Elvish Legacy

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Longbow

Elvish Legacy

Post by Longbow »

Hi,

This is a thread for any comments or ideas for my "Elvish Legacy" campaign.

Storyline coming up, if you actually want to play the campaign you probably should skip this bit.

The campaign focuses on a group of elves in Wesmere forest who are besieged by marauding orcs. Through some pretty unimaginative events, they end up with a large loyalist force facing a vast orcish invasion. Anyway, the orc warboss turns out to be a Lich masquerading as an orc leading to a pursuit by our elves. This chase puts you up against nagas, orcs, saurians, dark elves and undead (and possibly more when I think of something) until the final confrontation with Mal'Alkar.
My aim is to have lots of variety in the last few missions, from mountain passes and flat ice fields to swamps, and varying the bad guys from generic orcs and undead to different races and more diverse units.

I have 5 scenarios done at the moment, all pretty playable, available on the addons server.

Things to add:
Map in between scenarios
Sound as Addryn arrives
More dialogue
Scenario 6: Featuring dwarves
Scenario 7: Ice Fields
Scenario 8: Decaying Land (Swamps, orc zombies etc etc.)
Scenario 9: Perhaps undead in destroyed town?
Scenario 10: Final confrontation
Scenario 11: Resolution, they all live happily ever after as usual...
Modify the recruit list

Any comments/ideas welcome...
:)
My campaign, Elvish Legacy
My inventively named Era
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Elvish Legacy

Post by Turuk »

In the menu to choose the campaign, the description reads "the that."

Scenario 1
-Thier to Their in story part.
-Elvish Hunter does not use the bola attack, but the sword attack even for the ranged bola.

So these were the notes I was writing earlier playing your campaign, but then I found a bigger problem. I went to load the campaign where I left off, and I got the following error.
Attachments
Picture 1.png
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

Thanks for pointing those corrections out. Spellings fixed (I hope) and as for the hunter everything seems fine with me, perhaps you mistake the swish of his blade as he releases the bola for the sword anim?

As for the big error, I have had that but am unsure how to fix it. Everything seems to work properly once loaded though...

Is "nown"or something the file for that? I don't know how to fix it...

I'll also put the latest version with 7 scenarios up, the last few are less polished though.
Attachments
hunter-ranged-4.png
hunter-ranged-4.png (2.67 KiB) Viewed 8139 times
My inventively named Era
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Longbow wrote:Thanks for pointing those corrections out. Spellings fixed (I hope) and as for the hunter everything seems fine with me, perhaps you mistake the swish of his blade as he releases the bola for the sword anim?
Possibly, though in the past I thought just the arm moved on the attack, I think it confuses me because he moves forward and swishes the blade at the enemy so it looks like he is attacking with his sword.
Longbow wrote:As for the big error, I have had that but am unsure how to fix it. Everything seems to work properly once loaded though...
Yes, everything seemed to work fine once it was loaded, but I thought I would put out that this comes up every time you load the campaign.

I'll be working most of today but I will play more tonight and post more feedback for you.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

Thanks, it's appreciated.

Note: With the hunter, I did not make the graphics. It comes from Shadow Master's IftU.
I am terrible at any sort of pixel-art, recolouring is about my limit.

Do you have any idea how to fix the big error? I used to get something similar ages ago with EE saves, but unlike normal problems it doesn't seem to reference a file where whatever is going wrong.

Also, can anyone tell me if they can/cannot see the map in between scenarios? It works fine on my computer's Linux where I made the campaign, but I downloaded it onto windows and you just get a black screen with the dots and crosses appearing on it.
My inventively named Era
domichan

Post by domichan »

I'm on a mac using Tiger and i don't get the map. Also ... When i finish "ice fields" it just goes back to the start of "ice fields" again. and
midget on a chicken (dwarf king) far too suicidal for me :)
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

Ty for feedback.

First, the scenario loop is because I have no 8th scenario yet.

The "midget on a chicken" as you so aptly put it, did that to me too on the mountain pass one, however I set him and suicidal goblin wolf rider to passive on that.

Do you mean he still likes the good 'ol kamikaze on Ice Fields? Or have I just not uploaded the latest version of Through Mountains? I can set him to passive if this is Ice Fields.

As for the map (story map u mean?), I get this on my windows version, though I'm not sure why, fine on OpenSuse where I made it...
Anyhow, I'll look into it, ty again for posting as my thread was slipping into page 2 where few people go :wink:
Last edited by Longbow on January 31st, 2009, 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
My inventively named Era
domichan

Post by domichan »

Cheers for the explanation. :)
the midget does it on the ice fields. Not a thing to change I think ... restarted and sent some ponies to help. make the scenario more interesting (though i would have killed him myself if i'd known).
Game play is good though i do tend to have lots of gold (am i really saying this). Made the music downloaders scenario (pirates?) a little easy (mid level).
Looking forward to more.
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

Ah! I just changed leader on Ice to passive and uploaded before I saw your comment. Oh well, I'll change him back next revision.
domichan wrote:Game play is good
domichan wrote:Looking forward to more.
Thanks for the positive comments :D

As for the gold, what difficulty do you play it at? I might up the Corsair (Pirates) gold, should I lessen the gold bonus? I think it is just default at the moment...

As I say, I just uploaded a new revision, no new levels just minor fixes and I hope that the story map is fixed but I'll reboot to windows in a mo and check.

Anyway ty loads and btw, if on "Invasion" you let General Hawking die (or Debug and kill him) you get a last-stand scenario to play (totally imbalanced but maybe fun) but make sure to have plenty of people to recall as recruiting is disabled :wink:
My inventively named Era
domichan

Post by domichan »

playing at mid level. Corsairs need a bit more cash methinks but MY reward for slaughter seems reasonable
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

Ok, will do. Do you reckon giving them about 75 more gold is enough/too much?
My inventively named Era
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

Sry for double posting but this is a different subject, I was just wondering if anyone can tell me how to add sound (horse movement) to a MOVE_UNIT macro thingy, for scenario 1.

Edit: Yo, Turuk, I think I fixed the big error prob btw. As part of my latest scheme (learning python) I was in terminal mode and then I happened to run Wesnoth. Once I quitted, I noticed in the terminal it mentioned something about the Elvish Legacy translation folder. I think I fixed it. Anyway, short story shorter, it should be all good now.

My inventively named Era
ariondys

Post by ariondys »

:) Hi
Feedback from just playing now:

scenario 2:
Addry the Dragoon comes with me. The Addry Dragoon is recallable... I have 2 of him now. I wonder if they both will live and what will happen
--naturally the computer controlled humans bonzaii across the river rather than try to hold the ford, maybe I will see what happens later.

Ariondys
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

Thanks for the feedback, I feared my thread had died :)

I think the Addry issue is fixed in the latest version so you may want to check if you have this. (0.0.9 - hopefully)
ariondys wrote:bonzaii
Do you mean banzai? or Kamikaze? I think bonzaii (bonsai) is to do with miniature trees (and did you perhaps get this from CoD?), however I know what you mean. I could set the ai to specifically protect the location, or be in guardian mode, but I don't find this too much of a problem.
My inventively named Era
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

Perhaps this approach is better, copied from some other campaign thread:

Feedback is appreciated, I want to make this campaign as good as possible.
(also pls note, the last scenario (7) loops back to itself because I have not made any more, this is not a bug)

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the campaign on?
(2) How difficult did you find the campaign? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the campaign objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the campaign?
(6) How fun do you think the campagin is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the campaign to make it more fun?
(8) Any grammatical mistakes in dialogue/story text?
(9) Did you find any problems/things that seemed weird?
My inventively named Era