Dead Water 1.0 for BfW 1.8

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Merman campaign: Dead Water (0.9.6)

Post by beetlenaut »

lastjuan wrote:Thank you for such a fantastic campgain!
You're welcome!
lastjuan wrote:The only thing that I don't particularly like is that you had play three scenarios on the same map
I'm actually working on that. In the final scenario, the map is going to include more of the surrounding area, have lots of new bridges and stuff, and start the mermen in the bottom corner instead of the middle. That makes it a much different map to play, and it looks different too. I'm hoping it's different enough to solve that issue. This should be in the next version, but I keep getting too busy to finish it, so we'll see.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
docrock

Post by docrock »

definitely one great campaign. played it through the second time now and was impressed with the progress it made. and yea, i can only agree to the other people telling about how to learn something about the mermen. makes it worth it. especially them being drake-killers.
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Hello,
I like your campaign a lot. Everything is well designed.
Now, I am working on own.
If you do not mind, could you tell me how did you make background map of west coast of far north?
That is amazingly less than 200K. Even blank wesnoth style map is over 700K.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

SkyOne wrote:I like your campaign a lot. Everything is well designed.
Now, I am working on own.
I'm glad you like it. I hope you have fun with yours!
SkyOne wrote:If you do not mind, could you tell me how did you make background map of west coast of far north?
I used several programs and resources to make the map, but most of it was done in Inkscape--a free vector graphics program. I stole the border and some mountains from the main map using GIMP--a free paint program.
SkyOne wrote:That is amazingly less than 200K. Even blank wesnoth style map is over 700K.
I saved it as a jpg instead of png. That makes a huge difference. Also, the jpg map that comes with the game was saved at 100% quality, and mine was saved at 90%. That cuts the size in half again. Also, my map is low on detail.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Wow.
Thank you for telling me kindly and minutely.
I will refer to them.
You have a lot of technics and knowledge.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Merman campaign: Dead Water (0.9.7)

Post by beetlenaut »

New version!
I made some major changes:
  • I completely redesigned the last scenario. It still takes place at the merfolks' home, but they find it much changed when they arrive. The map is just different enough that it is a very different tactical challenge. I found it quite a bit more fun, myself.
  • I made just a few little changes to the second-to-last scenario (The Flaming Sword). The changes are small, but it's much harder than before.
  • On the fourth scenario, Slavers, you can now choose when to have the slaves revolt! If you choose the proper moment, you can make things quite a bit easier on yourself. But not too easy, because I gave your enemies more gold, too.
  • The campaign now uses the new gold carryover system from 1.5! (Only 40% of your gold is carried over, but it is added to the minimum for the next scenario.) I made some changes to the minimums, and think it's pretty well balanced this way. If you see any major problems, let me know.
  • I backported the new Silver Mage animations.
  • I made many other small changes and fixes.
If you haven't tried it in a while, you should! With large changes like this, there's bound to be a new bug or two. Let me know in this thread if you find one.

Thanks everybody for your comments and suggestions! You've helped to make the campaign better.
Attachments
DW-demo.gz
If you've already played the whole thing, and just want to see what the redesigned last level looks like, you can use this save of mine. No cheating, now!
(55.45 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

It is going to be pleasurable to play.
I have not played since version 9.5 released(I have played three times before version 9.5 was published.).
I also have seen your teleporting.gif which is incredible.
(but right now, I have to concentrate to make my first scenario work that you suggested at other forum.)
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

SkyOne wrote:I have played three times before version 9.5 was published.
Three times? That might make you my biggest fan!
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

SkyOne wrote:I have played three times before version 9.5 was published.
beetlenaut wrote:Three times? That might make you my biggest fan!
Oh, yeah!

I had been waiting for somebody create a campaign for Mermen, because they are graphically built well and have healers in the race, also Dead Water is well arranged the size, the story, and attractive items, but I can say that it makes me one of the biggest fans. I am sure that playing dead water makes a lot of people your biggest fun.

p.s.(thanks for telling me before. I was able to make farnorth.png small enough.)

Keep doing, please. :smile:
Last edited by SkyOne on February 13th, 2009, 4:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
The1exile

Post by The1exile »

I've just downloaded this campaign to try it out, but before I can comment on gameplay, I'd just like to say that there's a minor error in the initial story text - it says "hoards of orcs", when I presume it means "hordes".

Sorry to nitpick :oops:
Rubies for passion, rubies for revenge.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

The1exile wrote:"hoards of orcs"
Doesn't everyone keep a few dozen orcs in their closet? I'm not going to upload a new version with just that one spelling change, but I will fix it soon.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
opensourcejunkie

Post by opensourcejunkie »

beetlenaut wrote:Doesn't everyone keep a few dozen orcs in their closet?
Well I think it's important to be prepared
what if the Bible's claims about Christ depicted accurate, verifiable history? given some research, you might be surprised at the evidence...
Cheradenine

Post by Cheradenine »

"Archaeologists were startled to discover that the mermen of ancient Wesnoth employed orcs as a medium of exchange."
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I've ported the campaign to 1.5!
It seems to work fine, but I haven't played it all the way through yet, either. I hope there are no bugs, but if you find one, let me know.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
opensourcejunkie

Re: Merman campaign: Dead Water (0.9.8)

Post by opensourcejunkie »

awesome :-)
what if the Bible's claims about Christ depicted accurate, verifiable history? given some research, you might be surprised at the evidence...