Guardian Order Art Thread

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
xbriannova

Guardian Order Art Thread

Post by xbriannova »

I've been putting my artwork in the campaign thread, but I figured it to be disorganised. From now on, everything related to images will be dumped here. I will try to restrict myself to putting the latest of my artworks here.

Disclaimer: I do not own the original template, and therefore I take no credit for the unit art here. The modifications I could take limit credit, but not the template. Also, I know the flag and armour of the Guardian Order units resemble that of the 1st, 2nd or 3rd crusades, but they are not made to reflect that. Sorry for offending any muslims. For further information, the black cross is symbolical to deny evil entry to whatever the Guardian Order is protecting. The white represents all that is good. Here's everything I've made:
A recolor and retexturing of the Longbowman to give his armor a more high-quality silver/steel look. Also, I've managed to give him a white cloth with the Guardian Order insignia.
A recolor and retexturing of the Longbowman to give his armor a more high-quality silver/steel look. Also, I've managed to give him a white cloth with the Guardian Order insignia.
order_archer.png (1.57 KiB) Viewed 4999 times
unit description: To complement their core infantries, the Guardian Order trains her own archers as well. Instructed by the gifted, these archers are far from perfect, but are still of excellent quality compared to the kind of bowmen employed by the many earldoms of men.
I've managed to use the body of a Sergeant and the head of a Swordsman to create the Order Crossbowman. As usual, his armor is remade to represent high-quality steel armor as Guardian Order soldiers are meant to be better in every way compared to the average Wesnothian warrior.
I've managed to use the body of a Sergeant and the head of a Swordsman to create the Order Crossbowman. As usual, his armor is remade to represent high-quality steel armor as Guardian Order soldiers are meant to be better in every way compared to the average Wesnothian warrior.
order_crossbowman.png (1.24 KiB) Viewed 5000 times
unit description: Amongst Wesnothian armies, the crossbow was not seen as a fitting weapon for infantries due to the complex warfare against other races and themselves. It was however, more of tradition and old-thinking leadership that prevented the crossbow from being distributed to foot soldiers. The Guardian Order was able to transcend this limitation, and has started to field crossbowmen.

Despite being slow to reload, the crossbow do has its advantages- such as a higher penetrating power and a longer range. Moreover, it would take but a little more than several weeks for a man to be familiar with the crossbow while, unless one is an elf, it would take years upon years of exhaustive drilling to master the bow.
Basically a recolor of the Swordsman with the mandatory Order chest cloth.
Basically a recolor of the Swordsman with the mandatory Order chest cloth.
order_infantry.png (1.34 KiB) Viewed 5001 times
unit description: Trained in the well-funded barracks of the Guardian Order, the Order Infantry is the Guardian Order's rank-and-file infantry, but this is not to mean they are of mediocre quality- They are perhaps one of the best kind of soldiers fielded by men, exceptionally lethal on the offense as well as defense. They are hard to rid of, but expensive as well.

An 'average' Order Infantry is very well trained in the arts of war, particularly in the art of swordfighting. Their skill is focused on exhibiting grace, agility as well as power and strength in the use of blades. As a result, they are lethal when a melee exchange has taken place, being able to deliver blows quickly with precision, wisdom and force. This is very unlike the other schools of swordsmanship, that relies on brute force primarily.
A reimagining of the Pikeman. In the Order, they are the Phalanx. Made to fit in with the rest of the army.
A reimagining of the Pikeman. In the Order, they are the Phalanx. Made to fit in with the rest of the army.
order_phalanx.png (1.59 KiB) Viewed 5001 times
unit description: The Phalanx is a distinctively Guardian Order innovation, a battle tactic that is a step up from the kind used with spears or pikes. While similar to the pike formation used by the numerous polearmed army of Wesnoth, the Phalanx has several differences that made it superior. For one, each individual Phalanx soldier within this Order formation is trained to tighten his grip upon his pike, and when necessary, bury the blunt end of his pike into the soil for further support. They were drilled to produce more frequent stabbing motions when up against non-charging adversaries. In summary, it all boils down to the technique of handling a pike as well as the amount of training.

Another notable difference between the Phalanx trained by the Order and that which is employed by the many barons, dukes and lords of Wesnoth is that each Phalanx soldier himself is an able fighter in terms of single combat. Normal pikemen rely on their fellow men for success on the field of battle, and should their position be broken, the entire cohort could easily be dispersed or killed off.

