Resurection of Wesnoth Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

archlich
Location: Deep in an underground bunker in an undisclosed location

Re: Resurection of Wesnoth Campaign

Post by archlich »

Grothendieck wrote:
Saurians don't suck in the sand....

Actually, that idea already came to my mind. Right now I'm kind of experimenting. The scenario I'm building right now is one a scenario in which you go across the desert, giving me a chance to experiment with things such as randomly respawning units, randomly wondering units similar to birds in Invasion from the Unknown, etc.

A scenario I'm working on right now has scorpions in it. I found that when they die to a WC they just become a normal WC. That's rather silly. So picky am I that I have created an altered form of the WC that has a variation for scorpions and other strange units as well as put in events that will cause the scorpions to have plague variation.

Work is being done on making a version for Wesnoth 1.6
"The bombing starts in 5 minutes."- Ronald Wilson Reagan
Exia

Post by Exia »

i havent played the campaign yet, nor am i going to have time for the next two weeks, but the main character seems pretty power crazy and bent on world domination to me(learning necromancy and salvaging the libraries of Alduin for power). Or maybe its just me
archlich

Post by archlich »

Exia wrote:i havent played the campaign yet, nor am i going to have time for the next two weeks, but the main character seems pretty power crazy and bent on world domination to me(learning necromancy and salvaging the libraries of Alduin for power). Or maybe its just me

Um, yeah, he's power crazy.

When I release the version for Wesnoth 1.6, he has a portrait edited from evil Tallin. The byproduct of my editing made his eyes red, and the atmosphere the first scenario now sets in this new version makes him seem even more crazy. Even in the description you see for the campaign it says that Ranvan, the main character, "stumbles upon the ruins of Weldyn, inspiring him to reinstate the greatness of the ancient empire of Wesnoth."

This guy sounds like a fascist. Fascists love to talk about national greatness.

One may remember the description for a mage saying that those that seek magical knowledge as a means to power often lack the necessary convictions to use it. Personally, I say that knowledge is power.

I never said that these were good guys or that New Wesnoth would be a nation of goodness. As the history of Wesnoth refers to a golden age and silver age, I consider this an "iron age."
kyi_the_bard

Post by kyi_the_bard »

I was thinking about the whole Insects>Walking Corpses, or Wild Wolves>Riding Corpses thing, so I'm glad that someone else noticed that.

Also for desert fighters you could check out the Agrowathi of BEEM. They fight well in the desert, so they could make a good challenge.
Meow
archlich

Post by archlich »

kyi_the_bard wrote:I was thinking about the whole Insects>Walking Corpses, or Wild Wolves>Riding Corpses thing, so I'm glad that someone else noticed that.

Also for desert fighters you could check out the Agrowathi of BEEM. They fight well in the desert, so they could make a good challenge.
Humans in the desert may be a good idea, but as for Aragwaithi, they live way the heck north. Right now I've put in shadows (nightgaunts if you put on the hardest difficulty) that appear at night and disappear come the dawn. I promise you, you will have casualties.

BEEM however could be useful in having a resource for necessary units. The second scenario had remnant chaos forces which I loaded from Extended Era which doesn't exist for Wesnoth 1.6. Or I could just put the units in the campaign. That might be easier.

In truth, I'm kind of just messing around to see what I can do.
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

archlich wrote:One may remember the description for a mage saying that those that seek magical knowledge as a means to power often lack the necessary convictions to use it. Personally, I say that knowledge is power.
I think this is meant to imply that magi have to actually be interested in the knowledge as an end in itself, rather than merely as a means to world power. This is perfectly reasonable, as a power-seeker might be too busy dreaming of the future to get on with their study. I would think it reasonable for any mage, having already learned all he has the patience to learn, to begin to realise any latent ambitions they might have had - especially if they're as old as dark sorcerers are usually portrayed to be, seeking to actually put the power they gave most of their life for to use. Or alternately, to prolong that life so they might gain even more power.
archlich wrote:I never said that these were good guys or that New Wesnoth would be a nation of goodness. As the history of Wesnoth refers to a golden age and silver age, I consider this an "iron age."
Hm, Wesnoth was never a nation of goodness in the first place - any more than it was a nation of evil. All the descriptions are indecisive about whether or not necromancy itself is evil, or merely dangerous for the state, and it could well be merely the latter - a common peasant needs a huge following to challenge the Crown, whereas a dark mage needs only to loot a battlefield.
Shameless Crossover Excuse
Necromancer (campaign)

You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it.
archlich

Post by archlich »

I stand by my statement that knowledge is power.

It is very predictable that Ranvan becomes a lich or otherwise becomes undead, so he'll have eternity to study. More than that, Alduin contains historical and geographic records which aside from being interesting, are useful in the pursuit of conquest.

Today, we live in an age in which there is so much information that nobody can keep up with it. Back in the day, one could learn everything that was known by anyone. Magic aside, one that knows everything that there is to know, that knows more than anyone else is a very powerful person.

