Campaign: An Ordinary Adventure

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

KKSlider

Campaign: An Ordinary Adventure

Post by KKSlider »

Here we go. Ok, I just started this yesterday and I'm still beta-testing it, however, I'm anticipating the main things I'm putting into it.

Story and Overall concept (still under construction):
As a first campaign to be developed by me (along side a buddy that should register today), I've chosen to start with a simple one. You know, less than 10 scenarios, simple story, simple tasks, the use of default units, and such. The main goal of this campaign, however, is to amuse the player with hilarious situations, because personally I think that maybe it would be less annoying/boring and more captivating for the average Wesnothian public, who doesn't want complicated storylines but it just wants to relax a bit.

Said this, let's move ahead with the story.
Sannoth, our hero, is a Human from the Kingdom of Aldonea, whose main goal is to proove his worth on the battlefield. This, until he discovers that about every single person he had fight along with, vowes to take his head once and for all. Only a few partners, including Muir (a human Mage that initially hates, yet supports the protagonist) and Elgrean (a retired Elf general), will clash with the final foes and having thus vengeance over the traitors.

Characters:
Sannoth, a jovial rookie Sergeant who seeks fame and glory;
Muir, a cunning, sarcastic Mage whose main goal is to protect Sannoth for the rest of his journey;
Major Arnott Grandia Maselton, a High General of Aldonea's Royal Army and Sannoth's mentor;
Captain Ylòng Herald, an Elvish captain with a nice speech and noble personality;
Elgrean, a retired Elvish general whose grace and lethality were equal to nobody before him;
Kralex, an Orcish general;
Nekrosys, a Necromancer.

Scenarios:
Number of complete scenarios available - 1 out of 7 (8 in total)
- 01, Just Another Day. A training session with Major Maselton.
- 02, Reinforcements. Sannoth and Muir must help Captain Herald (an Elvish general and ally of humans) to achieve victory against an Orcish raid.
- 03, Rumbling Winter. Same map as before, but on winter. Situation has changed, and this time Sannoth and Herald are on the northern side, fighting against Human rebels and outlaws.
- 04, Going Undead - Sannoth and Muir are facing a strange, yet not totally surprising alliance composed by Orcs and Undead. At the end of the struggle, something's wrong with the whole plot, and Muir warns Sannoth to watch his back furtherly.
- 05, Betrayal - Muir was right, and both Loyalists and Elves were plotting against the heroes to dispose him from the Army, as they're considered as a threat for their people. Now, Sannoth, which gained the sympathy of Elgrean (a retired Elvish general, disguised as a rebel, that escaped from the woods), must fight between both forces of Evil and Good.
- 06, Join the Dark Side! - Surprisingly enough, Sannoth gained more sympathy from the Evil forces (Orcs and Undead, supported by the neutral Dwarves) and they made a temporarily alliance in order to kick Humans out of their territory and thus winning the war. Now, Sannoth and Muir must decide whatever faction are going to eventually side along.
- 07, Grand Finale A - Our heroes are taking vengeance over their former allies, and they fight against Evil. At the end of everything, they're willing to live a life of solitude, away any form of conflict or war.
- 07, Grand Finale B - This time, the medal is shifted. Sannoth and Muir are on the "good side" and they fight against Evil. Sannoth forgives them, and salutes the Orcs for being totally cool and br00tal, just like his favorite Orcish superhero. Muir then founds a School of Red Magic in Aldonea, in order to support Sannoth in his later campaigns.

Art style:
Art for this campaign will almost regard the main characters' portrait. They must be cartoon-like with emoticon faces, not classic Wesnothian style.
I'll handle that one xD

That's all for now, I'll add more details and a preview file on the next post. Stay tuned ;)

Oh, the campaign may contain offensive terms, censored by the classic "***"

PS: Trivia - Sannoth is a tribute to Samoth, a Black Metal artist, while Muir is a tribute to Bill Muir who made the Metal song "Otherworld" for Final Fantasy X.
Last edited by KKSlider on July 31st, 2009, 10:54 am, edited 8 times in total.
"I love humanity, but I just can't stand people"

Current project(s): Campaign - An Ordinary Adventure
Sono Italiano, se servono traduzioni contattatemi (con calma, e in fila indiana XD).
Quietus
Art Contributor

Re: Campaign: An Ordinary Adventure

Post by Quietus »

This should be moved to the Scenario/Campaign section :wink:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Ta daa!
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
KKSlider

Post by KKSlider »

Whoops! My bad XD

Guys, I got some troubles while running the campaign... or at least trying to. After many trials and fixes, I came to the conclusion that somehow the maps are bugged or something's in conflict with the map_data code. It seems that it doesn't recognize the map header. The campaign data loads, but he doesn't with the map.
Can someone figure it out?

Oh, the "Si è verificato un errore dovuto a WML probabilmente, ecc..." can be roughly translated as:
An error occured probably because of unvalid WML; The error message is:
Maps without header aren't supported
Attachments
An_Ordinary_Adventure.zip
AOA Campaign files
(18.31 KiB) Downloaded 423 times

Sono Italiano, se servono traduzioni contattatemi (con calma, e in fila indiana XD).
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

KKSlider wrote:Guys, I got some troubles while running the campaign... or at least trying to. After many trials and fixes, I came to the conclusion that somehow the maps are bugged or something's in conflict with the map_data code. It seems that it doesn't recognize the map header. The campaign data loads, but he doesn't with the map.
You put the map header in with the first row of map data. Add two line breaks and it'll work.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
KKSlider

Post by KKSlider »

Great, it works now. :D
In around a couple of minutes I'll post the fixed files.