The Order Phalanx represents the heavy element of the Guardian Order infantry forces- they are normally more thoroughly armored than other infantries within the protective order, and are grilled to take even more punishment. Each stab and slash of their pike could gravely wound an average soldier, if not kill him.
The very first cavalry unit I've made for the Order, called the Cataphract. Made to fit in with the rest of the army. I've yet to add the chest cloth, as it's hard to do so.
The very first cavalry unit I've made for the Order, called the Cataphract. Made to fit in with the rest of the army. I've yet to add the chest cloth, as it's hard to do so.
order_cataphract.png (1.82 KiB) Viewed 5000 times
unit description: Order Cataphracts are essentially mounted soldiers clad in thick armor who, in other armies, would surely forego such luxury as they are neither nobles nor knights. Similarly, the steed is well armored and bred of stamina, endurance and raw, physical power. The Cataphract was conceived as both a replacement of the typical light cavalry soldiers employed by Wesnothian governments as well as the knight- normal cavalrymen are simply too susceptible to anything with a pointy end while knights require a complex initiation program that would have taken more than a decade.

The Cataphract's main tactic is focused on literally slamming through enemy formations with the combined weight of both men and horses clad in high quality, thick and heavy armor. Like any other good mounted army however, they could simply unsheath their sword and join in a melee- for which they have plenty of opportunity to do, usually after their initial charge. More often than not however, a single, devestating charge would have been enough to break the foe, massacre them or both.

Critiques?
Current Projects:

UMC Campaign Guardian Order.
Main Campaign Thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26895
Art Thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 28&start=0
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Guardian Order Art Thread

Post by thespaceinvader »

xbriannova wrote:Disclaimer: I do not own the original template, and therefore I take no credit for the unit art here. The modifications I could take limit credit, but not the template.
Everything from Wesnoth is under the GPL, you really don't need to say this. However, any modifications you make to them are by extension also GPL. It sounds like you need to do a bit of research as to what this means.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
ODDity

Post by ODDity »

I like them.

My first time using GIMP so just for kicks I tried to add the chest cloth on the cavalry unit.

just thought I'd share, I still don't know what I'm doing. :P
Attachments
order_cataphract.png
order_cataphract.png (3.04 KiB) Viewed 4981 times
xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

thespaceinvader wrote:
xbriannova wrote:Disclaimer: I do not own the original template, and therefore I take no credit for the unit art here. The modifications I could take limit credit, but not the template.
Everything from Wesnoth is under the GPL, you really don't need to say this. However, any modifications you make to them are by extension also GPL. It sounds like you need to do a bit of research as to what this means.
My apologies Senor, I've always been a cautious person and I know this is open sourced but... Never can be too careful now can you? I'm always afraid something would happen, something related to copyright or something.
ODDity wrote:I like them.

My first time using GIMP so just for kicks I tried to add the chest cloth on the cavalry unit.

just thought I'd share, I still don't know what I'm doing. :P
My my that looks kinda good :) I won't use this but you've inspired me. The cross on your edit of my Order Cataphract is well done, but the cross is too thin. What you did is that you've given me a direction to work towards. I've always been confused regarding where his chest is facing but thanks for clearing it up :) I think I'll get to work once I'm done with the Guardian flags.
Last edited by xbriannova on August 4th, 2009, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Projects:

ODDity

Post by ODDity »

:) yeah, I think his chest is facing more or less the same forward direction as the horse.

Cheers
xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

ODDity wrote::) yeah, I think his chest is facing more or less the same forward direction as the horse.

Cheers
Thanks haha. Hope to add that cloth onto him soon. Poor guy's being left out of the Order. As if it isn't tough enough being the only cavalry so far.
Current Projects:

Lord Ork
Code Contributor

Post by Lord Ork »

xbriannova wrote: My apologies Senor, I've always been a cautious person and I know this is open sourced but... Never can be too careful now can you? I'm always afraid something would happen, something related to copyright or something.
You don't need to apology, since no one has said you did wrong. TSI just gently gave you some tip so you don't have to live with fear again. He also clarified which licensing applies to your derivated work. Just in case, I'm still not saying you have said something wrong, but giving you more gentle advice.
It is ok to correct me if my English is too bad.

Working on Cunnicula Civil War
xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

Lord Ork wrote:
xbriannova wrote: My apologies Senor, I've always been a cautious person and I know this is open sourced but... Never can be too careful now can you? I'm always afraid something would happen, something related to copyright or something.
You don't need to apology, since no one has said you did wrong. TSI just gently gave you some tip so you don't have to live with fear again. He also clarified which licensing applies to your derivated work. Just in case, I'm still not saying you have said something wrong, but giving you more gentle advice.
It sure doesn't sound gentle just now. VVV
It sounds like you need to do a bit of research as to what this means.
But then again I think it's just me being tired.
Current Projects:

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Tone on the internet is difficult to read ;)

I wasn't being hard on you, just giving you some neutral advice =)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Lord Ork
Code Contributor

Post by Lord Ork »

Please rest a little, assume good faith, and read again what TSI posted. You can't find nothing objectively rude.

