Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
DUHH
Art Contributor

Era of Myths Portraits

Post by DUHH »

Warg-sketch, based on the sprite. Comments and critique much appreciated.
Attachments
Warg1.png
Warg1.png (122.16 KiB) Viewed 8229 times
JW

Re: The Era of Myths - try the campaigns! (1.4 only atm)

Post by JW »

DUHH wrote:Warg-sketch, based on the sprite. Comments and critique much appreciated.
Much <3 !! :D

That looks like it's based off the fenrir sprite:

It's fantastic! The only thing that strikes me as odd is his nose seems to bend more to the right than his face is pointed. Aside from that, feel free to make the head of the hammer bigger if you wish. I know there was a big discussion about the realism of it in another thread, but these guys are wolf-men creatures with great strength and agility. They can bust out a big hammer and not have to worry about it. :wink:

btw, I like how you gave him an armband: the sprite will need one added for team colorization later anyway, so you've already taken care of that in the portrait! Great job! :D
DUHH
Art Contributor

Re: The Era of Myths - try the campaigns! (1.4 only atm)

Post by DUHH »

JW wrote:The only thing that strikes me as odd is his nose seems to bend more to the right than his face is pointed.
:shock: Oh jeez, even with my post-drawing blind I should have spotted that one. :oops:
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Extended Era Portraits

Post by Turuk »

Split to avoid confusion with the work on the sprites currently being done by Ryorin.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
JW

Post by JW »

Turuk wrote:Split to avoid confusion with the work on the sprites currently being done by Ryorin.
That's cool, but you should probably make the title "Era of Myths Portraits" :shock:

ps, welcome back. :wink:
mnewton1

Post by mnewton1 »

JW wrote:
Turuk wrote:Split to avoid confusion with the work on the sprites currently being done by Ryorin.
That's cool, but you should probably make the title "Era of Myths Portraits" :shock:

ps, welcome back. :wink:
lol :lol2:

anyway. I think that the hammer is a bit small compared the the one on the sprite and the thought of a big fury wolf monster not carrying a big hammer

That is my 27 cents
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Era of Myths Portraits

Post by Turuk »

Sigh, apologies, I'm jet lagged like crazy and cannot sleep. Running on 25 hours awake and my mind is fried. I fixed the title.

As to reference to the portrait, it's simply incredibly, and easily beyond anything that has been done for UMC work so far. Having portraits such as these will help to flesh out the UMC campaigns and hopefully make authors work that much harder in order to attract the eye of one of the skilled artists who might do a few portraits for them.

Keep up the good work DUHH.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
JW

Post by JW »

Turuk wrote:Sigh, apologies, I'm jet lagged like crazy and cannot sleep. Running on 25 hours awake and my mind is fried. I fixed the title.
Thank you, my emperor. :wink:
As to reference to the portrait, it's simply incredibly, and easily beyond anything that has been done for UMC work so far. Having portraits such as these will help to flesh out the UMC campaigns and hopefully make authors work that much harder in order to attract the eye of one of the skilled artists who might do a few portraits for them.
I certainly hope so! :D
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Careful Turuk, Kitty might not like you maligning her IftU portraits by association =P

But you're right, this is a fantastic portrait. UMC is in serious need of work like this =D
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Lord Ork
Code Contributor

Post by Lord Ork »

Agreed with everybody except... why the elbow is cut? 1.6 portraits are required not to be cut on the sides, aren't them?
It is ok to correct me if my English is too bad.

Working on Cunnicula Civil War
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

False. They cannot be cropped on the top or the right. Bottom and left are fine.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

Thakns all!

Inked the portrait:
Attachments
Warg2.png
Warg2.png (130.51 KiB) Viewed 8011 times
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

thespaceinvader wrote:Careful Turuk, Kitty might not like you maligning her IftU portraits by association
True true, but nothing personal! ;)

I'm just more partial to ferociousness and fur then I am to the undead. :P Nice inking too, I like the minor details, such as the rings in the ears, the arm band, the bracelets.... they add a bit of character.
JW

Post by JW »

thespaceinvader wrote:Careful Turuk, Kitty might not like you maligning her IftU portraits by association =P

But you're right, this is a fantastic portrait. UMC is in serious need of work like this =D
lol, I don't think of IftU as UMC....Shadow_Master puts so much work into it I assume it's going mainline pretty soon.
DUHH wrote:Inked the portrait:
Can't wait to see it colored DUHH! :)
SouthernOracle

Post by SouthernOracle »

That is a great sketch! Just a quick observation though on the beckoning hand. If he was to extend all of his fingers, his index finger would be the longest on his hand. Maybe shorten the segment by his knuckle down..unless Wargs have this inherited trait :wink: