Journey's End

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

West
Retired Lord of Music

Re: Journey's End

Post by West »

SkyOne wrote:Oops, did I make you confused? If it so, sorry about it.
No no, it had nothing to do with you. I just find it difficult to say to myself "there, that's it, this song is done now". If I don't make an effort to stop, I'll keep adding and changing stuff forever.
SkyOne wrote:pad controller sounds expensive.
Not really. I don't mean a whole drum kit, just one of those controllers that look like oversized drum machines, that you play with your fingers.
SkyOne wrote:Actually, there is a problem to me. It is really my fault. I downloaded the file you just posted, then it was not able to be listened, so I change its format from .ogg to .mp3, but it was the file that whole music was in. (my big mistake) Then, I tried to replace it back to .ogg, but the format has never changed since then. Even I tried to re-download one on page 1, it is unable any more. I mean that I do not have anything to listen to "Journey's End" currently. (sorry about it)
I'm not sure I understand. Did the ogg file not work for you? Works fine here.
SkyOne wrote:You are actually incredibly gifted.
I'm just a clueless amateur. But I'm glad you like my music. :)
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

West wrote:No no, it had nothing to do with you. I just find it difficult to say to myself "there, that's it, this song is done now". If I don't make an effort to stop, I'll keep adding and changing stuff forever.
Glad to hear.
West wrote:Not really. I don't mean a whole drum kit, just one of those controllers that look like oversized drum machines, that you play with your fingers.
I recognized it as electric drums, like Roland or Yamaha. Those are expensive. Each pad is probably about $100.00 (US), isn't it?
West wrote:Did the ogg file not work for you? Works fine here.
I am from old school, so it is embarrassing that I install .ogg file using WML into own campaign to listen to it. I have never touched MP-3, and MIDI is also not really familiar with me, but I know well about 70's Gibson, Fender, or Martin.:wink: I am not sure how I am able to listen .ogg file correctly.
West wrote:I'm just a clueless amateur.
Well, not forever though. I mean that you should find something or somewhere make your ability of music improves, but I would like you to stay in Wesnoth.:wink:

P.S. In fact, the pattern of Journey's End is a part similar to one I created, but I use G major, instead of A major on your case. I mean that I do not convert the key when the pattern change from minor to major in my music, but you do that very smoothly. That is why I am impressed a lot. If I find out any ideas in a day, I will post it.

Please, keep doing.:smile:
Thanks.

Edit: To be honest with you. Goose pimples came out on my arms when I listened the part I mentions. I really would like to listen the part more.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

SkyOne wrote:I recognized it as electric drums, like Roland or Yamaha. Those are expensive. Each pad is probably about $100.00 (US), isn't it?
I mean't something like this. Best deal I can find is $49, which isn't much. OTOH, I don't know if it's any good.
SkyOne wrote:I am not sure how I am able to listen .ogg file correctly.
You need an audio player, simple as that. What OS are you on? Windows, Linux, OS X?
SkyOne wrote:Well, not forever though. I mean that you should find something or somewhere make your ability of music improves, but I would like you to stay in Wesnoth.:wink:
Maybe the 'clueless amateur' thing came out a bit wrong. What I meant was that I'm a clueless amateur when it comes to orchestral music. I have no formal training and a lot of the time I don't know exactly what I'm doing, I'm just relying on my ears and my gut. Aside from that though, I have been a musician for more than 20 years so generally speaking I'm not totally clueless. :)
SkyOne wrote:I mean that I do not convert the key when the pattern change from minor to major in my musi
Key changes are invaluable for instantly changing the mood of a tune and keeping listeners on their toes, you should really try and experiment with it if you get the chance. A piece of music that is in one key throughout (or possibly moves in to a related key) gets predictable, and thus less exciting, after a while. But of course, don't do it for the sake of doing it. Do it when you feel the music requires it. Some tunes are better kept straightforward, at least that's my experience.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

West wrote:I mean't something like this. Best deal I can find is $49, which isn't much. OTOH, I don't know if it's any good.
Oh, okay. I have never seen it before but, I can say general idea. AKAI has been creating good staffs since I was a kid, especially cassette-tape-deck. I think that it is one of the first companies (maybe the first) to create auto-reverse deck, so it must be not too bad.
West wrote:What OS are you on? Windows, Linux, OS X?
Mac OSX. If you tell me some ideas about audio players, I will appreciate it.
West wrote:I have been a musician for more than 20 years so generally speaking I'm not totally clueless.
Oh, so you are kind of close to my age probably. I like it. I am not really a musician any more, but still when I play a bass at music store, somebody sometimes scouts me into his band. However, I have never accept them. My sister is a real classical pianist in Italy though.
West wrote:Key changes are invaluable for instantly changing the mood of a tune and keeping listeners on their toes, you should really try and experiment with it if you get the chance. A piece of music that is in one key throughout (or possibly moves in to a related key) gets predictable, and thus less exciting, after a while. But of course, don't do it for the sake of doing it. Do it when you feel the music requires it. Some tunes are better kept straightforward, at least that's my experience.
Thank you so much for advising me. Yes, I keep thinking key changing in my any music, but never have a good one. I probably have about fifteen music of own, however, only a few of them are key changed.