He supposes for your questions that you, as 80% of people I know, don't know what GPL implies, so he give you a suggestion.

You shouldn't confuse direct style with rudeness. It happens here from time to time that new people fall in this confusion. Trust me, TSI is a nice guy that often helps newbies, so he didn't mean to be harsh. So you should appreciate his help, for he has invested his time clarifying some terms in which you seemed to have doubts.

PS- Oh, I see TSI has already explained himself, this time with friendly emoticons.
It is ok to correct me if my English is too bad.

Working on Cunnicula Civil War
xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

Hmm okay. I wasn't confused in anyway though. But thanks. Expect more images to come from me soon. :)
Current Projects:

xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

More art is being made. Enjoy! The greatest progress so far is that the Swordsman is now animated, albeit with a few frames missing and without idle animations.
Okay, 2nd generation Order Cataphract inspired by ODDity. The difference between his Cataphract and mine is that the cross is bigger is all. Welcome to the club, Mr. Cataphract!
Okay, 2nd generation Order Cataphract inspired by ODDity. The difference between his Cataphract and mine is that the cross is bigger is all. Welcome to the club, Mr. Cataphract!
order_cataphract.png (1.71 KiB) Viewed 4830 times
The Order Infantry defending himself
The Order Infantry defending himself
order_infantry-defend.png (1.33 KiB) Viewed 4830 times
...And him attacking an unfortunate victim who happens to catch his attention. Ouch!
...And him attacking an unfortunate victim who happens to catch his attention. Ouch!
order_infantry-attack-2.png (1.16 KiB) Viewed 4828 times
My goal for now is to animate all units, in addition to create art for any new units that might come along as I further plan how the Guardian Order army is supposed to be like.
Current Projects:

Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

I'm not sure what the official vocabulary is for this, but the disparity between light and dark tones is too great. You have all these almost pure white highlights and then some dark shadows. Add some more midtone gray colors. I can see you have them, but the highlights are too large and take up too much area.
xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

Zerovirus wrote:I'm not sure what the official vocabulary is for this, but the disparity between light and dark tones is too great. You have all these almost pure white highlights and then some dark shadows. Add some more midtone gray colors. I can see you have them, but the highlights are too large and take up too much area.
Hmm... I'm not exactly 100% sure of what you mean, but I think I can roughly tell what you're trying to say. It's meant to be that way. I'm trying to make their armor shine more. What I did is that I increased the contrast by 25%. If it's any lower it'd be too dull and their armor would appear dirty, used with an Iron-like look. By doing this, I was able to simulate a glint on their armor pieces which makes their armor look like it's made of high-quality steel, well polished and maintained. It emphasizes the discipline, quality nature of the Guardian Order and it works for me.

Thanks for your input though. I'd take that into consideration. I might change my opinion in the future.

EDIT: Hmm... I think I might just experiment with the contrast. I might be able to find a good middle ground. The beauty of my unit images is not exactly optimised yet. I just found 25% to be great and I kinda stuck with it. I might experiment more.

DOUBLE EDIT: I might as well put it here. It's midnight and I decided to try the supermassive Frankenpack and it turned out great! I tried creating an undead Order Infantry, and this is how it looks like...
1st Generation Skeletal Order Infantry. Basically an undead counterpart of the Order Infantry. I did this just for fun... But then again, I might actually use this... Who knows? Made with the Supermassive Frankenpack and with my editing skills.
1st Generation Skeletal Order Infantry. Basically an undead counterpart of the Order Infantry. I did this just for fun... But then again, I might actually use this... Who knows? Made with the Supermassive Frankenpack and with my editing skills.
skeletal_order_infantry.png (1.43 KiB) Viewed 4739 times
Current Projects:

Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

The legs are mismatched for a perfectly logical reason I'm hoping. The chest's cross is too... straight. It doesn't imply any puffed-out ness like in a normal human chest. The cross's perfectly straight lines make it look a bit flat, like someone taped a piece of cardboard painted with a white and black cross to his torso armor. Also, his proportions look.. Stumpy. The limbs are a bit too short in appearance but I'm not sure what the exact problem is.