[Faction] The Væringjar - 1.0.0 zip available

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Cloud
Art Contributor

[Faction] The Væringjar - 1.0.0 zip available

Post by Cloud »

1.0.0 released as a zip on this forum - 14/12/09

General Information: Known bugs:
  • Herbalist ability doesn't work.
Original Post:
Last edited by Cloud on December 14th, 2009, 5:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
Flameslash

Re: [Faction] The Væringjar

Post by Flameslash »

The Vaeringjar don't have a decent ranged attacker.
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

It's an intended weakness, but I may have taken it too far. That's also the main use for the Úlfrsläkt. It may only be a single archer, but it's terrain defence with be fairly high. The Væringjar themselves will have medium-high resistances (or at least all those armed with shields, which is the vast majority).

I also wanted to avoid magic in the faction, I might end up removing the warrior Úlfrsläkt line for another ranged version, still not magic (note to self - rock/sling maybe?)

Reasoning behind little ranged - Real life Vikings rarely fought with ranged attacks in battle, it was thought of as dishonourable. Melee is the obvious strength of this faction, and hopefully with good enough defences it should make things interesting, baring in mind most ranged troops are weak in melee.
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

Looks interesting, but I am american, and can't pronounce the names... :P

Good work, though! You have really thought this out!
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

Oh, and also Creator of The War Of Terrador
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

Yeah, I have no idea on pronunciation (I'm British). Most of them are terms used in books or wikipedia. Some are just translations to swedish or something similar (I came up with the names a while back).

I'm dropping all the accents for now, as they didn't seem to want to show in game (I haven't yet looked if it's possible or not on the wiki yet, but the basic coding of units is far more important for now).

Thanks for the encouragement :)
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Cloud wrote:Yeah, I have no idea on pronunciation (I'm British). Most of them are terms used in books or wikipedia. Some are just translations to swedish or something similar (I came up with the names a while back).

I'm dropping all the accents for now, as they didn't seem to want to show in game (I haven't yet looked if it's possible or not on the wiki yet, but the basic coding of units is far more important for now).

Thanks for the encouragement :)
I'd encourage you to keep the accents in. If anything, it adds more flavor. They should show up as long as you're using a Unicode-compatible text editor and saving the file as utf-8.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

I've kept them, I just wasn't at all sure how to include them.

I have a local version coded, but for some reason the game finds an error on the third unit file (seemingly - I've only tried two files so far) regardless of the file it is. I'm going to spend some time now working through each file to try and get rid of this.

With some earlier play tests, I think I might add either regeneration or nightstalk to the Ulfrskalt units as they seemed too easily killed (I had decided on low hp, with the elusivefoot move type (I will eventually create my own, but for the moment I'm borrowing from the main game to speed things along). With such a low melee attack the Maneskalt was such an easy target, even when sitting on a hill).

I'll try to get the up to date stats up on the wiki later today too.
tsr

Post by tsr »

Hi, I have only one negative ( :wink: )comment at the moment: while using names from different scandinavian languages might seem cool to others it feels quite a lot like exotism to me (I'm from sweden, and all the unit names make complete sense to me as I understand the names).

One thing to remember when working with wesnoth is that it is an international game so aiming for exotism (by using 'exotic' unit names, etc) often comes out (imho) as pretty cheesy.

Other than that the faction looks cool, and I love that you picked up the 'ranged is for wussies' thing from the viking culture.

/tsr
Gauteamus
Translator

Post by Gauteamus »

Short notice on accents:
Actually the usage of å (pronounced roughly as the open(?) o in horse) is quite new.
In medieval and earlier times I think it was more common to write the (more or less) same sound á.

If you would like "authentic" names in a viking/norse mythology based faction, maybe you could contact the maintainer of the icelandic translation for inspiration?
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

Thanks for the comments, I shall take them into advice.

@tsr - If I could use some proper 'authentic' names for units would that help the issue? Rather than just translating into a scandinavian would that help nullify that issue?

If so @Gautemus - thanks I shall defiantly follow up on that idea

And back @tsr - could you be so kind as to point out the ones which need looking at.

Ones I'm fairly confident will stay: Fyrd, Bóndi, Carl, Huscarl, Jarl, Gungir (not sure if that was a translation or not, but I like that name regardless :P), Dís, Vanadís, Valkyrja, Vulcan, Vulfen & Vyrkin. I'd like to keep the Fenrirsúlfr containing 'Fenrir' in it's name, the only reason I didn't simple choose that on it's own is because there's another UMC unit named the same, and I would like to avoid that is at all possible.

Thanks again.
tsr

Post by tsr »

Cloud wrote:And back @tsr - could you be so kind as to point out the ones which need looking at.

Ones I'm fairly confident will stay: Fyrd, Bóndi, Carl, Huscarl, Jarl, Gungir (not sure if that was a translation or not, but I like that name regardless :P), Dís, Vanadís, Valkyrja, Vulcan, Vulfen & Vyrkin. I'd like to keep the Fenrirsúlfr containing 'Fenrir' in it's name, the only reason I didn't simple choose that on it's own is because there's another UMC unit named the same, and I would like to avoid that is at all possible.
Well, I think I will just drop my case... Afterall it is ok to develop stuff that will sound cool to english speaking people too ;)

As for the unit names you've listed they mean (of the top off my head): ???, peasant, man, houseowner (actually houseman), chieftan, ???, ..... As for Fenrirsúlfr it means wolfwolf :D

So, please disregard my comment I continue development of what seems to be a cool faction.

/tsr
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

Just a small update, all the units have basic coding done and I have made the odd change... I decided on Nightstalk for the Ulfrskalt units, making them insanely powerful at night, but real pushovers during the day.

One thing I am starting to worry about is the lack of ability to counter Undead as only one unit has impact damage, the (Fimbul)Hrafn's attack might be changed to impact to help this.

On another note, I could really use some help with art, I've started repainting some mainline and UMC sprites, but it's dodgy stuff at best, if anyone wants to help, please do step forward, it will be very appreciated :).
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

A viking faction?

How could I have missed this?!?! Sign me up for some mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkie art, please!
For the dark gods!
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

Signed up :mrgreen: ( I assume that's what you meant, I hope so, because I'm really reaching the limits of what I can do art-wise, but if not, no hard feelings :) )
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Pfft. There's no such thing as a limit in art. What needs to be done first?

...master?
For the dark gods!