Wesnoth 1.6

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Wesnoth 1.6

Post by ivanovic »

Wesnoth 1.6 is out!
Thanks for your patience and now enjoy the brand new release. This time we do have real release notes that are even translated into many different languages. A lot of info is listed in there, just have a look at it. If this is not enough for you, there even is a full changelog listing all the changes since 1.4. A changelog with changes that might be visible to most users (and only includes these) is the players changelog. Though for most it is enough to just have a look at the release notes, the most important aspects are listed in there.
Some new screenshots were added to the screenshots page in the wiki.

Downloads
Sources:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... 2?download (215.0 MB) md5sum
Here is the xDelta for the sources:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... a?download (1.5.14 to 1.6, 2.0 MB)
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... a?download (1.6 to 1.6a, 0.5 MB)
Check http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7034 for info on using xdelta.

The Windows package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

The MacOSX package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

The OpenSolaris package is not available yet. Once it is you can find it on the download page.

Many of the Linux packages have already been created. All known packagers have been contacted. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to get them work you get on the Linux binaries site for the Linux binaries. Download links for the other supported systems will be listed at the downloads page once the binaries are available.

As a fallback you can also get the sources from http://files.wesnoth.org/ - you should first try to get files through SourceForge to help us save bandwidth. Please get the files from sourceforge.net if possible.

The multiplayer server for 1.6 is already up and running. This server can be used to play with 1.5.13, 1.5.14, 1.6 as well as all 1.6.x releases that are to follow. If you do encounter problems, please report them.

By now the add-on server already offers much content that should be completely compatible with 1.5.13, 1.5.14, 1.6 as well as all upcoming 1.6.x releases. Have a look at this forum post for the new rules which are to be followed from now on. If you encounter any problems with content from the add-on server not working as expected, please notice the content's author, most of them should be here in the forums.

If you find any bugs don't hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to post bugs first. Instructions for bug reporting can be found at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/ReportingBugs.

Enjoy!

PS: Within the next seven days anyone asking when the binary for xyz will be ready will be banned and the post will be deleted. Such questions just distract the developers and packagers and don't do any good, so better not ask them...
Bugreports in the forums tend to get forgotten. You will get better results by following the guidelines and report them in the bugtracker.
Jack the Ripper

Re: Wesnoth 1.6

Post by Jack the Ripper »

Thank you very much for another great release!

Sry, have no time to write, I'm gonna play Wesnoth now^^
Lancer

Post by Lancer »

This is Westastic! :shock:
Downloading right away!
"Lancers are among the bravest and most feared riders in all of Wesnoth."
Pk_JoA

Post by Pk_JoA »

Downloading right now! It comes just in time for me to familiarize with WML to make a campaing and/or translate some of them :D.

Thanks for such a great game! I bought Empire Total War, played 1 battle and I thought: BFW is better... I reboot to put Ubuntu and continue playing the best free game ever.
kevinmhk

Post by kevinmhk »

Congratulation, Wesnoth, for reaching yet another milestone, and thank you for all the work :)

...though I have already been playing 1.6 for days, as I noticed the executable was on Sourceforge.net since 18 March :lol2:
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

kevinmhk wrote:...though I have already been playing 1.6 for days, as I noticed the executable was on Sourceforge.net since 18 March :lol2:
This has various reasons:
1) For a new stable release we want translated announcements. We are fair to our translators and give them some days to really complete the translation of the announcement.
2) Packagers need several days to create the packages. Someties this is done within hours, sometimes it needs "many days". Since everyone is doing this stuff in their free time we can not make sure that it is done really soon after the sources are ready. Giving packagers some days makes it rather sure that at least Windows, OSX as well as "some" Linux binaries are available.
3) Sourceforge.net needs several days to propagate stuff between the various mirrors. So you basically have to upload it at least two days before "the masses" storm the servers and complain about slow downloads.
4) It is some time for "extra testing" for really critical bugs. Since we found some problems with the AI, everyone of you will most likely be downloading a package named "wesnoth-1.6a" including fixes for those.

As you see we do have 4 really good reasons to wait some days between giving the sources initially out and announcing so that "normal users" can directly enjoy it.
silene

Post by silene »

kevinmhk wrote:...though I have already been playing 1.6 for days, as I noticed the executable was on Sourceforge.net since 18 March :lol2:
There is a reason why we don't announce the release right away: Murphy's law says not to. If you downloaded the 1.6 version before we announced it, you may just want to download it again. (Notice the "a" in the version number of the executable, what do you think it means?)
X-Site

Post by X-Site »

Great work guys!

Updating Campaigns, Z-order, portraits. Its so fantastic, and so much youve done over all the time.
Thank you all!
Spookyspider

Post by Spookyspider »

I'm already downloading it, 40% done! 8)
"I don't read scripts - scripts read me"
TheMasterOfBattle

Post by TheMasterOfBattle »

Have had it already since it was released on sourceforge several days ago, but it still epic wins! :)
Sombra

Post by Sombra »

Outstanding many thx to all the developers
roushi-kun

Post by roushi-kun »

congrats once again for your latest stable version :D

i'm downloading it through torrent right now
Linux geek in training
chaoticwanderer

Post by chaoticwanderer »

I love this new version! It's so professional! It would be hard to tell this was made by a bunch of voluntary artists, developers and translators.

Thanks to all who lent a hand in this great game! :D
The RNG helps those who help themselves.
loldaolda

Kudos guys, thank you

Post by loldaolda »

Hello all people,

I want to appreciate the work of all the people who contributed to this project. Thank you very much, you do a GREAT job! :D

I have never heard of wesnoth before this release, that is maybe due to the fact that i 've just recently migrated to Linux and FREE software in general. In last month I've got rid of vista, installed ubuntu on clean drive and became supporting member of Free Software Foundation.

I played wesnoth for just about 20 minutes (didnt have more time, had to go to job), but 20minutes was enough to see that this is really subtle, quality, game. I was happy to see that there exist people who made this possible and did it for free.

I think this game is really important for linux community as a whole, because the only thing which we lack on linux are good quality games. We need more great people to start free projects on great games - for me games are not priority, but majority of windows people arguments by lack of games (that is their only valid argument :-))
Off course the problem is more complicated, for example due to MS contracts with hardware vendors and stuff like that, dont wanna speak about that now.
Point is, if there are more great games, more people will come. :)

I just wanted to show my appreciation, as i can see not many people actually do that so i want to thank also for all the people who do not post "thanks", but are still happy that somebody made thing like this and are reading this. I believe there are many people like that :)

keep it up people :D

Free Software, free society.
In_My_CrossHairs

Post by In_My_CrossHairs »

Downloading now! A lot of good updates for this release, so I am excited to play 8) .
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy.
Friedrich Nietzsche