RELEASE: Coming of the Storm - v0.3.2- 10.07.2020

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: RELEASE: Coming of the Storm - v1.13

Post by Velensk »

I had thought it was a gameplay/story thing where you were meant to lose. I was playing on hard difficulty, and I didn't see how I could win against twoscore level 2 outlaws in a state of perpetual night. It made sense to be once he died, that I wasn't supposed to win. It just would have saved me much time to know in advance.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
tillea

Post by tillea »

BTW, I continue to have problems to end the scenario flight. I attached a savegame.
Attachments
cots-Flight-Autospeichern29.gz
(29.9 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Have you dowloaded the latest version AND re-started the scenario?

If you did that and it still doesn't trigger, I described a solution on one of hte previous pages. It does require you to edit the scenario file a bit tough (and re-start the scenario again)
Light travels much faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
docrock

Post by docrock »

The only reason why Ployers death triggers victory is because it makes sense from a narrative persepective
jeez, i finally understood that. omg, yes, seen that way it really does make sense. and i always failed to see Ployer as "my" leader/commander, lol. i herewith take down my complaints about his death triggering victory and agree with you on that.

edit: "Orcish Incursion" played like a breeze now. well balanced, especially with that gold boost. if you don't kill him (green) before that turn you're dead meat (no spoilers). on the other hand, good work with Casivir (whatever you did to his Artificial Dumbness). he now does behave much more sanely, even recruits and returns to friendly villages for healing.

still, "Ashendale" does feel a bit too easy on default difficulty, current version, BfW 1.5.8, maybe send the knights in 1 turn later and the elvish army 2 turns later. that way it could get a bit more tight. as i am playing through this i am on turn 13, have already killed 2 leaders, got 43 (lol, again) units and still 284 gold with positive income. delaying reinforcements could help a bit here to increase difficulty.

edit2: finished in turn 14. really too easy if you take it on with damage dealers. as said to make this one harder reduce reinforcements for the player. and yep, in "Royal Cover" as in some before the information about new recruits is missing. also, in "Grave Matter" the objectives should be made more clear. like say, you not only got to kill the undead leader but everyone of them.

edit3: "Royal Cover" is much harder now.
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
Lykos

Post by Lykos »

Recently downloaded this scenario (within last few days). Couldn't get the end scenario to trigger for "The Flight" even though I had all 3 heroes near the red circle (1 hex away). Looked thru the forums here and saw your quick patch fix. I put it into the scenario and restarted it. Now, it ends as soon as I move Lotion the turn I find him saying it was victory. I don't get a chance to progress further thru the scenario to see the dialogue or meet the elf.
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

That usualyl happens only if an OR statement is present..lemme check.

Hmm...replace it wit jsut this:

Code: Select all

[event]
   name=moveto
           [filter]
                 id=Ellderon
                  x=15-17
                  y=1-2
           [/filter]

[endlevel]
                   result=victory
                   bonus=no
              [/endlevel]
   [/event]
Now you only have to bring Ellderon there.
I though I updated that scenario allready. Could have sworn I did.
Light travels much faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
Chep

Post by Chep »

I had the same problem with "Flight"...no matter how I arranged the 3 heroes around the hex I didn't win....used debug to advance...

concerning the ployer-has-to-die-scenario...

I made it till turn 14 of 14...and then he died..damn was I frustrated untill I noticed that I had actually won..

I'd add some discussion between Ployer and Ellderon along these lines:

E: "Lt. Ployer, they're to many, we have to retreat"
P: "Only over my dead body! There's no way the Imperial Army flees from bandits"

so that the player might get the idea that it could be a good thing if Ployer dies...

another thing:

when I had to protect the Elves from the Orcs...I killed the northernmost leader last (in turn 8 )..there seemed to the something missing from the following conversation..maybe elvish reinforcements?
did I miss out on something there?
in that case it might be good to add a trigger like "when 2 orcish leaders are dead..."

edit: args.. I think you might want to cut back on the undead in "Royal Cover" just a little..
(talking about the 2nd surge..right before the princess arrives)

there is just no need for more undead reinforcements when he's already got >50 unit running northwards, it just slows down the game...most of them will never make it anywhere near the princess anyway
fraquar

Post by fraquar »

My foray into this Campaign - take it for what it's worth (I consider myself a novice player).

Scenario 1: By the time I got to the camp in the first scenario the battle was long over. Ok, I'll read into this as a "young buck" getting sent on a "mission" to make sure he stays out of harms way kinda thing. It's about the only thing that makes sense otherwise because the Lieutenant was mopping the floor with the enemy without me. Still, I can live with that.

