Journey's End

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

West
Retired Lord of Music

Journey's End

Post by West »

I'm not sure if this really fits the game, especially considering we don't need more "story" music at present, but as this is in many ways the spiritual sequel to Traveling Minstrels, someone might like it.

Journey's End
EDIT: Fixed the url. -zookeeper

It's almost finished, I only need to tweak the dynamics and connect the dots in a few places.

And yes this is the same tune I presented in this thread, and it was made with free samples only. I'm a bit too close to it right now to judge whether it's up to mainline standards, but if nothing else it's an example of what you can do with freebies.

Samples used:

Bassoon Ethan-Nando
Oboe Stereo
Strings DXS Super Orchestra
Violins 0.0.3
Gothic Harp
AAViolin
Real Trombone Sus
NS Timpani
ProjectSAM True Strike Basic Percussion
ProjectSAM Snare
Westgate Percussion
Westgate Trumpet Sus
British Fife
Strings Pizzicato
Real Flute Vib
Heroic Horns
GenieSys Voice L.C. Glockenspiel
U220 Clarinet
Temuchin Khan

Re: Journey's End

Post by Temuchin Khan »

West wrote:I'm not sure if this really fits the game, especially considering we don't need more "story" music at present, but as this is in many ways the spiritual sequel to Traveling Minstrels, someone might like it.

Journey's End
EDIT: Fixed the url. -zookeeper

It's almost finished, I only need to tweak the dynamics and connect the dots in a few places.

And yes this is the same tune I presented in this thread, and it was made with free samples only. I'm a bit too close to it right now to judge whether it's up to mainline standards, but if nothing else it's an example of what you can do with freebies.
Interesting. It reminds me a little of some of your other stuff, like "Over the Northern Mountains."
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

I like it. Reminds me of Age Of Empire's soundtrack.
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

Oh, and also Creator of The War Of Terrador
marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

I like it. Reminds me of Age Of Empire's soundtrack.
Listen to the music
O que faz de mim ser o que sou. É gostar de ir por onde ninguém for
gmlion
Art Contributor

Post by gmlion »

I frankly think it's top-notch. I particularly like the imitations beetween the woods :)
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

I am sorry, but i don't find it "top notch", to be true. It is technically well made, but the tune gives me nothing. I think it would be better to make it simpler. West is trying to try out too many things in this piece.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Definitely top-notch. Good job.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Done. I've tweaked the transitions in a couple of places, filled in a few missing melodies and ironed out some other wrinkles.

Edit: Uh, I'm having second thoughts about the reverb. I siwtched to a convolution verb before mixing down, but now I think it just sounds boomy. The tune seems to have lost all clarity. Maybe I'll swith back.

Edit 2: The triangle roll is too loud and there should be a ritardando towards the end of the big majestic part. Seems I'm not done after all.
Temuchin Khan wrote:It reminds me a little of some of your other stuff, like "Over the Northern Mountains."
Not surprising as 75% of it are variations on themes from Minstrels and, yes, Mountains.
Dragonchampion wrote:I like it. Reminds me of Age Of Empire's soundtrack.
Why do people always think my music sounds like stuff I've never heard? :)
gmlion wrote:I frankly think it's top-notch. I particularly like the imitations beetween the woods :)
Thanks. And yeah, there's a lot of woodwinds in there, more than I usually have. I realized there's actually a lot of very good free solo woodwind samples out there.
vonHalenbach wrote:It is technically well made, but the tune gives me nothing. I think it would be better to make it simpler. West is trying to try out too many things in this piece.
Point taken, but it's not changing. This was written as an experiment, trying out the potential of some free samples (and also as an excercise in working withing a set of hard constraints, which was actually a lot of fun). I say take it or leave it, if more people feel the same way then that's too bad, but I wasn't expecting this tune to end up in mainline anyway.
zookeeper wrote:Definitely top-notch. Good job.
Thank you!
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

What is going on here? Now, after hearing the final one, it feels round and good in my ears. Very good piece! I don't know if the first one is this different to the last one, but now it is top-notch.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

vonHalenbach wrote:What is going on here? Now, after hearing the final one, it feels round and good in my ears. Very good piece! I don't know if the first one is this different to the last one, but now it is top-notch.
Maybe you listened to some other tune the first time? :)
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Very nice music West. Nothing much to say on it!

Can i suggest the bass drum to be pianissimo at start...? I feel it pretty aggressive. I hear this first violin line like a sun ray in the morning, and the bass drum king of ruins this feeling.

Other than that, great job!
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Thanks Aleksi.

Actually, it's not just a bass drum, it's a bass drum and a timpani playing in unison. The bass drum is just a soft boom, I added the timpani for a bit more top end.

But yeah, you might be right. It's just that I wanted the opening to convey both a tranquil, soft feel as well as an underlying darkness. Like, you know, the journey is nearing its end, but bad things have happened. Maybe friends have fallen along the way, and everything's changed. It might be a bit too overpowering though. I'll see what I can do about it.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

West wrote:It's just that I wanted the opening to convey both a tranquil, soft feel as well as an underlying darkness. Like, you know, the journey is nearing its end, but bad things have happened. Maybe friends have fallen along the way, and everything's changed. It might be a bit too overpowering though. I'll see what I can do about it.
Yes, i understand perfectly, but i think that the darkness and sadness can be even more effective if the bass drum and timpani where very low, and not too present. It is like a dark cloud, discrete but you can feel that it is heavy in the atmosphere...
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Hi, West.

I hope that you do not remember me. :smile: (this is a joke) Actually, good to see you.
I would like to listen to your new music, but:
Not Found

The requested URL /west/mattias_westlund-journeys_end.ogg was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
this is happened on my computer. Could you tell me how I should do in order to listen to it?
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

SkyOne wrote:Hi, West.

I hope that you do not remember me. :smile: (this is a joke) Actually, good to see you.
I would like to listen to your new music, but:
Not Found

The requested URL /west/mattias_westlund-journeys_end.ogg was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
this is happened on my computer. Could you tell me how I should do in order to listen to it?
In order to listen to it, you should read the entire thread and not just click on the first link that you see.