EDIT: Ok, first scenario ready (text and main events only). Moving onto the next.
EDIT 2, renegade: First two scenarios complete. Still looking for some typos/mistakes. Adding images only when 80% of the work is done.
Attachments
Download this now, not the below .zip file.
(17.5 KiB) Downloaded 457 times
Fixxxed XD
(18.29 KiB) Downloaded 398 times

KKSlider

Post by KKSlider »

First things first, sorry for the double posting... I know the campaign is still under development and thus it ain't got much attention, but I can't edit nor update 1000 times the same post. :P

Ok, I got more or less a better idea of the whole storyline, which will cover 7 scenarios of the final adventure. I'll update the first post, since it describes the overall concept of the project, but I'll write the "news" here below nonetheless.

- 03, Rumbling Winter (Update) - Herald will not take a part in this scenario. Instead, will appear on the grand finale. Read on...
- 04, Going Undead - Sannoth and Muir are facing a strange, yet not totally surprising alliance composed by Orcs and Undead. At the end of the struggle, something's wrong with the whole plot, and Muir warns Sannoth to watch his back furtherly.
- 05, Betrayal - Muir was right, and both Loyalists and Elves were plotting against the heroes to dispose him from the Army, as they're considered as a threat for their people. Now, Sannoth, which gained the sympathy of Elgrean (a retired Elvish general, disguised as a rebel, that escaped from the woods), must fight between both forces of Evil and Good.
- 06, Join the Dark Side! - Surprisingly enough, Sannoth gained more sympathy from the Evil forces (Orcs and Undead, supported by the neutral Dwarves) and they made a temporarily alliance in order to kick Humans out of their territory and thus winning the war. Now, Sannoth and Muir must decide whatever faction are going to eventually side along.
- 07, Grand Finale A - Our heroes are siding with their former allies, and they fight against Evil. Sannoth forgives them, and salutes the Orcs for being totally cool and br00tal, just like his favorite Orcish superhero. Muir then founds a School of Red Magic in Aldonea, in order to support Sannoth in his later campaigns.
- 07, Grand Finale B - This time, the medal is shifted. Sannoth and Muir are on the "dark side" and they're taking vengeance over their former allies. At the end of everything, they're willing to live a life of solitude, away any form of conflict or war.

Edits: Still working on the first two scenarios, but I'm opting to move on. I'm having trouble in running the second scenario, it seems that the game found some "illegal characters" while mapping the map data (which I found to be strange, unless there's really an unwanted character).
Attachments
Version ?.?:
- First scenario complete (text only);
- Second scenario complete (text only, WML problems).
(41.13 KiB) Downloaded 389 times

melinath

Post by melinath »

Illegal characters is probably custom terrains from another campaign. Be careful to only use the default Wesnoth terrains. Or you could learn how to add custom terrains for your campaign.
I don't really feel like downloading a file... (I'm a very lazy person.) Any chances of this going up on the add-on server?
KKSlider

Post by KKSlider »

melinath wrote:Illegal characters is probably custom terrains from another campaign. Be careful to only use the default Wesnoth terrains. Or you could learn how to add custom terrains for your campaign.
Probably that could be a solution, I'll give it a try.
melinath wrote:I don't really feel like downloading a file... (I'm a very lazy person.) Any chances of this going up on the add-on server?
Lol, if you're talking about being lazy then be my guest... By the way, that's the main purpose of this project.
I wouldn't have posted anything here, nor having registered, if my campaign weren't server-destinated.

EDIT: Ok, not much to say, but I managed to fix a few bugs and to let scenario #2 work correctly. The main scenario structure is added (only the file names :lol2: ), and I'm willing to complete them as soon as possibile, in order to publish at least a 0.1 version. When everything's complete, version 1.0 will finally be released.
The first two scenarios are available for a preview. If you're willing to fix some typos I'll be more than glad to credit your work, 'cos my English may not be perfect in any way.
Attachments
- Scenario #2 working correctly
- Minor changes to both scenarios
(41.12 KiB) Downloaded 380 times

KKSlider

Post by KKSlider »

Ok, it's been a while since the last post... enough time to get this thread buried within the second page in less than a week. xD

Good news are that I managed to let the fourth scenario work correctly. (yay! ^^)
After researching lots of possible WML combos on both wiki and boards, I can finally say that every event in there works (thanks melinath for the sighted event trick XD). Moving onto the other 4.
A preview of the campaign is already downloadable on the add-on server with the first four scenarios 100% working.
Attachments
- Some recruits on the third scenario aren't available anymore, as they're recruitable after
- 4th scenario available
(44.79 KiB) Downloaded 389 times
Last edited by KKSlider on July 9th, 2009, 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

alextit

Post by alextit »

cool I am going to try ^^ :mrgreen: :mrgreen: all am in English?? :annoyed: :annoyed:
KKSlider

Post by KKSlider »

Yes, it is only available in English for now. I'll personally translate it in Italian once the textual work is done, and then it'll be moved to the WesCamp, in order to be translated in other languages.

I hope you'll find it fun to play :D

alextit

Post by alextit »

ok it is tres well ^^ 2 it props villain with the river lol

otherwise I am made in to be 5
alextit

Post by alextit »

evilsh driad problem I am not on my ordinatateur therefore not of screen
KKSlider

Post by KKSlider »

Try downloading it again from the add-on server... I'm keeping updating it over and over, once every scenario is 100% playable for sure. Otherwise, it's just a matter of time, no need to worry.

The 4th scenario should work fine now. The only thing I still didn't figure out is why Elgrean isn't able to recruit when the "canrecruit" tag is true. Hmm...