Invasion from the Unknown (legacy version)

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Espreon
Inactive Developer

Invasion from the Unknown (legacy version)

Post by Espreon »

Please state in your post the exact campaign and Wesnoth version you played. The version number is listed in the campaign menu entry’s description. If you find any technical difficulties, please take them to the appropriate main discussion thread for the campaign, listed below under Related Links.

(1) What difficulty levels and game (& campaign) versions have you played the scenario/campaign on?
If reviewing a specific scenario, please specify.

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario/campaign? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario/campaign objectives?

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline?

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario/campaign?

(6) How fun do you think the campaign is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the campaign to make it more fun?

(8) Any grammatical mistakes in dialogue/story text?

Related links:

Discussion threads: (bug reports, random thoughts, code or text revisions and other stuff should go there) Development threads:
Last edited by Iris on March 3rd, 2009, 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
njubee

Re: Invasion from the Unknown

Post by njubee »

Feedback for the 1.5.x/1.6.x version:

*well, I am still playing 1.4.5 on my ubuntu, but still, i think, it's worth it.

(1) What difficulty levels and game (& campaign) versions have you played the scenario/campaign on?

*medium and played the 1st part completely, started second part.

*It's around 7 going towards 8, i think

*Very clear

*the introducing suggestion to play the official campaigns is very useful (I had already, so it was not a problem). The storyline is very clear, thought through and interesting. Actually, it is the best of all campaigns I played yet (about 15 or more). In my opinion it is worth a movie, no lie!

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario/campaign?

*Actually, i am a patient person, so i like challenging scenarios. I also liked the new units, especially as they fit in the storyline very well - it is "future" ;)

*11 :) - It is also the best balanced campaign til now. in others i used to have 1000g within a few scenarios. this is not the case here. U always have to watch your money bag.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the campaign to make it more fun?

*Only thing I'd would have loved to know, now the the sorceress is dead (final scenario of part I) is that i would have given the rings of regeneration and of movement to another char, but that is bad luck, i guess :D

*Yep, in the 3rd scenario when they look if the invasion is really starting (2v4), the necromancer ends a sentence with "with with your blood" - one with too much :)

If you have played this campaign and find the portraits, sprites or other artwork lacking, note that they are user-made campaigns and thus custom work is limited to the skill of the author and volunteers. If you are interested in making artwork for this campaign, please PM the author with the details.
njubee

Post by njubee »

sorry for double posting: I played it to the very end - amazing!

But i can't load the final map - too big, if i understood correct. However, may be it works in 1.5.x, as i am still using 1.4.5 ;)

Besides that ... nearly perfect. However, in the end I found it annoiying that everytimes I entered a map, the mission was something like:
Kill the overlord and put a final end to the thing!

Sure, this is the mission, but it is the mission from the very beginning. So, may be, this should only appear in the map with the final boss, if you like even twice (entering this map and entering his room).

Looking forward to see it implemented as a official mission (hoping for you for that, hehe).

Njubee
Charmed

Post by Charmed »

Played on the easiest difficulty.

I found them very clear.

I really enjoyed it!

I did not have any challenges, however I was playing on easy.

10. I think it's a great campaign, worthy of mainline.

The units' images disappear around the desert scenario and if you level them up, sometimes they would come back but most of the time they did not. This only happened for some characters, not all of them. For example, Andlinde, and the Elvish Trappers. One Prowler showed up but the others did not. It is very odd. It would be nicer to see them.

The storyline before 'An Errand for Hope' reads: "The very thought of approaching the place were" ... I believe the last word should be "where".

Dawn
Charmed

Post by Charmed »

I noticed what I think is one more error in the story. "These northern people are actually very educated and of fine modals, very much like our own people."

This is before the meeting with the Grand Council.

Dawn
Charmed

Post by Charmed »

Oops, one more -- during the meeting with the Grand Council, when Aleazar is speaking, the word "business" is misspelled as "bussiness".

Dawn
muriq

Post by muriq »

campaign version 1.12.0 (Wesnoth 1.6.1) and i'm now playing part one at the medium difficulty (i've once already finished this campaign, but it was at the begining of 2008 i think, so i don't remember what version it was)

6 to 9 depending on the scenario

Very clear and i really like it when the objective changes in the middle of a scenario

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialogue and storyline?
I think it is the best one of the campaigns i've played so far

Little gold in some scenarios and really challenging foes – but i mean it all in a good way :)

10 – so far my v favourite

I'd make it longer ;) I've read somewhere on this forum that there might be a part 3 and I hope the author will have time to make it :) i'm really looking forward to that

I'm not a native speaker so i can't help with this :(

„If you have played this campaign and find the portraits, sprites or other artwork lacking, note that they are user-made campaigns and thus custom work is limited to the skill of the author and volunteers.”