Anyway, have you stared considering adding four or eight measures at the part on Journey's End? That is exactly the music that I would like to create and install into my campaign which is not very happy ending. In addition, the story is based on my experience. Probably, that is why I got empathy.

Thanks.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Lord_Aether

Post by Lord_Aether »

SkyOne wrote:
West wrote:What OS are you on? Windows, Linux, OS X?
Mac OSX. If you tell me some ideas about audio players, I will appreciate it.
My iTunes plays .ogg just fine...
Mac OS X 10.5.7
Wesnoth 1.6.2
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Excuse me, West. (this is not related to Journey's End at all)
Lord_Aether wrote:My iTunes plays .ogg just fine...
Really? Instead of saving as .mp3? Thank you, Lord_Aether, and good to see you. :smile: Could you PM me regarding that? I have never been able to run .ogg on iTune.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

SkyOne wrote:Anyway, have you stared considering adding four or eight measures at the part on Journey's End? That is exactly the music that I would like to create and install into my campaign which is not very happy ending.
I told you, I'm not going to change it, for many reasons:

1. I can't just copy the part, because I don't work that way and since I record everything live all notes aren't exactly on the grid. Which means I would have to move and re-record a lot of stuff, which I'm reluctant to do as...

2. ...I personally think repeating the part would not be an improvement -- quite the opposite.

3. The tune was not written specifically for your campaign, why should I change it to fit it? If it was a small change, sure, but what you're asking is a lot of work.

4. Your campaign is not even finished yet! In fact, I can't even find a thread that tells me how much progress you have made.

5. You're the only one who has suggested that this change is desireable. If a lot of people agreed with you, I might consider it.

6. If I agree to change one of my pieces to fit your campaign, soon a lot of other UMC authors will start asking me and the other composers to change the music to fit their campaigns. And I think I speak for all of us when I say, we don't really have time for that.

7. My main concern is mainline. If you were working on a mainline campaign, or if you knew that your campaign would likely be included eventually, your request would carry a lot more weight. Right now, you're basically asking me to change a tune to fit a personal project of yours.

8. I will happily let anyone use my music in their campaigns -- if time permits I will even do custom music for UMC campaigns if asked (my only requirements are that the campaign is finished and of high quality). But I will NOT rework finished existing music.

I hope that clears things up. If the current version of Journey's End isn't to your liking, then don't use it.
SouthernOracle

Post by SouthernOracle »

Sounds really good, West. Can't detect anything wrong with it. I don't believe adding measures would benefit the piece - there isn't a section in my opinion that calls for a loop. Perhaps adding a quick fade, 2 seconds or less, at the beginning to bring in that sustained note.. :hmm: Otherwise, pretty sharp.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

West wrote:I told you, I'm not going to change it, for many reasons:1~8
I got it.:smile: Not a problem at all. I did not mean that asking you to create music to be fitted to my campaign at all. Please, understand it. I just felt what I said before. Music is art, so having a different idea by each person is possible, right? (sorry for making you spend extra time to write the issue 1~8)
West wrote:If the current version of Journey's End isn't to your liking, then don't use it.
Oooh, please!! Have I ever said it? Bacsically, I really love this music. (not only Journey's End) This is bottom line. Even you ask me not to use it, I have passion to use it, so please, let me install the code when you are ready.

Thanks.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

SkyOne wrote:so please, let me install the code when you are ready.
When I'm ready? The final version has already been posted, maybe you missed it. Get it here. Or am I misunderstanding you?
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

West wrote:When I'm ready? The final version has already been posted, maybe you missed it. Get it here. Or am I misunderstanding you?
You understand me correctly. I thought that I had to wait until the file got into the default folder to use.
Thank you.:smile:

You know how much I like it? While I was writing messages to co-worker, the music kept running in my head.
Is this fine for you? (not official)

Code: Select all

[about]
        title= _ "Ending Music (Journey's End)"
        [entry]
            name="Mattias Westlund (West)"
        [/entry]
    [/about]
Thanks.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

SkyOne wrote:I thought that I had to wait until the file got into the default folder to use.
If you mean until it was commited to mainline -- no, I haven't done that. I'm not even sure it belongs in mainline.
SkyOne wrote: Is this fine for you? (not official)

Code: Select all

[about]
        title= _ "Ending Music (Journey's End)"
        [entry]
            name="Mattias Westlund (West)"
        [/entry]
    [/about]
Thanks.
Sure, looks fine to me.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

West wrote:I haven't done that. I'm not even sure it belongs in mainline.
Oh, okay. I might have to give up some of my custom units, but it is fine. :smile: Your masterpiece is more important than my custom units in the campaign.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

SkyOne wrote:
West wrote:I haven't done that. I'm not even sure it belongs in mainline.
Oh, okay. I might have to give up some of my custom units, but it is fine. :smile: Your masterpiece is more important than my custom units in the campaign.
Uh... what has custum units got to do with music?
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

West wrote:Uh... what has custum units got to do with music?
Oh, sorry, they do not relate to the music at all. What I mean was the size of the entire campaign-folder. Seriously, nothing wrong with the music. It is just my issue, so not to worry, please.
You probably have many reasons which are unknown for me not to update it.