Scenario 2: Understand where I'm coming from when I say this (I'm a military man) - if I have a "Sergeant" and the absolute best way to win the scenario is to run to the top of the map, not spend a penny in recruiting help and and just stand there and watch another military man get essentially raped (and pray it ends quickly so I get even more gold to carry forward) - well you just lost me there. Whats the point of a military based Campaign after that - let alone getting "promoted".

I'll put this on the revisit this in a couple months list.
Tet

Post by Tet »

I totally disagree with the above.

The campaign is great and should make it into mainstream!

I have some questions:

I did not find the poison bow. Not even in the code. Where is it?

I can recruit any unit I could recruit in previous scenarios. Seems to be odd.

The healer "Melisa?" did not change to my side and did not stay with me.

Watching the AI fight each other is sometimes time consuming.

Moving hords of units accross big maps is the same.
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895
michchar

Post by michchar »

I haven't really played up to that level where theres a huge amount of undead chasing you, but i have a suggestion-make 5 or so uber powerful units (like instakill, or huge hitpoints) so the game doesn't slow down as much and you still have the player on the run. Sorry if this doesnt fit with your campaign, though, it's just a suggestion.

Also, I noticed that you like big maps (or at least last time I played.) That kinda made me quit the campaign. I mean, in the adventure-type scenarios, I'm fine with that, but when its not, and you and the enemy can recruit, then the scenario gets really long and kinda repetitive.
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

The Poison Bow is hidden in the dwarven caverns. Explore a bit and some of your units will notice there's something strange with a room (spiders be there). In that room there is a secret passage to the bow.

Yes, some maps are big and pretty taxing, but that's mostly the beginning ones. In some maps you only have a few units. and more maps like that are planned.

As far as coding goes Melisa works properly by me. Also, the player begin able to recall or hire dwarven units after exiting the caves is a problem I fined some time ago methinks. The same goes for the recalls in the fire two missions. Everything in your list should be killed.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
Tet

Post by Tet »

Thanks for the hint with the bow. I remember that line about the room, but did not consider it important.

About the recruiting list: The hero can recruit everything he was allowed in previous scenarios. So the recruiting list in the current scenario is pretty futile. I allowed myself to recruit elvish_archers in the first scenario (test.cfg there is not even recruiting in this scenario) It shows up ever since in my recruiting list. You have to order the stuff of the list again.

I had trouble with the poisonous bow.

It caused a problem when picking it up.

Somebody else related that to the PhoenixKnight allready.

I copied it in my current scenario (lucky meeting) and it caused a crash on the c++ level.

I copied in the first scenario (the test), restarted the campaign and it did the same.

If you know what happens, please fill me in.

Thats what I did:

Code: Select all

{POISONOUS_BOW 13 17}
{PLACE_IMAGE items/bow-elven.png 13 17}
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895
solsword
Code Contributor

Post by solsword »

So I've started to play through the campaign and have a few comments.

First, it's pretty difficult! Without knowing that I had to lose the second real mission, I got frustrated and gave up several times, and this was playing on easy difficulty. Since I didn't know that I was supposed to lose, I spent a lot of time loading from untenable positions to try to find some way to hold out better, without realizing that if I had played it to the end and barely survived alone, I would have won, and sacrificing my level 2 unit wouldn't have mattered. That was frustrating.

Second, as has been noted here the end condition for the "Flight" mission is broken. The problem is that you don't have first_time_only=no in the event that triggers the endlevel. Adding that should make it work as intended. You also need an e in "heroes" (spelled as "heros") in that event.

That's as far as I've gotten so far, but the campaign looks good, if a bit on the difficult side.
The Knights of the Silver Spire campaign.

http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~pmawhorter - my website.

Teamcolors for everyone! PM me for a teamcolored version of your sprite, or you can do it yourself. If you just happen to like magenta, no hard feelings?
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Hehe...I've been ignoring Wesnoth lately. Got involved in some other projects so this was put on hold. I'll see if I can find some free time to check the reported issues. Thanx for the reports.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Hi. It's me again.

Sorry to keep everyone waiting for fixes for so long, but I've been involving myself all over the place... my latest escapade involves joining the Infinity project :P

Just here to assure you that the campaign will be made 1.6.1. compatible (just downloading it now) and that I'm not dead :D
I'll start work tomorrow. That's a promise!

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<