Bad Moon Rising & Trinity

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Bad Moon Rising & Trinity

Post by doofus-01 »

Please post any complaints, bug reports, and random thoughts concerning this campaign to the link in my signature below (end of this post). I appreciate all help, but this thread is meant for reviews and it makes it hard for others to read if it is full of non-review posts.

Thanks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: Reviewing either the whole campaign or just a scenario is fine, but please be specific about what you are reviewing. It is OK to review a scenario without having finished the campaign.

-----------------------------------Questions-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(1) What difficulty levels and game (& campaign) versions have you played the scenario/campaign on?
If reviewing a specific scenario, please specify.

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario/campaign? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario/campaign objectives?

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline?

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario/campaign?

(6) How fun do you think the campaign is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the campaign to make it more fun?

(8) Any grammatical mistakes in dialogue/story text?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by doofus-01 on June 14th, 2011, 3:58 am, edited 7 times in total.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Max

Re: Bad Moon Rising

Post by Max »

i really like the idea of a non-recruiting campaign...

(0.6.2 / 1.6a / medium)

I / Abandoned
- when i first talk to Russel he's still hidden - maybe you could remove the shrouds before

I / From Bad To Worse
- tough one and i made the mistake that i leveled the footpad since he's doing the most damage

I / Join the Dark Side
- i don't think this one is doable without having incredible luck. i think i'm supposed to run and try to trigger Athanta, but even if i go straightaway to the north the Persuers Wraiths will reach me - there's no real point fighting them - to keep Scarria alive i can only use them as shields. i'd really like to see a replay for this one...

Some other things:
- Scarria has no traits - not sure if that's intended. maybe give him quick and strong?
- parenthesis are used both for whispering and thinking to oneself - i think most campaigns use (whispered) for whispering
- wml looks really messy - indentations are all screwed up, running wmllint wouldn't hurt^^
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks. Some of those issues are unintentional and have been or will be fixed. To the original post, I've attached a replay of Join the Dark Side. I had a few lucky breaks, but don't think it was that far out of normal.
emilwoog

Post by emilwoog »

Royal Rumble played on 6.2.1 on Medium
Enjoying the campaign a lot, but finding this scenario incredibly difficult. I can stay alive, but I can't get through to Huric.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Royal Rumble is supposed to one of the more difficult scenarios (Huric wouldn't be that mighty if he could be easily overthrown).

The best strategy for it is to be patient. Don't engage Vazzan, let him inflict all his damage on the loyalists. Don't be too aggressive.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

(1) version 0.6.2.1, medium

(2) some parts were way too difficult... in fact I ended up cheating with debug mode

(3) The hints were appreciated, but the scenario/campaign objectives could have used a bit more clarity. For example, do you have to move the leader to the exit point, or just anyone? Are you just supposed to hole up and fend off the Pursuer or to attempt to go to a specific area of the map? Why can't you stand anywhere next to the stones and roll them instead of in a specific unmarked spot?

(4) The dialog and storyline were fairly clear. I really liked the part with the escape from the necromancer and the part with ghostly allies. The last scenario though, feels like we're we've skipped way too much story / character development and ended with a hasty explanation of why our hero is now an uber-villain.

(5) Many of the situations (as far as I can tell) call for much luck or save/reloading. There seems to be little motivation for playing it on medium or hard.

(6) Honestly, I'd rank it 2 or 3. I expected a lot more from this campaign after seeing all the work you put into the units and artwork.

(7) I was waiting for all those trolls to move around and it was pretty tiresome in the first scenario. Maybe you could put some kind of limit on their numbers? Also, considering my poor experience with medium setting, maybe you should just get rid of the different difficulty modes and focus on getting it fun while maintaining a moderate amount of challenge in the default setting. Then maybe add one other setting for people who just want to cruise through it without facing any major challenge.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

3. & 4. That's something to consider. Thanks.

5. That's a risk with so few units. Not sure how to negate luck.

6. Ouch.

7. Just 2 difficulty levels is a good idea.
Stedevil

Post by Stedevil »

(1) Bad moon Rising "Act II" - 0.6.3 Hard

(2) 9-10.

(3) Absolutely brilliant with that "world map" you walk around on. It could however have a bit better explanation at the start because at first I was confused of which "forest" to go to and how the world map worked.

(4) Very interesting and good.

(5) Especially Ruin was difficult to manage since the slightest delay will cause you to run out of turns to reach with your civilians to the signpost. Also you are "allowed" to have 2 of them killed, so shouldn't the game end with a success after getting 6 out? I ended up with a defeat when 1 was still on the map and not being able to reach the sign in time. Felt silly to have to make a suicide attack vs orks with it to turn it into a success.

Royal Rumble: The Cav joining from the south ended up just standing at the edge of the map and never moving. Can't say I was too displeased at the time, because I'm not sure I would have made it without heavy losses once they charged my line of lv 0 dogs in the icy starting corner. :D But I assume it was intended that one should get heavy losses and that idle cav is a bug?

