Lots and Lots of Help?

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Soda

Lots and Lots of Help?

Post by Soda »

I've been playing Wesnoth for a short while and am very interested in faction/era creation, but fear that I don't have the know-how to get anything working.

So far I've got a wood elves faction ready and some modified units, but I don't know where to put them to give it a test. I'm using Ubuntu 9.04, which I'm not that familiar with so it's kind of a double whammy.

First newbie question, where does my era.cfg go to give it a try?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Lots and Lots of Help?

Post by thespaceinvader »

http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Soda

Post by Soda »

I've read up and down the wiki, frankly it doesn't teach, it just shows. It says to go to the "userdata/data/campaigns directory" but I can't find that. I found wesnoth/data/campaigns. I can't even locate the other add-ons I've downloaded.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Try EditingWesnoth

It might be a touch out of date in places though - if you're a windows user, you might find them in My Documents somewhere - try searching for .cfg files.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Soda

Post by Soda »

Ok, assuming that wesnoth/data/campaigns is what I'm looking for, it next says to "Create a text file called MyEra_MP_era.cfg" but that directory is locked.
melinath

Post by melinath »

you're running jaunty.
~ represents your home directory.
Your addons are in userdata. On your machine, this will be something like ~/.wesnoth. Every time the wiki uses 'userdata', it's referring to this directory. Are you familiar with hidden files? This folder is one. You can sometimes see hidden folders by default. For example, my preferred linux text editor (scite) automatically shows hidden folders when you're opening files (Of course, it also as default only shows html and js files. Super annoying.)
Another way of going about this is the locate command.

Code: Select all

> locate [one word of the add-on name]
This would let you see where your addons are. They're probably in ~/.wesnoth1.6.

In short: You probably found /usr/share/games/wesnoth, which you wouldn't have permission to write to. You're looking for ~/.wesnoth or ~/.wesnoth1.6 or some such.
Soda

Post by Soda »

Trying to do anything on linux ends up being hours of stress for me. :(
Huston

Post by Huston »

open your home folder. go to view>show hidden files
after the hidden files are being shown find the .wesnoth1.6 folder this is the equivalent of the userdata folder from the windows version. if you need any help or need me to explain better just pm me
coded Rebellion During the Dark Age
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
melinath

Post by melinath »

Soda wrote:Trying to do anything on linux ends up being hours of stress for me. :(
Don't worry! It gets better. After a while, you wonder how you could ever have used windows.
Soda

Post by Soda »

Thanks for all the help so far. I've got my era as an option in-game. Well actually it lists Soda Era as an option about 10 times, I don't know what's up with that. As in:
"Default
Balanced Era
Soda Era
Soda Era
Soda Era
Soda Era"

But it plays. The custom units (elvish trapper and wose sapling) aren't showing up as recruitables. There's just no name or picture and it says "0 gold". Neither is the the elvish trapper showing up as a leader choice. There's a blank spot for him to be there, but it just says ?.

I'll upload what I have so far, if anyone is kind enough to look for my mistakes. Once I get this faction down, I'm sure it'll be relatively smooth sailing.
Attachments
Soda_MP_era.zip
(99.59 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
melinath

Post by melinath »

The ids that you've listed in SodaEra.cfg don't match the unit type ids you're trying to access. Thus, not a leader choice and not recruitable. i.e. change Elvish Trapper to Elvish Trapper-l. Also, I don't know if this is what's causing the repetition problem, but your main.cfg file is currently including *itself*, which I imagine could have that effect. Try removing the line:

Code: Select all

{@campaigns/Soda_MP_era/}
It includes everything in that directory, including main.cfg. The only thing you need to include is SodaEra.cfg, which you're including with a separate line anyway.
Also, cosmetic thing: you're including the units directory and the elves-wood directory in main.cfg. The units directory is empty, but adding each faction will make your main.cfg pretty crowded. Instead, maybe put the line about including elves-wood in a separate file in the units directory. You could give each faction a separate file and then include race information as well (compare to IftU) or make one file that references all the factions at once (sort of like BEEM).
Soda

Post by Soda »

Thanks, I already found the unit id problem and fixed it, but had to run before I could post.
Try removing the line:
{@campaigns/Soda_MP_era/}
Worked perfectly, thanks.