Wesnoth 1.6.2 text bug

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Lathai

Wesnoth 1.6.2 text bug

Post by Lathai »

I seem to be having a bit of a problem with the text with the windows version (1.6.2). It may just be an error on my part, but I thought I'd mention it.

Under the multiplayer, add-ons, and language menus and with the text that appears during campaigns (not the intro text though), all that appears are boxes. Attached screenshot should be more clear than my writing...
Attachments
untitled.GIF
penguin
macOS Packager

Re: Wesnoth 1.6.2

Post by penguin »

Uh oh, looks like a pango problem on Windows.
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Re: Wesnoth 1.6.2 text bug

Post by Wintermute »

*split from 1.6.2 release thread and moved here*
ivanovic wrote:If you find any bugs don't hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to post bugs first. Instructions for bug reporting can be found at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/ReportingBugs.
Questions:

1) Are you using Vista or XP (or other?)
2) Did you do a clean install, or did you install over another version?
3) Have you checksummed your download/tried to install again fresh?
4) Did you install anything from the add-on server, or was this a problem 'out of the box'?

I was unable to duplicate this using Vista with my 1.6.2 installation. Anyone else get this?
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Actually, I think this might be related to http://gna.org/bugs/index.php?13399

Do you have DejaVuSans.ttf in the fonts folder?
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
dederocks

Post by dederocks »

I have exactly the same text bug problem, running Wesnoth on a Vista laptop. I first installed 1.6.2 on top of 1.6.1, then uninstalled it, removed both the program and the data folders, still the same issue.
On top of that, since 1.6 the performance has decreased dramatically -- reloading a saved game for example takes at least 2 minutes. And it is worse with 1.6.2. than with 1.6
I have 2 GB ram, so this should'nt be the issue.
To answer ancestral, I DO have Deja vu Sans font installed.

Should I remove it -- or another hint?
silene

Post by silene »

You could indeed try to remove the file. Contrarily to 1.6.1, the main difference is that Wesnoth actually uses that file instead of the system font.

You could also try to change the family_order setting in the data/hardwired/fonts.cfg file. Instead of "DejaVu Sans,WenQuanYi Zen Hei", put some random noise there, so that Wesnoth falls back to the system font.
dederocks

Post by dederocks »

I don't understand what you mean by 'add some random noise'. So I just permuted the fonts in the family_order setting:
order=_ "wqy-zenhei.ttc,DejaVuSans.ttf"
family_order=_ "WenQuanYi Zen Hei,DejaVu Sans"
The result is that some texts now look weird, and the initial issue remains the same.
Text weird result sample
Text weird result sample
silene

Post by silene »

dederocks wrote:I don't understand what you mean by 'add some random noise'. So I just permuted the fonts in the family_order setting:
Note that I was only asking to change family_order, not order (no need to break something that was still working). By random noise, I meant something like

Code: Select all

order=_ "DejaVuSans.ttf,wqy-zenhei.ttc"
family_order="my wesnoth is broken"
dederocks

Post by dederocks »

Works!

Thanks for your help.
shashtsoh

Post by shashtsoh »

Hey there - I am having the same problem on Suse 11.1 using 1.6a4... Initially the main menu didn't have text, but that was solved by deleting the DejaVuSans.ttf file. I am now stuck trying to fix the dialog text on the campaigns. I have tried editing the fonts.cfg file in both the hardwired and core directories as suggested above, but no luck. Any other ideas?