WHAT TO DO if you can't beat a scenario in a campaign:

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Unlucky Wizard

Re: WHAT TO DO if you can't beat a scenario in a campaign:

Post by Unlucky Wizard »

Elvish Pillager wrote:First, if it's from an official campaign (Or The Dark Hordes, which was once official), the Wiki page has many walkthroughs on those scenarios.
Me1234 wrote:okay, the link that elvish pillager gave to the wiki takes me to a page that says MainLine campaign. the page cannot be found, you can search for it or edit it. is there an alternate link that takes me to a place where i can get help with mainline??
It should be:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/MainlineCampaigns

In case anyone needs it.

I propose adding a redirect from MainlineScenarios to MainlineCampaigns in the wiki.
Aaah, I'm seeing hexagons everywhere!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Unlucky Wizard wrote:I propose adding a redirect from MainlineScenarios to MainlineCampaigns in the wiki.
Thank you Unlucky Wizard for the catch, and no need. I changed the link in the first post.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
AThousandYoung

Re:

Post by AThousandYoung »

Spanner wrote:One thing I noticed is that when you finish a scenario there's an option to save replay that wipes out all your autosaves. I never accept, because I'm afraid that I will need to replay a scenario.....
I think you keep the start of the scenario even if you erase the replays.
Groan

Post by Groan »

One of my big problems is that I dont know how many units to buy or if to spend more money in recall 3 lvl units, or just get new ones.

I guess is a matter of get used to it, and knowing to read a map.

Anyone?
AThousandYoung

Post by AThousandYoung »

Groan wrote:One of my big problems is that I dont know how many units to buy or if to spend more money in recall 3 lvl units, or just get new ones.

Anyone?
I am just learning myself, but one rule of thumb I have developed is that if the terrain favors you, Recall mostly high level units, because you can more easily predict and control enemy movement if they don't like the terrain (e.g. the level in HttT in which your Elves are fighting Orcs in snow with lots of forests and mountains...Orcs are slow in snow). If there are a lot of enemies and no terrain advantage (e.g. Princess of Wesnoth), buy a lot of new troops, because there will be heavy losses.
scorchgeek

Post by scorchgeek »

Nice strategy about looking up levels up you put there. Guess what, you can't see what unit levels up to, before you actually level them up. Help file won't show it. Personally, I don't even know what the hell Shyde is.
You can visit http://www.wesnoth.org/units/ to see all the units. Or you could just start a new campaign, enable debug mode (type :debug) and then right-click on tiles and create every unit you want to be able to see the description for.

I suppose you could edit a configuration file somewhere to show all the descriptions too, but I haven't tried that.
If 'con' is the opposite of 'pro', what is the opposite of progress?
jmegner

Post by jmegner »

scorchgeek wrote:
Nice strategy about looking up levels up you put there. Guess what, you can't see what unit levels up to, before you actually level them up. Help file won't show it. Personally, I don't even know what the hell Shyde is.
You can visit http://www.wesnoth.org/units/ to see all the units. Or you could just start a new campaign, enable debug mode (type :debug) and then right-click on tiles and create every unit you want to be able to see the description for.

I suppose you could edit a configuration file somewhere to show all the descriptions too, but I haven't tried that.

The configuration file is called "preferences" and this post has information about getting the description of every unit quickly:

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 62#p360862
alextit

Post by alextit »

moi c'est pour les porte du SUD
la derniere j'ai beucoup de mal d'ailleurs j'en ais toujours mais bon c'est sur l'ordi de mes grand-parent c'etait ma deuxième campagne :lol2: :lol2:

les code sont interdis??
sorry I use a no translator
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

While I understand that French is your native language and your English might not be the best, I would ask you to please post in English.

You clearly understand it well enough that you read this thread and posted your feelings on the topic, but posting in French does not help anyone else due to the limited nature of who can read your text without using a translator.

Given the international nature of this forum, it allows everyone to understand each other.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
alextit

Post by alextit »

ok we had me tell to speak in French

ps (je dis en français dsl ) dite moi si le traducteur a encore mal marcher
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

For your particular question, yes, you were told to do so because it was unclear what you meant in English.

However, do post in English normally as otherwise most people cannot understand what you are saying.
alextit

Post by alextit »

ok sorry :?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Think of it this way. You have demonstrated that you can read well enough in English. You have another problem, and the problem and solution is all posted in French.

Someone else comes along with a similar issue, but they will never even see that you had the same problem because they cannot read French and would not know the thread was relevant enough to think to translate it. Not to mention that it becomes a hassle to hope the translator gets the words right so they can understand what is going on.
darkwraith007

Post by darkwraith007 »

*original post removed*
PizzaSHARK

Post by PizzaSHARK »

AThousandYoung wrote:
Groan wrote:One of my big problems is that I dont know how many units to buy or if to spend more money in recall 3 lvl units, or just get new ones.

Anyone?
I am just learning myself, but one rule of thumb I have developed is that if the terrain favors you, Recall mostly high level units, because you can more easily predict and control enemy movement if they don't like the terrain (e.g. the level in HttT in which your Elves are fighting Orcs in snow with lots of forests and mountains...Orcs are slow in snow). If there are a lot of enemies and no terrain advantage (e.g. Princess of Wesnoth), buy a lot of new troops, because there will be heavy losses.
Yup. If you have the gold to do so, buy a bunch of new troops and throw them at the enemy to slow them down - I'll buy a whole swarm of thieves and run them around to shield my weaker fighters (mages, archers, whatever.) The thieves will, most likely, get clobbered, but they're cheap and that's what I bought them for, anyway. They have to kill the thief to reach my archer (which means whichever unit had to stop and kill the thief is done for that turn), and while the thief is alive, they might not be able to reach my archer at all. This allows my archer (or mage, or whatever) the advantage of being able to attack on my next turn without having been forced to defend the previous turn.

If you're beating missions ahead of the turn limit and going after the secondary objectives, you'll more than likely be sitting on a sizable pile of gold - I know I usually start most missions with damn near 1,000. Turn that gold into trash units you can throw into the meatgrinder to soften up the enemy's forces prior to your real fighters stepping in to clean house.