Modern Combat: 1.0.1 Released!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PsychoticKittens

Modern Combat: 1.0.1 Released!

Post by PsychoticKittens »

Modern Combat is an era involving Infantry, Vehicles, Aircraft, Naval, and Missile units of around the Post-Cold War military era.

We have minor amounts of Research, Basic Diplomacy, and reliance on the Strategy of Countering your enemies units. Yes, we even have the blasphemy of Nukes.

Beta testing on a heavily coded World Map planned to start Next Week or the week After. (not quite sure though.)

Don't expect it to be a fast game (the map is huge), nor a balanced era. It IS going to be beta.

I'm open to questions.

Edit: I forgot to mention that we have Real Ranged for units like Artillery, Rocket Artillery, Missile Platforms, Battleships, Etc.

I'll unveil a unit image via my avatar each day Unit May 31.
May-24: Paratrooper
May-25: Sniper
May-26: Jeep
May-27: Light Tank
May-28: Chopper
May-29: Fighter
May-30: Destroyer
May-31: Submarine (Whoops, can't do this one.)
Last edited by PsychoticKittens on July 22nd, 2013, 12:05 am, edited 32 times in total.
Creator of: Mercenaries Era; Modern Combat
Future Projects: Faunima: Land of Monsters
Temporarily Dropped Projects: Zombie Horde
TheGreatRings

Re: Modern Combat

Post by TheGreatRings »

More information would always be nice. Sounds good though.

I am very curious as to how you plan to handle nukes though.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
PsychoticKittens

Well, there are four missiles. Most of the reason Research was added was because of Nukes.

They're horridly expencive, as well as the slowest missile, but can kill a maximum of 6 units in one go (instantaneously). They're easy to counter,though, if the other guy is using anti-air weapons or AA missiles from Silos. They also destroy terrain (thusly turning a village into a pile of rubbish completely unusable). So they're pretty extreme. As a whole they're more of a "slap in the face" weapon for utterly destroying the other persons confidence.

Anything else you'd like to know?

Edit: Along with AA missiles, the other 3 are Ballistic and ICBM. Ballistic being short-range and ICBM being something of a Mini Nuke.
Last edited by PsychoticKittens on June 22nd, 2009, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Nah, I'll wait till the era comes. What I'm wondering about nuclear weapons, though, is how will you have weapons that kill multiple units at a time? I didn't know that was possible in Wesnoth. I presume you can fire across multiple spaces as well?
The X-files

PsychoticKittens

We have alot of special code specifically for the era and map. You can probly check out some of the ones that were too hard for me to do without nagging other people if you look in the WML workshop.

its not as hard as it looks if you know WML (which I don't, very well) But I do my best, usually.
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

The Great Rings wrote:Nah, I'll wait till the era comes. What I'm wondering about nuclear weapons, though, is how will you have weapons that kill multiple units at a time? I didn't know that was possible in Wesnoth. I presume you can fire across multiple spaces as well?
You simply use a [kill] tag, filter for adjacent units, and set animate= and fire_event= to yes.
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.
PsychoticKittens

First open info release on units.

To give a modern feel units don't generally become something "different" when they advance, and instead become "veteran" and then "elite" having different ellipses to help tell apart skill.

Theres 36 units in the Beta, heres the Infantry:

Infantry are level 0's who can be recruited in multiples (1, 2, or 4 from a Barracks.)

Militia are the cheapest unit you can get, frail, weak, and barely useful. Most of what you do with these guys is stand on villages.

Infantry are the mainstay of every army. ready to shoot anything infront of them, your "units lost" count for these guys will be pretty high.

Commandos are fast and evasive, they're rather good at fighting infantry, and are armed with frag grenades that deal shrapnel-damage.

Snipers are sneaky and accurate. They deal huge damage to infantry, and can generally kill one in two shots. They're also the only infantry with a long ranged attack, and can pick off other infantry from far away while hidden by their ghillie suits.

Anti-Armor are probly the most powerful infantry available. Armed with not only anti-tank rockets, but anti-air javelin missiles. They can take down most kinds of enemies with two shots. Unfortunatly they only shoot once. They're not too fast on their feet because of the heavy weapons they carry, but they're a must for someone that wants to use lots of infantry.

Medics are what you would expect. Guys that can heal other infantry.

Officers give leadership of 1 level above their own level. That means a level 1 officer can give leadership to tanks. Too bad they're recruited at level 0.

Desert-Ops are infantry that are trained to fight in sandy and hilly terrain. While not as powerful as veteran infantry, they're much faster on their feety in the vast arid regions of the world.

Polar-Ops are infantry that are trained to fight in the cold, frozen northern and southern areas. They're almost a must for anyone wanting to fight in Greenland or Russia.

Marines are specially trained infantry who are very good at making landings. They can move and attack after being dropped by boats.

Paratroopers are specially trained infantry who are very good at falling from the sky. They can move and attack after being dropped by helicopters, and they can airdrop between owned villages. They only lightly armed though.

Infantry, along with vehicles, are recruited in Barracks. Or towns that have been upgraded with investments of gold.
Last edited by PsychoticKittens on May 25th, 2009, 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
RenoOfTurks

Post by RenoOfTurks »

this project sound cool!
Jean

Post by Jean »

Yes, it is a very cool project, but it has a major flaw, that PK stubbornly refuses to let me correct: Cartography.
Also, I think he should be permanently banned from game, since he's a total flooder of the game chat that is not supposed to be for chat. :P
Ah, and AG too, for... clearly being an accomplice!
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

Well, don't play it if you don't like it. We have to use acceptable breaks from reality when needed.
I'm just... a guy...
PsychoticKittens

If you don't like the map, make and code your own.

We're likely to add more maps if we find enough people play it.

For now we start with the world, later we might add subsections like Europe, Asia, Japan, North America, etc.

Edit: Even non-real maps, and maps with troops pre-deployed for more tactics involved! :eng:
Last edited by PsychoticKittens on May 24th, 2009, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jean

Post by Jean »

:P

Nice, PM me if you need help with that.
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

I'll post a list of completed things, partially completed things, and things to do. You can keep track of this if you want.

Completed (at least enough for beta)
Map labels
Beginning village selection
Surrender option
Loss conditions
Unit transportation
Income every turn
Map edge crossing
Unit creation
Research
Diplomacy

Partially completed
Ranged attacks (won't be released in first beta version)
Upgrades for buildings
Guide
Status table

To be done
Missile building
And some other things...
Last edited by A Guy on July 2nd, 2009, 2:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I'm just... a guy...
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Hell, I'll play it just for ships. You will have warships, right? Because if there's one thing lacking from most Wesnoth games...
The X-files

A Guy

Post by A Guy »

Yes, there will be naval combat.
I'm just... a guy...