to me, at least. And it looks cool. 8)
Check out my sprites!
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

woodmouse wrote:Anyway, is there two light sources in the portrait? It looks like that to me, at least. And it looks cool. 8)
I remember kitty saying she usually goes for 2 lightsources.

Im glad he didnt get the silly crown he has on the sprite tho. But nice. But I even liked the lowerlevel naga more, somehow more... snakey.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

Pretty much finished, I still need to fiddle with some details but he should get done today.
Too may comments to answer in detail - but I shortened the rear upper arm.

EDIT: He should be done now.
Attachments
naga_myrmidon04.png
naga_myrmidon04.png (232.81 KiB) Viewed 3797 times
naga_myrmidon_bg.png
naga_myrmidon_bg.png (61.44 KiB) Viewed 3797 times
Nikolaj

Post by Nikolaj »

Amazing artwork. I've been lurking on the artforums for a week and I have to say that your work always stuns me. I wonder if you have a deviantart page or something like that where I could see more of your stuff.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

He's amazing ! I just love the play of light on his scales and armour, you really have a talent with textures and colours 8)

Only nitpick I have is about the scales on his front arm : while I completely approve of the design, I think it might feel more natural if the overal shape of the scale patch followed slightly the curve of his forearm, instead of a straight line. What I have in mind is a few random, tiny, extra scales on the edges in order to tone down the neatly-cut feel)
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
kitty

Post by kitty »

lordbob: Thanks for your suggestion! Changed the scale pattern on your suggestion, he's finally finished now.

nikolaj:
Thank you! But I don't have a gallery with other current work online atm, unfortunately.
Attachments
naga_myrmidon05.png
naga_myrmidon05.png (233.29 KiB) Viewed 3740 times
naga_myrmidon_bg.png
naga_myrmidon_bg.png (60.89 KiB) Viewed 3740 times
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I love it. I just can't shake this feeling of nagas being in house Harkonnen for some reason though...
maybe it's just me. :geek:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Committed the warrior/myrmidon.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Girgistian wrote:
fabi wrote:Swords aren't really very sharp. That would only lead to shattering.
Exactly, unless these guys know how to make carbon steel (and keep a sharpening kit with them). I do agree it's kind of a strange way to keep a weapon, but it seems probable that he'll play around with the blade since he's carrying it with him all the time. It's not like you need to be ready to use it at any split second.
Yeah, it's not strange at all.

And actually, many swords were only fully sharpened on a small 'sweet spot' of the blade, and the rest of it was only 'stage sharpened'. In fact the martial arts surrounding most western 2-handers was actually based on the assumption that the bottom foot or two of the blade, right above the hilt, wasn't sharp - people would reach over the hilt to grab further up on the blade and get leverage, and/or to add a second fulcrum so they could reverse the direction the blade was swinging in, and basically rotate the blade around a blocking opponent's weapon.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Many of them were leather-wrapped above the hilt, even ;)

In fact, quite a lot of western swords simply weren't that sharp in the first place - sharpening the blade until you can shave with it is pointless when you're immediately going to start bashing it against steel armour. The edge just wouldn't survive. Most big western swords from the heavy plate armour time frames were designed to cut with a lot of weight behind them, and were sharpened and designed to cut more like cleavers.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
kitty

Post by kitty »

This one is a nice little break from all my humanoids. And bats are so cute!

Still a wip, bla...
Attachments
bat01.png
bat01.png (168.11 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Kitty's random stuff: Bat!

The wings feel a little small compared to the head, parhaps. And the tail looks very rat-like, which I'm not used to in a bat.

And colouring concerns are probably minor, but (assuming you're doing one portrait for the whole bat line) this is most similar to the Dread Bat, where the Vampire and Blood Bats are more brownish. Perhas a different colour would be in order?