(6) 10

Additionally, the note "this is the last mission" was REALLY pleasant to see as well. :) Gosh knows how many times I replayed a scenario in other campaigns after getting vital units killed only to find out that was the very last scenario. :?

PS Played Act I first of course. That was reasonably decent too, but not a 10, but I guess mostly serves as a prologue in the storyline.
Stedevil

Post by Stedevil »

Just popped in to say that 2nd mission, Mine Mouth, in act 3 (0.6.3 hard) seems a bit too easy.

Finished on turn 10 of 34. :shock:
Attachments
Mine_Mouth_replay.gz
(32.5 KiB) Downloaded 1071 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

You are correct, and it is the same for 0.6.4. I will fix that. Thanks.
Stedevil

Post by Stedevil »

Small thing: in act 3, Downed by the water 0.6.3

After reaching your healer held captive by the lizards you still have the mission "find survivors".

PS After a while one goes paranoid from the lethal naga assaults from out of sight areas :mrgreen:
Ended up spending almost 100 turns to get through it on hard. Not a complaint btw, just feedback since I suspect it might be intended.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

After a while one goes paranoid from the lethal naga assaults from out of sight areas
Right, that was intended.
The sloppy objectives were not, thanks for catching that.
Stedevil

Post by Stedevil »

After mount tien I end up having a lvl 2 Ork archer in my recall list. Judging by the dialogue at the end of that scenario I presume I shouldn't.

Heavens gate could have a "To the pass" marker at the north to help one understand exactly what part of the map you are supposed to keep away the enemy from. At the start of the scenario it's a little bit confusing what you should do (I went on the attack south, which made it a whole lot harder to reach North later) :mrgreen:

EDIT: I btw got the ork boss to say "I see an arrow..." already on turn 2 after the humans leave (text sais it should be 5). The game ending on turn 2-3 however still caused a defeat, so I think it's just the appearance of the text that is off.
Jeebus

Post by Jeebus »

Acts I, II (up to Ruin, haven't beaten Ruin yet)

1) Played whatever is the current version of BfW (1.6.1) and the campaign right now, on Medium.
2) Act I - 4, not very challenging but that's not a bad thing because it's basically there for story/prologue; Act II - range from 5 to 9, with Royal Rumble tough but doable, and Ruin extremely difficult.
3) Objectives are very often vague, sometimes annoyingly so. On almost every scenario it seems like the objective is "Defeat Enemy Leaders," even when that's not the actual victory condition. For instance, in Royal Rumble I thought that meant I'd have to fight through Huric as well as the other guard leaders and Vazzan in order to win. I was pleasantly surprised to win upon defeating Huric. Similarly, in the mission before going back into the copper mines (forget what it's called) I was ready to go after Huric after taking out the other enemy but got victory first. It would be much better to be more specific, and change the objectives if new enemy leaders come in, unless you have a particular reason for having vague objectives. Also agree with someone else's comment that the "world map" idea is great except that the objective isn't always clear (esp. that first forest) - also that it keeps bothering me to replace the replay after each time on the map because it has the same name, but that's minor.
4) The story line is interesting if a little thin. Could use some character development of Raenna and Bellos, since they sometimes are VIPs (although sometimes not, which should also be consistent).
5) Generally the main obstacle in the scenarios is mobility on ice/in caves. The only ones that can get around are the dogs and runner-class. Commandos are awesome! Nightstalk in the caves makes them almost too powerful.
6) 8
7) As noted above; also, the opportunity to recruit non-Ukian units at some point, particularly mages, would be useful. And allow more turns on Ruin - 18 turns is barely enough for the civilians to get to the signpost, and there are all those pesky orcs in the way.
8) Hmmm. I have noticed some. Is there a way to look at just the texts from the scenarios? I could mark it up.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I was ready to go after Huric after taking out the other enemy but got victory first.
If Huric was still around when the other guy got killed, then something is wrong with that scenario. What turn did you end on?
5) Generally the main obstacle in the scenarios is mobility on ice/in caves. The only ones that can get around are the dogs and runner-class.
I've got a terrain for that now, but it isn't fully used in all the maps yet.
Hmmm. I have noticed some. Is there a way to look at just the texts from the scenarios? I could mark it up.
One way would be to look at the .cfg files and do a word search for "message= _", because that is what the text lines start with. Then record the line number and proposed fix and post that in the other thread (top link in my signature). Using the Wescamp .pot file might also work, but I think it is easier to just open the .cfg files in the scenarios1,-2, & -3 folders.

EDIT (had to use search):
also that it keeps bothering me to replace the replay after each time on the map because it has the same name, but that's minor
Many BfW versions ago, it didn't do that. But now it does and I don't know how to disable it. I once asked about this, but never got an answer.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects