Insane Hermit (Artwork Thread)

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
wesfreak

Re: Insane Hermit (Artwork Thread)

Post by wesfreak »

the nature warrior is good, iserp. i don't find it too dark at all. maybe it should be more leafy, considering it has leaf blades? or we could use a wose (i know an extremely leafy, non mainline wose somewhere on this forum)

and i took a shot at a fire warrior. i tried taking another fire elemental, from a different elemental line (the one with the summoners) and recoloring that, but it didn't use rgb coloring so i couldn't. instead i used a recoloured ice shell. i also did one that matched the others.

sorry that the bits that i tried erasing on the ice shell aren't fully erased. i trust it's in your ability to fix though.
Attachments
water warrior 2.png
water warrior 2.png (2.2 KiB) Viewed 4248 times
water warrior.png
water warrior.png (3.16 KiB) Viewed 4247 times
ael193

Post by ael193 »

all good so far
EvilEarl
Location: It's not like you will ever find me, so I won't take the effort to remember where I am.

Post by EvilEarl »

I have diagnosed myself as artistically inept with my image editor.

I have attempted to create a sprite for a unit introduced in my epilogue. It is called the Bonesphere Cannon. What it basically is made of is a sort of large, hollow and spherical bone structure similar to my attempt.
Good art if it was drawn by a monkey.
Good art if it was drawn by a monkey.
bonespherecannon.png (3.58 KiB) Viewed 3977 times
The red dots are the eyes made of intense flame. The second part are two arms which are like the bones in a human arm but where the hand should be is a hollow bone cylinder that is used for shooting fireballs (this unit is designed to have control of fire).
Here is my crappy depiction of the arm and cannon.
I drug-tested myself after drawing this (not really).
I drug-tested myself after drawing this (not really).
bonespherecannon-arm.png (3.56 KiB) Viewed 3977 times
My main concern is the cannon as I cannot figure out a way to do that. To give a proper visual, the front and back ends are circles of bone which are connected by slightly curved bones (top of curve to be 45 degrees to base as a general estimate, but not required to be exact).

The final touch is the whole thing is given an aura of fire around it. Also and inverted conical flame comes from the bottom to act as thrust and allow it to levitate. I can probably do that part on my own but you are free to try.

And for arm placement, probably about the middle of the back half of the image, with the other arm partially behind the body.
I will gladly appreciate help with this.
Please tell me if I need to revise the descriptions.

Also, here is the sprite of the skeletal dragon. The art style of the bones was what I was shooting for.
From the wesnoth core data.
From the wesnoth core data.
skeletal-dragon.png (1.54 KiB) Viewed 3977 times
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
That second campaign will probably become a book instead, or a movie or a game or something. Sorry guys.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

I'd like to place dibs on making a replacement. The unit concept interests me and I'd be happy to try my hand at the graphic.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The major issue I can currently see, stylistic troubles aside, with your bone-arm thing, is that the upper arm has only one bone, not two. It will look strange otherwise.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
EvilEarl
Location: It's not like you will ever find me, so I won't take the effort to remember where I am.

Post by EvilEarl »

Zerovirus wrote:I'd like to place dibs on making a replacement. The unit concept interests me and I'd be happy to try my hand at the graphic.
I've seen your work with the steelhive faction and I would be glad if you would do this.
Just be warned that part 2 of my campaign (not under development yet) will feature the entire faction it is from, although I should be able to make the others if I have one image for base and style reference.
thespaceinvader wrote:The major issue I can currently see, stylistic troubles aside, with your bone-arm thing, is that the upper arm has only one bone, not two. It will look strange otherwise.
The whole thing looks strange with my art style. I can't help it (even though I wish I could).
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
That second campaign will probably become a book instead, or a movie or a game or something. Sorry guys.
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

EvilEarl wrote:The whole thing looks strange with my art style. I can't help it (even though I wish I could).
Thing is, it's not about style, it's about general anatomy. The human upper arm has only one bone, the forearm has two. Reference.
For the dark gods!
EvilEarl

Post by EvilEarl »

Oh, that was what thespaceinvader was talking about. Doesn't change the fact that I couldn't draw the cannon properly even if my life depended on it.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

I finished ye a bonesphere cannon of great bone-ness and fire-ness.
Attachments
Couldn't fit in the firy eyes.
Couldn't fit in the firy eyes.
Bonesphere Cannon.PNG (1.76 KiB) Viewed 3896 times
solsword
Code Contributor

Post by solsword »

That looks really good, but one issue is that the fire is too *behind* the skeleton. If a few wisps of flame were directed in front of the bones, it would look like the bones were on fire, but because *all* of the bones (except the very tip of the left cannon) are in front of the fire, it just looks like there happens to be a fire right behind the guy.

Of course, the fire looks good, as do the bones. I think this will become an awesome sprite.
The Knights of the Silver Spire campaign.

http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~pmawhorter - my website.

Teamcolors for everyone! PM me for a teamcolored version of your sprite, or you can do it yourself. If you just happen to like magenta, no hard feelings?
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Weeelll then. Sure, why not. Flames are fun to draw anyways. They're chaotic enough that any random scribbling looks good.
Attachments
Left one is the original, Right one is the new burning one
Left one is the original, Right one is the new burning one
Bonesphere Cannon.PNG (2.72 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
EvilEarl

Post by EvilEarl »

Excellent! That looks better than my original idea! I took the liberty of adding the eyes.
Pure evil!
Pure evil!
Bonesphere Cannon.PNG (2.88 KiB) Viewed 3883 times
One of the key features of the unit is that some of the flame is used as thrust to let it fly. An upside-down cone of flame in the area I shaded in orange should get that effect.
Doesn't have to be exact.
Doesn't have to be exact.
BonesphereCannon.PNG (4.2 KiB) Viewed 3883 times
And as a final request before I finish this unit for part 1, I would like a ranged attack animation. Something like one of the cannons being engulfed in flames (direction doesn't have to be specific, but if the arms retract slightly from the kickback that helps it look omnidirectional). I only need one frame and I am just going to use the fireball projectile.

EDIT: The arm on the left looks like a warped bone, maybe it would look better if an elbow showed?
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
EvilEarl

Post by EvilEarl »

On second thought, I don't the the flame cone is necessary, as for something to be powerful enough to control fire like that should be able to levitate on its own.

Before I implement the picture, I need some help. I don't know how to use GIMP to give the sprite a transparent background. Any advice?
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Add an alpha channel (Layer > Transparency > Add alpha channel), select the bits you don't want (if the background colour isn't used anywhere else, use shift+o to select by colour, if not, use freehand select) than delete. Easy.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.