I really like all the new units that appear only in this campaign, they are a great part of the fun and i really think their design is very good and in no way lacking :)
It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.
Oscar Wilde
Heidi M

Post by Heidi M »

Played both parts on Easy in 1.6, and loved it -- one of my favorite scenarios played.

6 -- I found after the big fight in "A Real Confrontation" it was all pretty simple. A Elvish Ghost Forefather and a Spectre turned out to be the workhorses of my squad, even with all the other classes available. They were especially useful underground.

Very clear.

It was all clear and definitely added to the enjoyment without being too heavy.

As I said, it was all pretty much smooth sailing for quite a while, given all the characters available. By the time I'd gotten to the "end game" after the dwarf battle, I still had a gallery of 3rd and 4th level characters that I couldn't afford to upkeep. I had to go back and save up some money in an earlier scenario. Once I got underground for the final battle, I had to save and reload a few times, but once I got the hang of using my characters right against different enemies, it went smoothly. A necromancer was very useful in the end scenarios. One note: if I had been able to bring another healer character with me to the final scenarios when there i no recall, it would have gone much easier.

Also, defeating the Shadow Master was pretty tough. I had to make sure I had enough undead cannon fodder to keep him in one spot while Elynia and Mal Keshar used their super powers.

10! It was definitely not the most strategic campaign but was a great deal of fun using all the different factions and getting to see a strong storyline play out. By the end I was really attached to my little band, and am looking forward to the sequel.

I think some of the middle campaigns might have been harder, but I think I'll replay it on Normal which should be tougher.

It wasn't clear whether destroying all the, er, energy chambers in the last few scenarios would stop all the random generation. If this was made a sub goal it might make the last few scenarios a little more varied.

There were some but I didn't write them down. Next time through.
glaurung

Post by glaurung »

Ive been trying to play your campaign but whenever i start it, it says "unknown scenario, border patrol" do you know to fix this?
JKilligans

Post by JKilligans »

I haven't finished the campaign yet but I have to say so far I really like it. I'm into about the fourth mission of the first episode. The only complaints I have is that some units don't have a defense frame set so they "disappear" when they get attacked. I could just set the unit image to be the defense frame so it's no big deal. Also there are typos but generally it's very clear what's being said. I didn't make note of all the ones I saw but they were mostly trivial anyway.
Huston

Post by Huston »

you told me to be sure i played your campaign. well i already did back when it was on the 1.4 server(i have a very good memory, i can remember notes given to me by my teachers back in sixth grade even though i'm now a high school graduate). i played totally through it, and must say, it was on of the best campaigns i've ever played.it was very playable on easy and challenging on hard. I'd recommend this campaign to anyone that asked me for a good fun campaign.
coded Rebellion During the Dark Age
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
Rakarei55555

Post by Rakarei55555 »

does it ever end!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Spoiler:
Don't let anyone else
Tell you who you are
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

how did you get the chaos warlord to appear???
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
knight1707

Post by knight1707 »

This was really good, hard but good till the Valley of the Moon level.
then it just gets silly.
I start with 100 gold (is this correct or did I do something wrong)
so you get 5 units, even all at level 3 Its impossible, even with the save/reolad that I hate to use but unforunatly something you have to do on some levels.
Am I doing something wrong, its a shame not to carry on but as I said with 10-0 gold its just ridiuclous......

David
Sardonic

Post by Sardonic »

Easy, 1.6, and I think the latest version (I got it from the user-made campaigns server around 2 weeks ago).

9. I found that the last missions were the most difficult, as they should be. However, I found myself using the save/reload trick a little too much, especially in the second part. In my opinion, the easy mode could be a little easier.

As a side note, Moon Valley was was too hard. I had to play uber-defensively to have a shot at winning and didn't until the 5th try, with only 2 turns remaining. I think that on easy difficulty there should be one less orc leader or even more time.

Very clear. There were a few times where I was annoyed when the scenario objectives would change but when you went back to check them they didn't reflect the changes.

Very clear, and very interesting. The storyline is very good (better than most I have played) and is better than UtBS, IMHO.

In the moon valley, again, it was kind of silly. Otherwise I didn't have too much trouble apart from the end of the campaign.

10. Very fun and the most addicting. Can't wait for part 3.

Not sure. I would have loved to have been able to give the Ring of Regeneration to Mal, but I suppose that would make him a one-man army. Oh well.

There were a few, but I don't remember where they were.

In my opinion, this one is ready for mainline. But my suggestion is, polish this one up for mainline and if there is a sequel put it under a new name. Assuming that the chaos empire is in ruins, there is no need for the next campaign to be called IftU Part 3.