OK, New Wesnoth isn't "evil," it's just going to be led for a really long time by a narcissistic, ruthless dictator.

List of narcissistic ruthless people you may have hear of:
Alexander the Great
Joseph Stalin
Adolf Hitler (In this case, I'd say more pure evil than the others.)
Julius Caesar

So Ranvan isn't "evil," he even does good things. The pursuit of undead isn't even entirely selfish; Ranvan believes that undead slave labor would increase the quality of life for his followers.
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

archlich wrote:I stand by my statement that knowledge is power.
Understandable - it hardly takes a genius to work out that this statement is true in all situations.
archlich wrote:It is very predictable that Ranvan becomes a lich or otherwise becomes undead, so he'll have eternity to study. More than that, Alduin contains historical and geographic records which aside from being interesting, are useful in the pursuit of conquest.
"Necromancer becomes lich" is a little too common as a plot thread idea. Maybe Ranvan starts off undead already, with a custom unit line to reflect that - we already have Gwiti Ha'atel's Deathmaster line after all *plugs himself for doing the sprites for it*

Given he's using a portrait that has a sword, I'd make him an undead version of Malin Keshar's unit line from DiD - both to distinguish him from his dark adepts, and so he can be a level 1 lich derivative.
archlich wrote:So Ranvan isn't "evil," he even does good things. The pursuit of undead isn't even entirely selfish; Ranvan believes that undead slave labor would increase the quality of life for his followers.
Pretty much the view taken in my own undead campaign... which reminds me, I need to screw with it to improve continuity and suchlike.
Necromancer (campaign)

archlich

Post by archlich »

I said "Ranvan becomes a lich or otherwise becomes undead." Yes it's very predictable, but I plan to make it not exactly a lich.

I'd like to say that it would be kind of silly for him to start out undead; he hasn't discovered that power yet when the campaign starts.

Here are some alternatives to the lich I'm considering: (By the way, that is a long way out.)
1. Vampire
2. Part of his flesh becomes undead while some of him is still living. (Think of it as artificial organs, although that doesn't make you artificial...)
3. The aging process simply stops
archlich

Post by archlich »

The third scenario was going to be one similar to the second scenario in UtBs in which you cross a large desert area. Then a thought occurred to me.

Why is it needed? This army crosses desert with every dot on the map; if something happens, then something happens and is manifested as a scenario.

Sure, there are some pieces of WML that I wanted to use, but let's face it; the purpose is not to create cool WML but rather to be a fun campaign that tells a good story.

If any of you think I should keep that scenario and continue building, tell me. However, I have come to the conclusion that it does not flow with the storyline.
Last edited by archlich on April 13th, 2009, 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

I pretty much gave up on Fool's Errand due to trying to make a scenario like that, and I don't know when I'll be able to bother going back and finishing the job. Thus my recommendation is... don't bother. The only purpose of such a scenario would be to portray an exceedingly long journey.

On the other hand, if it's plot-necessary to have a dangerous journey, you could break up the journey into 2-3 scenarios, leaving you less of an immense task before the next release.
Necromancer (campaign)

archlich

Post by archlich »

Orcish Shyde wrote:I pretty much gave up on Fool's Errand due to trying to make a scenario like that, and I don't know when I'll be able to bother going back and finishing the job. Thus my recommendation is... don't bother. The only purpose of such a scenario would be to portray an exceedingly long journey.

On the other hand, if it's plot-necessary to have a dangerous journey, you could break up the journey into 2-3 scenarios, leaving you less of an immense task before the next release.
You pretty much restated what I just said.

1. It takes too long
2. It has no relevance to the plot, although such a journey may be necessary in a conflict to come... But I digress.

Instead of making a long journey scenario, I'm putting a few in about a conflict with some saurians on the journey to Alduin.
archlich

Post by archlich »

I have recently released the newest version of the campaign online with an early version of a confrontation with Mal-Hekuba which you may know from UtBS and IftU.

This is meant to be an incredibly difficult scenario. What I'm working on right now is making Mal-Hekuba attack in waves; after you defeat his first round of recruits he receives a large amount of money and attacks you either more viciously or with the approximate strength of your army at the moment.

Also, I have done to things for no other reason than for flavor:
A. I found a way to name the units that Mal-Hekuba recruits
B. I found a way to give the loyal trait to all units Mal-Hekuba recruits
Kelben

Post by Kelben »

Are you still working on this one? I found it promising at my first trial... :)
-WAR- Wesnoth Allied Rebels
archlich

Post by archlich »

Kelben wrote:Are you still working on this one? I found it promising at my first trial... :)
Yes I'm still working on it...

...slowly.

I am working on this thing alone, and my life is full of distractions from it. I am glad you find it promising, but I'd like you to know I'm open to suggestions. I have a very good idea of where this thing is going, but no matter how good I do it there will always be a better way...